Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

upgrading an iPad

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
vrdiver
Lemon Quarter

upgrading an iPad

Postby vrdiver » July 3rd, 2019, 1:15 pm

Mrs VRD has an iPad 4 (bought in 2013). It seems to work fine for what she uses it for (browsing, email mainly).

She likes it, but at almost six years old, is there any reason to upgrade to the current model?

Many thanks in advance
VRD

dionaeamuscipula
Lemon Quarter

Re: upgrading an iPad

Postby dionaeamuscipula » July 3rd, 2019, 1:30 pm

vrdiver wrote:Mrs VRD has an iPad 4 (bought in 2013). It seems to work fine for what she uses it for (browsing, email mainly).

She likes it, but at almost six years old, is there any reason to upgrade to the current model?

Many thanks in advance
VRD

The screen will be much better but that is irrelevant for browsing/e-mail, whereas the netflix fiends in the DM household have abandoned their 5 year old iPad minis in favour of their 1 year old phones, despite the extra screen size.

The battery life might be getting a bit thin, but if she's happy with it....

Versus, there seem to be some good deals around at the moment, presumably because an update is nearing.

DM

Rover110
Lemon Pip

Re: upgrading an iPad

Postby Rover110 » July 3rd, 2019, 1:37 pm

One thing I would not be comfortable doing is anything that requires security e.g. online banking / bill-payments.

That one is probably stuck with iOS 10, and won't run anything later.
I don't think there are any "must-have" features since then, although speed and built-in-camera are probably much better now. That was the first Retina display model I think.
The other things that might be upgraded are storage-capacity if it's full of photos, and if you want a cellphone connection for remote browsing.

My wife still has an original iPad Mini which has long since been discarded by Apple (i.e. it won't run the last few versions of iOS). She keeps it because there are some apps which either won't run or have been polluted by adverts on her more-modern iPad. But it is too slow for everyday use.

Regards,
Rover

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”