Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to gpadsa,Steffers0,lansdown,Wasron,jfgw, for Donating to support the site

Getting the kids started in computing.

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
JoyofBrex8889
2 Lemon pips

Getting the kids started in computing.

Postby JoyofBrex8889 » June 19th, 2019, 3:38 am

So my 9year old boy is showing interest in computing. He has done a bit of scratch programming in the past. I am considering giving him a Raspberry Pi to mess around with, or maybe a Lego mind-storms set. Can anyone recommend kits and projects that would give him a positive experience?

paullidd
2 Lemon pips

Re: Getting the kids started in computing.

Postby paullidd » June 19th, 2019, 6:48 am

The Raspberry Pi is a great option and I would highly recommend the CamJam kits to start off with physical computing, there are also loads of projects well documented on line and a load of books either free pdf or real books that are inexpensive, the rapberry pi site is also very good with a helpful blog site.
I believe that the Lego Minstorms is very good also but more expensive. There a lego mindstorms competitions that schools can get involved with, but usually the kits need to be sponsored for the schools.

production100
2 Lemon pips

Postby production100 » June 19th, 2019, 8:48 am

Many schools use the Raspberry Pi or similar as teaching aids. I would talk to the school and find out what they are using for their students and think seriously about getting the same equipment. Don't forget some schools also have clubs for a particular computer system. If you fit with what the school is using it will give him more 'connectivity' with like minded people.

jofc

Postby jofc » June 19th, 2019, 9:47 am

I would second the CamJam kit - one with temperature sensor, not just buttons & LEDs

The other thing to consider would be a cheap arduino clone.
Its not a fully blown computer you can connect keyboard & mouse to
Its more electronics based and you connect it to a usb port on your pc
But I find it easier to connect the electronics to it & you can get kits that include the board & some sensors etc to connect to it dirt cheap from china
Processor boards are ~ £2 so you can buy several if you want to make more than 1 project

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Postby Slarti » June 19th, 2019, 10:18 am

JoyofBrex8889 wrote:So my 9year old boy is showing interest in computing. He has done a bit of scratch programming in the past. I am considering giving him a Raspberry Pi to mess around with, or maybe a Lego mind-storms set. Can anyone recommend kits and projects that would give him a positive experience?

Would it be worth talking to his school to check what, if anything, they are doing for ITC, just so that you don't duplicate or conflict with them?

Slarti

genou
Lemon Quarter

Postby genou » June 19th, 2019, 5:47 pm

JoyofBrex8889 wrote: Can anyone recommend kits and projects that would give him a positive experience?

Not as such; but get him something that teaches him to touch type properly along the way - it will make a huge difference to how he gets on with keyboards. I started my children on Mavis Teaches Typing, but I assume that is now an antique - it used a game/reward approach which worked well.

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Postby ReformedCharacter » June 19th, 2019, 6:12 pm

Worth having a look at MagPi (the RPi magazine) to get some idea of the things that can be done with them. Lots of projects that might be of interest to your son. Encouraging children to develop an interest in computing is highly worthwhile IMO.

https://www.raspberrypi.org/magpi/

RC

Archtronics
Lemon Pip

Postby Archtronics » June 19th, 2019, 6:25 pm

I would definitely recommend something that involves coding and electronics such as Arduino, very sought after skill in the engineering jobs market atm.

Projects wise I’d pick something he is interested in, remote control car for example, robots etc.

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”