Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

No printing by wireless when p.c. online

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
Jonetc15
Lemon Slice

No printing by wireless when p.c. online

Postby Jonetc15 » June 19th, 2019, 12:17 pm

My printer (HP) prints by wireless command from my p.c. (Dell, using Windows 7) offline, and until recently printed by wireless online. At the moment I have to download documents and print them offline.

I wonder whether this has anything to do with my FireFox being in private mode (which has been fine for years)?

Or could it be due to my ESET security, which has also been fine for several years?

Any suggestions for solving this problem will of course be gratefully received.

Jon

Nocton
Lemon Slice

Re: No printing by wireless when p.c. online

Postby Nocton » June 20th, 2019, 8:54 am

Jonetc15 wrote:My printer (HP) prints by wireless command from my p.c. (Dell, using Windows 7) offline, and until recently printed by wireless online. At the moment I have to download documents and print them offline.

I don't understand this. Are you saying that on the same PC you can print documents from a word processor such as Word, etc. but not from a web page? This would be rather odd and should have nothing to do with printer or browser setup. If printing an actual web page, then the Print command is under File, if printing a document then the browser will have opened your application, e.g. Word, and it then should be identical to the same document opened after you have saved it. So could you explain how it is you can't print - can you not see the printer in the printer list? - or can you select a printer but nothing happens?

Otherwise please explain what "printed by wireless online" means.

Maroochydore
Lemon Slice

Postby Maroochydore » June 21st, 2019, 11:06 pm

I have the same (similar) issue. When I click Print the printer logo sits in the system tray but nothing happens.

I found the way around this is to open the printer from the system tray and uncheck the box that says Use Printer Offine. As soon as this is unchecked the printer starts to print.

I have not found a way to keep this box unchecked, it keeps reverting to ticking the box itself. I've given up trying and just use the method described.

Jonetc15
Lemon Slice

Postby Jonetc15 » June 23rd, 2019, 8:46 pm

Thanks Nocton for your answer, and my apologies for not replying sooner. The printer won't print a document on-line - i.e. direct from a web page - while the p.c. is on-line. But it does print docs when it is off-line.

Maroochydore wrote:I have the same (similar) issue. When I click Print the printer logo sits in the system tray but nothing happens.

I found the way around this is to open the printer from the system tray and uncheck the box that says Use Printer Offine. As soon as this is unchecked the printer starts to print.

I have not found a way to keep this box unchecked, it keeps reverting to ticking the box itself. I've given up trying and just use the method described.

Many thanks Maroochydore for your comment. I have to confess that I am so IT-unskilled that I'm not sure how to find the system tray. I have tried... I'll greatly appreciate some brief advice. Sounds as though you have the answer.

ATB

Jon

Maroochydore
Lemon Slice

Postby Maroochydore » June 24th, 2019, 9:22 pm

Jonetc15 wrote: I have to confess that I am so IT-unskilled that I'm not sure how to find the system tray. I have tried... I'll greatly appreciate some brief advice. Sounds as though you have the answer.

Assume you're on Win 10. The system tray is that bit at the bottom right of the screen. There is block at the bottom (the taskbar) and the system tray is to the right and shows (well mine does) a wi-fi strength icon, a speaker sound icon, the date and time and the notifications icon. Others can be added or taken away as required.

When I ask the computer to print and it doesn't, a little printer icon sits itself there as well.

Hope that is of assistance, I'm no expert either!

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Postby Slarti » June 25th, 2019, 10:29 am

Maroochydore wrote:
Jonetc15 wrote: I have to confess that I am so IT-unskilled that I'm not sure how to find the system tray. I have tried... I'll greatly appreciate some brief advice. Sounds as though you have the answer.

Assume you're on Win 10. The system tray is that bit at the bottom right of the screen. There is block at the bottom (the taskbar) and the system tray is to the right and shows (well mine does) a wi-fi strength icon, a speaker sound icon, the date and time and the notifications icon. Others can be added or taken away as required.

When I ask the computer to print and it doesn't, a little printer icon sits itself there as well.

Same for Win7, as mentioned in the OP

Slarti

Jonetc15
Lemon Slice

Postby Jonetc15 » June 26th, 2019, 12:34 pm

Maroochydore wrote:

Very many thanks indeed, Maroochydore. I followed your instructions, and on my first attempt the printer icon appeared, showing on the menu some options in black (which a click could activate) and some grey options. “Use printer off-line” was grey with its box ticked, but it did not respond to a click.
At my second attempt the printer icon did not appear, but was revealed under “Show hidden icons”. I fiddled around and tried to print two more documents.

Perhaps I should add that my PC showed that the printer was being prepared. In “My computer” I could not find a list of documents waiting to be printed (and which I wanted finally to cancel). However, as a quite separate job I was able to print a down-loaded document ‘off-line’.

Anyway, thank you again for your trouble in trying to help, and best wishes

Jon
P.S. Thanks alos to Slarti for confirming that Win 7 is the same process as Win 10.

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”