Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Windows 10 VPN server

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
swill453
Lemon Half

Windows 10 VPN server

Postby swill453 » June 23rd, 2019, 3:45 pm

Has anyone played about with the Windows 10 VPN server capability?

I set mine up using the instructions described here https://www.howtogeek.com/135996/how-to ... -software/

For simplicity I'm trying to get it working within my house wifi network, so at the moment don't yet need port forwarding set up on my router.

I have set my Windows 10 system up with a fixed IP address, and enabled VPN access to a specific user as per the Howtogeek instructions.

I then try to create a VPN connection from my Android phone using its VPN setup, specifying PPTP, the server's IP address, and the username and password. There's also an option for "PPP encryption (MPPE)", I've tried both setting and unsetting this with no difference in the result.

What happens is that Android phone says "Connecting..." for about a minute, then says "Unsuccessful". No other error message.

If anyone's done this before, have you any idea why it's not working? Or where I might look for debugging or logging information regarding the connection attempt?

As far as I can tell the Windows firewall is allowing incoming connections on port 1723.

Scott.

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”