Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Online downloading MS Office

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Online downloading MS Office

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » July 4th, 2019, 6:59 pm

I'm looking to get a copy of MS Office onto my laptop at home.
Can anyone recommend a decent site to acquire said software from please?

Thank you
AiY

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Re: Online downloading MS Office

Postby Breelander » July 4th, 2019, 7:31 pm

AsleepInYorkshire wrote:I'm looking to get a copy of MS Office onto my laptop at home.

I take it you are looking for a one-off purchase rather than signing up for an Office 365 subscription at Microsoft.

Actually, you can still get that from Microsoft, starting with MS Office Home & Student 2019 at £119.99. Home & Business 2019 is £249.99.

https://products.office.com/en-gb/buy/office
Last edited by Breelander on July 4th, 2019, 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » July 4th, 2019, 7:34 pm

Breelander wrote:
AsleepInYorkshire wrote:I'm looking to get a copy of MS Office onto my laptop at home.

I take it you are looking for a one-off purchase rather than signing up for an Office 365 subscription at Microsoft.

Actually, you can still get that from Microsoft. MS Office Home & Student 2019 is £119.99.

https://products.office.com/en-gb/buy/office

Many thanks :)

AiY

pochisoldi
Lemon Slice

Postby pochisoldi » July 5th, 2019, 12:48 am

If you are employed, and your employer has a support contract with Microsoft (usually the case for a decent sized company with an IT support department), ask to see if you can benefit from the "Microsoft Home Use Program".
I got a legit copy of Office 2016 for around £20 a couple of years ago via this route.

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » July 5th, 2019, 9:11 am

pochisoldi wrote:If you are employed, and your employer has a support contract with Microsoft (usually the case for a decent sized company with an IT support department), ask to see if you can benefit from the "Microsoft Home Use Program".
I got a legit copy of Office 2016 for around £20 a couple of years ago via this route.

wow! one lives and learns - thanks PS :-)

presumably its a one off, no quibble purchase - so if one left the company two days later there would be no licensing issues (not that MS would know of course etc - its just the way my brain works!)

didds

tsr2
2 Lemon pips

Postby tsr2 » July 5th, 2019, 9:55 am

You can usually find licence keys being sold on Amazon for peanuts. I bought one for £20, IIRC.

One or two of the reviews are from people who had issues with the keys, but most have no problem AFAICS. I know I didn't have any issues.

pochisoldi
Lemon Slice

Postby pochisoldi » July 5th, 2019, 10:03 am

didds wrote:
pochisoldi wrote:If you are employed, and your employer has a support contract with Microsoft (usually the case for a decent sized company with an IT support department), ask to see if you can benefit from the "Microsoft Home Use Program".

presumably its a one off, no quibble purchase - so if one left the company two days later there would be no licensing issues (not that MS would know of course etc - its just the way my brain works!)

didds

If you need to reinstall, you need to be able to access the email address you used to purchase for the software.
The email address you use to apply is used to help validate the purchase. You know where this is heading...

production100
2 Lemon pips

Postby production100 » July 5th, 2019, 11:10 am

I used https://www.xboxliveshop.co.uk. It activated fine. Also has been reinstalled subsequently with no problem when doing a clean install.

I see the offer is still available.

Chris

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » July 5th, 2019, 5:03 pm

pochisoldi wrote:
didds wrote:

didds

If you need to reinstall, you need to be able to access the email address you used to purchase for the software.
The email address you use to apply is used to help validate the purchase. You know where this is heading...

Yes, but that isn't your work email address (or need not be).

When I used Microsoft's Home Use Program two weeks ago the system was -
  • Click a link on a page on my employer's intranet which took me to a Microsoft page
  • Entered my work email
  • Work email received an email from Microsoft confirming eligibility with another link to click
  • That link took me to another Microsoft page, where this time I had to enter the email address for my personal not work Microsoft account which I had already set up, and then the password
  • That took me to another Microsoft page where I was offered either Office 365 (family or personal) at 35% off or Office 2019 for £14ish. I took the latter option.
  • Email keys were then emailed to my personal email address and the licence appears in the details of my online personal Microsoft account.

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”