Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to gpadsa,Steffers0,lansdown,Wasron,jfgw, for Donating to support the site

Upgrading an old bloke from XP

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
BobbyD
Lemon Half

Re: Upgrading an old bloke from XP

Postby BobbyD » June 19th, 2019, 5:58 pm

genou wrote:
BobbyD wrote: You might need to switch to Money Sunset edition for OS compatibility though.

Just to butt in on this one - that's the US version of Money. More likely MyNameIsUrl is using a UK version. W10 will play happily with the UK equivalent which is Money 2005 UK ( free ) - google "Money2005-UK-QFE2" to find the installer .

Cool. Haven't touched money since probably around 2005, so that was a rapid google...

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » June 19th, 2019, 5:59 pm

genou wrote:
BobbyD wrote:
You might need to switch to Money Sunset edition for OS compatibility though.

Just to butt in on this one - that's the US version of Money. More likely MyNameIsUrl is using a UK version. W10 will play happily with the UK equivalent which is Money 2005 UK ( free ) - google "Money2005-UK-QFE2" to find the installer .

Here's a download link for the UK version of Microsoft Money 2005 - http://moneymvps.org/downloads/files/2005/Money2005-UK-QFE2.exe

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Howard
Lemon Quarter

Postby Howard » June 19th, 2019, 6:38 pm

You might want to keep things simple by going to Currys and purchasing something like the following for £429:

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing ... 2-pdt.html

I helped someone purchase a laptop there recently. They were very helpful and handled a couple of queries after purchase very well.

Worth a visit to seek out one of their more knowledgeable staff - they are usually in the help area at my local store.

regards

Howard

PS My Medion PC bought around six years ago from Asda for around £350 is still faster for browsing than Mrs H's Apple Ipad.

scotia
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotia » June 19th, 2019, 7:50 pm

MyNameIsUrl wrote:- but my impression was that big boxes were better value if smallness isn't on my list of requirements.

That also used to be my opinion, but I don't think it really holds nowadays - Laptops are mass produced, boxes are not. So I suspect the box solution may not be cheaper. And provided your existing screen is relatively modern, you should be able to attach it to the laptop - and have a dual screen setup. That's what I have done.

Lanark
Lemon Quarter

Postby Lanark » June 19th, 2019, 10:58 pm

Hate to be the killjoy but the archived version of the download page is here
https://web.archive.org/web/20120505075 ... x?id=26915

which states
Money 2005 QFE's were traditionally delivered using an in-product download and update mechanism. The infrastructure for maintaining that system has been deprecated. As such, we are providing an alternate download method for Money 2005 users to receive the latest QFE bits.

Supported operating systems: Windows 7, Windows Vista, Windows XP

Theres is nothing there about it being 'open sourced' or free for anyone to use if they don't already have a Money 2005 licence.

They probably arent going to come chasing after anyone, but the fact it is also not supported on Windows 10 means with every system update you could be hit with some obvious or non-obvious break in functionality.
I think it is time to find an alternative, in the long run it will be easier than waiting for Money to break.

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » June 20th, 2019, 1:14 pm

New PC.

For a main PC workhorse I still favour a big(ish) box desktop (my current is a 'mid' tower and I wouldn't go smaller than that)
Easy to work on if you want to upgrade (add RAM, SATA drives, PCIe expansion cards) without squinting and finding your fingers are too fat to get to the bit you need to without dismantling the whole thing.

The slim form factor towers can be quite limited for internal space (even if the motherboard has all the sockets for expansion). Been there done that on a couple of machines I look after for others. A PITA.

If you have no qualms about practical upgradeability then there are some decent 'mini' PC's floating around, nice small form factor, passive or actively cooled, decent specs.
https://www.google.com/search?ei=7m0LXe ... nZ_n8JL7NA
They are at a slight premium price wise to a standard box but they do look cool. (I'd happily get one as a secondary machine).
Just make sure you get what you need upfront specs wise as some of them have soldered components (like the RAM) so aren't user upgradeable (I'd stay away from those).

Likewise with many laptops these days (especially ultrabooks), lots of soldered components so either spec it for the long haul or check to see if RAM/SATA/NVMe et al is on standard non soldered sockets and how easy it is to upgrade stuff.
Ifixit ( https://www.ifixit.com/) has teardown/upgradeability scores for quite a lot of laptops, some of the more popular ones score terribly (use of hot glue, bonding) so always worth checking first.

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » June 20th, 2019, 5:01 pm

Infrasonic wrote:...especially ultrabooks....

I don't think you really meant Ultrabook™ as that s a Dell trademark only applied to their top end Lattitude business laptops (which are designed to be fully serviceable).

