Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh, for Donating to support the site

W7 Microsoft conspiracy theory.

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
88V8
Lemon Half

W7 Microsoft conspiracy theory.

Postby 88V8 » June 26th, 2019, 8:17 pm

Microsoft slowing Windows 7, a search that produces a plethora of hits going back several years.
Conspiracy theory.
But not necessarily wrong.

Here's mine;
In the last couple of weeks, browser (IE) and email (Livemail) have become abominably slow.
The 'Not Responding' addendum frequently appears.
No changes to programmes, at any rate not by me, no extra photos, nothing, just periodic MS updates.

Last weekend, a popup announced that Microsoft had 'noticed that my computer had become slow' and suggested changing the 'theme' to MS basic. Didn't know I had a theme, but being as I was totally exasperated, I did as suggested; it replaces the screensaver (OH in the garden) with the MS logo and changes the colourbars to MS blue.
I believe that what I had before was termed Aero. Not my choice, it was just how it was from new.
Anyway, that change did seem to speed things up, for a while.

Then it all got slow again. Worse in the mornings.
Did a linespeed test, fine.

Then this morning I noticed that if I don't use Inprivate, it's faster.

So, my theory; MS is sending updates that slow the computer. Doing an Apple, so to speak. They are no longer bothering to support anything other than the basics. They want us to switch over to W10 ahead of the January termination date.

Don't know whether to be grateful for the years of support given to W7, or peeved that they're messing me about.
Very disinclined to go for W10.
What to do.

Perhaps one should ask Boris.
He has an answer for most things.

V8

Alaric
Lemon Half

Re: W7 Microsoft conspiracy theory.

Postby Alaric » June 26th, 2019, 8:51 pm

88V8 wrote:So, my theory; MS is sending updates that slow the computer.

Unlike Windows 10 Home Editions, with Win 7 you can switch off automatic updates.

Lanark
Lemon Quarter

Postby Lanark » June 26th, 2019, 11:14 pm

Some updates do slow down the computer when the vulnerability is related to the CPU or memory architecture - there comes a point where its a choice between an insecure system or a slow one.

You could upgrade to Win 10 and find the same thing happen.

Nocton
Lemon Slice

Postby Nocton » June 27th, 2019, 8:41 am

Very disinclined to go for W10.

Why? W10 has long since overcome any initial glitches and is faster than W7, so might improve your computer's performance anyway.

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » June 27th, 2019, 1:12 pm

88V8 wrote:....So, my theory; MS is sending updates that slow the computer....

My experience with Windows 7 on a variety of machines, from a low-spec Intel Atom netbook up to high spec I7 machines, is that it runs as fast now as it ever did. Slow performance is usually down to collecting a morass of bloatware, browser plugins and overly-dominant 3rd-party AVs over the years. I still run W7 on a few but I keep them lean and mean, fully up to date, and regularly use Disk Clean-up to clean up System files.

Very disinclined to go for W10...

My experience with Windows 10 on a variety of machines is that they generally run at least as fast, if not faster, than they did before upgrading from W7. Of course, it's possible to cripple any Windows with too much junkware.

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » June 27th, 2019, 1:35 pm

Just one word (plus digit): "Windows 8"

'nuff said! :D

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » June 27th, 2019, 2:02 pm

I'd echo Bree's post.

I've cleaned up a few Windows machines over the years (W98 onwards) for myself and others, always makes a significant difference to performance.
I factory reset my Nexus 5 phone about six months ago (for the first time in 5 years) and that was a real eye opener wrt to latency, it was like a brand new phone again.

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » June 27th, 2019, 2:10 pm

XFool wrote:Just one word (plus digit): "Windows 8"

'nuff said! :D

"Mummy, that man just used a bad word!" :D

I avoided W8 like the plague - too radical a departure from 'Windows as we know it'. Some loved it, but I found the 'full-screen only' Metro apps hard to come to terms with.

With W10 came a return to sanity, though keeping some of the more practical features from W8.1 (you do know that W8 is out of support?).

Assuming W8.1 was a serious suggestion, while you could upgrade W7 to W8.1, it wouldn't be activated. You'd then have to buy a licence for W8.1. Upgrading W7 (or W8/8.1) to W10 still to this day will get a digital licence and will be activated.

Now having a machine capable or running Hyper-V virtual machines I have revisited W8.1 in a couple of VMs - I still hate it ;)

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » June 27th, 2019, 4:26 pm

Breelander wrote:Now having a machine capable or running Hyper-V virtual machines I have revisited W8.1 in a couple of VMs - I still hate it ;)

Why? I genuinely don't understand people's attitude to Win 8 (allowing that it IS Windows!)

