Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

CAN Excel CNA?

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
eepee
Lemon Slice

CAN Excel CNA?

Postby eepee » June 17th, 2019, 11:23 am

I have a weird problem I have never come across with any letter combination.

In Exceel 2002

In a record-keeping portfolio spreadsheet (which I have been using for a long time), the first column is a list of Epics.

If I type CNA it 'helpfully' gets converted to CAN. e.g. 'CNA Gets entered as CAN
It doesn't matter if I preceed the entry with an apostrophe. e.g. 'CNA Gets entered as CAN
It doesn't matter if I preceed the entry with a double quote e.g "CNA Gets entered as "CAN
It doesn't matter if the whole column is set to Text.
It happens in any cell in the spreadsheet.

The only thing that holds CNA is with start and end double quotes e.g. "CNA" Gets entered as "CAN"

Weird! The only thing I can think of is that CNA is a function but if so, I cannot find it listed.

Regards,ep

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Re: CAN Excel CNA?

Postby Itsallaguess » June 17th, 2019, 11:28 am

eepee wrote:
Weird! The only thing I can think of is that CNA is a function but if so, I cannot find it listed.

This is the auto-correct 'feature' of Excel getting in the way......

Go to -

Tools -> AutoCorrect

Find the entry that says 'Replace: cna With: can'

Delete it.

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » June 17th, 2019, 12:04 pm

Autocorrect should ignore words in UPPERCASE (if the relevant box is ticked in file>options>proofing)

My box is ticked and it still corrects CNA to CAN....

Julian
Lemon Quarter

Postby Julian » June 17th, 2019, 12:27 pm

Funnily enough I dumped all of my Centrica shares recently and after doing it felt much better not only because of removing my sense that the divi was too good to be true and soon to be cut but, as I entered all(*) the CGT events I also remember thinking to myself "and another plus is that I won't have to have the CNA/CAN fight with Excel every time I need to enter something about CNA"!

Anyway, although it is frustrating the solution for me has been simple although still a mild (now ex-) irritation. I do indeed get "CNA" changed to "CAN" whenever I enter it into Excel but at least for me (Office Home & Student 2016 on Windows 10) if I then simply go back and correct it to "CNA" Excel seems to get the message and doesn't attempt to change it a second time. I do use the single quote at the start of the input to explicitly indicate a text field but I've never needed to use double quotes.

- Julian

(*) I held CNA in multiple broker accounts

Percol351

Postby Percol351 » June 17th, 2019, 12:28 pm

We used a chemical at work which we abbreviated to ACN and both word and excel used to change it to CAN. Always had to go back and check it and it usually took about 4 or 5 changes before it would accept it even when ACN was added to the custom dictionary.

eepee
Lemon Slice

Postby eepee » June 17th, 2019, 2:01 pm

Well I tried Autocorrect and it still did not work! Didn't matter if I highlighted the item beforehand or not, whether uppercase or not.

I even extracted a few lines to another spreadsheet in case anybody wanted to have a play with it.

Believing that the problem, as had been pointed out, was in Autocorrect I even searched for ways of disabling it. Amazingly my 2002 version wasn't covered by any of the hits, and, in line with MS's policy of changing what is not broken, it would appear that each version has a different way of achieving this.

I searched the program help file, first bypassing the "Requires Office Assistant" or whatever and guess what? Under Autocorrect it tells you to untick "Replace text as you type".

Done and problem solved!

Many thanks to all that tried - I think selling my recently bought CNA would be a bit extreme although, with the dividend already trapped, it could well have been an option! :o)

Regards,
ep

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”