The low-end netbooks are probably what you were thinking of....

tea42
Lemon Slice

Postby tea42 » June 20th, 2019, 5:33 pm

Forget boot up waits, viruses, long winded upgrades, ongoing software costs and frustrating technical gobbledygook. Dump Windoze and buy any Chromebook you fancy and a Canon All in One printer scanner PIXMA MG3650 £30 from Argos. Can be less than £200 overall with lightning fast operation and results.

Did this a few years ago as an old bloke and never looked back...

more

Postby more » June 20th, 2019, 6:05 pm

If you're reasonably clear what you need to do on your machine, just go to PC world and buy the best and cheapest machine to do the job. You might not be able to use your word program on a new machine, some versions will only allow a single use on a single machine. The chrome book is a good choice for simple usage, I recently bought an HP crome book at a very reasonable price. The downside is you will need to download apps from chrome store. Currently, word is not available, however, Microsoft is offering a free app to an online version, but I have not used it.

BobbyD
Lemon Half

Postby BobbyD » June 20th, 2019, 7:05 pm

For a main PC workhorse I still favour a big(ish) box desktop (my current is a 'mid' tower and I wouldn't go smaller than that)
Easy to work on if you want to upgrade (add RAM, SATA drives, PCIe expansion cards) without squinting and finding your fingers are too fat to get to the bit you need to without dismantling the whole thing.

The case I have had with best access is also the smallest

Breelander wrote:
Infrasonic wrote:...especially ultrabooks....

I don't think you really meant Ultrabook™ as that s a Dell trademark only applied to their top end Lattitude business laptops (which are designed to be fully serviceable).

The low-end netbooks are probably what you were thinking of....

Intel set out to create a new type of device that would fill the gap — they called it the Ultrabook. Intel had long provided design sheets to manufacturers to help them implement Intel microprocessors, but this reflected a new ambition: to create a new product for PC manufacturers who had not yet developed it for themselves and shepherd it from concept to end-user device. The term “Ultrabook” was trademarked by Intel and given precise specifications to protect its meaning. An Ultrabook could weigh no more than 3.1 pounds, could be no more than 0.71 inches thick and had to provide at least five hours of battery life. If companies wanted to participate in the Ultrabook market, they would have to meet those criteria (with Intel’s help, of course).

- https://newsroom.intel.com/articles/int ... #gs.kccobs

...my ultrabook was Dell but it wasn't a latitude.

also: https://www.techradar.com/uk/news/mobil ... ts-1054355

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » June 20th, 2019, 7:36 pm

BobbyD wrote:
Intel set out to create a new type of device that would fill the gap — they called it the Ultrabook.....

My mistake, the Ultrabook™ trademark belongs to Intel.

I've only seen the name actually applied (literally, as a sticker next to the Intel Core i7 one) on Latitudes, but I now see it is used in the literature for other Dell models. The XPS 13 in your link is fully serviceable too, so my point still stand that it's not a general principle that "especially ultrabooks" have all the components soldered in place.

schober
Lemon Pip

Postby schober » June 23rd, 2019, 6:28 pm

Why not use Puppy linux on the XP box?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puppy_Linux
http://puppylinux.com/
There isn't anything to install; the OS resides on a CD/DVD/USB stick.
Ive been using Wary Puppy on a XP box with only 256mb ram for years. I did have to instal a more modern browser which had an easy way of turning javascript off (palemoon + javascript switch)
THe only situation where I need more ram is browsing websites which use lots & lots of horrible nasty memory hugging javascript (small amounts are ok)

If you're still using XP try turning javascript off when browsing- it should speed up page loads , is safer and pages are often more readable! (fewer adverts)

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » June 24th, 2019, 1:57 pm

Breelander wrote:
BobbyD wrote:
Intel set out to create a new type of device that would fill the gap — they called it the Ultrabook.....

My mistake, the Ultrabook™ trademark belongs to Intel.

I've only seen the name actually applied (literally, as a sticker next to the Intel Core i7 one) on Latitudes, but I now see it is used in the literature for other Dell models. The XPS 13 in your link is fully serviceable too, so my point still stand that it's not a general principle that "especially ultrabooks" have all the components soldered in place.

I stand by my original post, based on having read literally hundreds of reviews.
Ultra books as referred to by the review sites have nothing to do with any brand, it is a generic description for ' powerful thin and light' laptops, which by definition are going to be more limited for space.
Hence they tend to have more soldered components on average when compared to non ultrabooks.
So it's something to be aware of before purchasing because just assuming you can upgrade components (like the RAM) after purchase might well lead you down a dead end. Pretty much all the decent reviews will mention it these days, if not explicitly in the text then generally in the 'minuses' box.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Dell+xp ... e&ie=UTF-8

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”