I've just been (briefly) using a 'Win 7 Enterprise Edition' in the local library. Basically seemed pretty similar to Win 8 AFAIAC and yet many people still claim this as 'The best Windows ever'! It's all a mystery to me.

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » June 27th, 2019, 7:35 pm

XFool wrote:Why? I genuinely don't understand people's attitude to Win 8 (allowing that it IS Windows!)

The Windows 8 GUI was an acquired taste, but there are some that took to it and love Windows 8 (just not enough of them for MS to regard it as a successful replacement for the Win 7 GUI). Me, I cannot bear finding my way round Windows with just Tiles, Charms and Swipes to help me. The limitation on only being able to run Metro Apps full screen is also annoying. Yes, you can split the screen to allow two side by side, but I'm used to fully adjustable windows and opening as many of them as I need.

I've just been (briefly) using a 'Win 7 Enterprise Edition' in the local library. Basically seemed pretty similar to Win 8 AFAIAC...

I'm guessing that's a typo and you meant to say 'Win 10 Enterprise'. If so you're right, W10 retains some of the best bits of the W8 GUI. In fact, if you switch to Tablet Mode a Win8 aficionado will feel right at home. Me, I'm a traditionalist and want (need) a traditional Start menu. The Tiles on Start are a useful addition and I do make full use of them, customising Start to my needs. But that's as an addition - not a complete replacement ;)

NomoneyNohoney
Lemon Slice

Postby NomoneyNohoney » June 27th, 2019, 9:51 pm

With Windows 8 and 10 my first action after install, has been to install Classic Shell. This gives a start interface mostly the same as on Win 7, and is much more to my taste than clunky icons.
If you install it and don't like it, it's uninstallable from the programs menu, so maybe you'd like to check it out?
Can be found here: http://classicshell.net/
(The development ceased and it has been taken up by others - you'll see it mentioned, and can follow the links if interested. I'm a Luddite and have stuck with Classic Shell on my computers/tablets.)

Hope it helps someone.

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » June 27th, 2019, 11:40 pm

Breelander wrote:
XFool wrote:Why? I genuinely don't understand people's attitude to Win 8 (allowing that it IS Windows!)

The Windows 8 GUI was an acquired taste, but there are some that took to it and love Windows 8 (just not enough of them for MS to regard it as a successful replacement for the Win 7 GUI).

OK granted. But you do have to know how to use Win 8. Coming directly from XP it was initially a shock to me. Fortunately, I managed to find a very good book on Win 8 in the local library. It became apparent to me that many didn't have a clue - or a good book! e.g. I remember on TMF someone asking a question with: "As I have Windows 8, I don't have Control Panel." Uh?

Breelander wrote:Me, I cannot bear finding my way round Windows with just Tiles, Charms and Swipes to help me.

You only need these occasionally to find something you don't normally use. Even when I need then I find them quick and easy enough - perhaps it's just a case of practice? The point about Win 8 is, unlike XP, 98, 95, you don't have a fully defined, fixed Windows framework set up for you. You knit your own. If you need/use it frequently or every time, you pin it to the task bar; if you don't, you don't. If you need something one day and it's not on the task bar, you use the above to find it. You can even put it on the Start Page, if you want. ;)

Works for me! It reminds me of the old Mac OS 'Finder' approach.

Breelander wrote:The limitation on only being able to run Metro Apps full screen is also annoying. Yes, you can split the screen to allow two side by side, but I'm used to fully adjustable windows and opening as many of them as I need.

True, but I only use them occasionally. e.g. Weather and then it's back to the usual Windows desktop.

Breelander wrote:
I've just been (briefly) using a 'Win 7 Enterprise Edition' in the local library. Basically seemed pretty similar to Win 8 AFAIAC...

I'm guessing that's a typo and you meant to say 'Win 10 Enterprise'.

No. It's what I believe it said on the library PC I briefly used this afternoon, I noticed it. I could check, but I hardly ever use them. I have only used Win 7 on a handful of occasions.

Breelander wrote:If so you're right, W10 retains some of the best bits of the W8 GUI. In fact, if you switch to Tablet Mode a Win8 aficionado will feel right at home. Me, I'm a traditionalist and want (need) a traditional Start menu.

That Start Menu thing again! It seems to have captured many people, psychologically. Without it as their familiar comfort blanket they appear to suffer from Windows anxiety. ;)

Breelander wrote: The Tiles on Start are a useful addition and I do make full use of them, customising Start to my needs. But that's as an addition - not a complete replacement ;)

But I can't see the difference in Win 8! My normal everyday use is just the Win 8 Windows Desktop. It's Windows... :)

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » June 28th, 2019, 2:32 pm

XFool wrote:But I can't see the difference in Win 8! My normal everyday use is just the Win 8 Windows Desktop. It's Windows... :)

well if its all "just windows" why on earth did MS change something was already "just windows"?

whatever...

didds

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » June 28th, 2019, 3:21 pm

didds wrote:
XFool wrote:But I can't see the difference in Win 8! My normal everyday use is just the Win 8 Windows Desktop. It's Windows... :)

well if its all "just windows" why on earth did MS change something was already "just windows"?

whatever...

Oh well! That's another story, isn't it? You may as well ask: Why did they change from Windows 2.11?
Essentially, this is the whole industry's business model. If they didn't change it, how would they ever sell you another one? How would they afford to pay their employees and reward their shareholders? ;)

You think Windows 10 is forever?

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » June 29th, 2019, 3:15 pm

Hmmm.

OK, so Delete Browsing History - haven't done that for a while.

Disk Cleanup - had forgotten all about that; only found 3mb or so, but still.

Defrag - it's supposed to do that itself, once a month. But I had it set to run at a time when the PC is normally asleep, and it seems it doesn't awaken itself as it hasn't run since February. Only 3% fragged, but still.

And miraculously, it's working properly again.
Thankyou.

Be nice if it performed these tasks autonomously, but then we'd have no incentive to 'upgrade'. Perhaps that, ultimately, is the 'conspiracy'.

So when it's asleep, I wonder what else it's not doing that I've forgotten I've asked it to do.......

V8

JamesMuenchen
Lemon Slice

Postby JamesMuenchen » June 29th, 2019, 4:15 pm

88V8 wrote:Hmmm.

OK, so Delete Browsing History - haven't done that for a while.

Disk Cleanup - had forgotten all about that; only found 3mb or so, but still.

Defrag - it's supposed to do that itself, once a month. But I had it set to run at a time when the PC is normally asleep, and it seems it doesn't awaken itself as it hasn't run since February. Only 3% fragged, but still.

And miraculously, it's working properly again.
Thankyou.

Be nice if it performed these tasks autonomously, but then we'd have no incentive to 'upgrade'. Perhaps that, ultimately, is the 'conspiracy'.

So when it's asleep, I wonder what else it's not doing that I've forgotten I've asked it to do.......

V8

Be careful that you're not defraging an SSD drive, as the general advice is don't.

Also there's an option somewhere that disables hibernation mode. Our support guy did this for me once and it freed a ton of space and ran like new.

I don't have Win7 now, so can't check how that's done.

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » June 30th, 2019, 11:23 pm

JamesMuenchen wrote:....Also there's an option somewhere that disables hibernation mode. Our support guy did this for me once and it freed a ton of space and ran like new.

I don't have Win7 now, so can't check how that's done.

Exactly the same way in Windows 7, 8, 8.1 and 10.

To disable hibernation and delete the hidden C:\hiberfil.sys, open a command prompt (Admin) and type:

POWERCFG /HIBERNATE OFF

Note that this will also disable Fast Start-up (which is a minimal form of hibernation). If you want to turn off hibernation but still allow Fast Start-up, then the command is:

POWERCFG /HIBERNATE /TYPE REDUCED

This creates a small hiberfil.sys, only sufficient to support Fast Start-up.

Alaric
Lemon Half

Postby Alaric » July 1st, 2019, 1:10 am

Breelander wrote:
Exactly the same way in Windows 7, 8, 8.1 and 10.

powercfg has an immense number of options. It would seem that the "command line prompt" is still there and powerful for exerting control over your computer, so if you are sufficiently aged to be confident in using command lines, there's a lot of (poorly) documented stuff available.

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » July 1st, 2019, 8:22 am

XFool wrote:You think Windows 10 is forever?

that's a very good point etc.
Thing is - how many Windows 10 users actively moved to windows ten by choice? Especially if you leave out the lets-use-the-user-base-as-our-test-department upgrade that I perceive many didn't even understand was happening etc?

As opposed to my-PC-just-died-and-i-need-a-new-one-but-they-only-come-with-windows-10-now-and-i-cant-get-one-in-windows-7-that-im-actually-quite-happy-with etc.

In short, people end up with version X of windows because that is what their last purchase came with, not because they actually wanted X over (X-y). Its a fair accompli rather than a unilateral decision.

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » July 1st, 2019, 8:23 am

88V8 wrote:So when it's asleep, I wonder what else it's not doing that I've forgotten I've asked it to do.......

V8

you could just turn sleep mode(s) off in the power settings in control panel. that might stop it from NOT doing what you expect it to do.

didds

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”