Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Mobile phone holder

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
Imbiber
Lemon Slice

Mobile phone holder

Postby Imbiber » July 8th, 2019, 11:03 am

Does anyone have recommendations for a good value phone holder for cars? There seems to be a huge choice but which are any good?

All advice welcome.

TIA

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Re: Mobile phone holder

Postby Itsallaguess » July 8th, 2019, 11:29 am

Imbiber wrote:
Does anyone have recommendations for a good value phone holder for cars? There seems to be a huge choice but which are any good?

All advice welcome.

Difficult to give too much meaningful feedback, as a lot will depend on your particular car, and your preferences for how such a bracket might be fixed to your car, but I'll have a go..

I wasn't too keen on the idea of a holder that attaches to air-outlets, as I think the vents on the outlets look a little flimsy, and I'd kick myself if they were broken when I've got other options that remove that risk, so I went for a 'flexible arm' arrangement that uses a sucker-mount to attach to a near-by window. This also gives me a lot of flexibility as to the viewing-position of the phone itself, which was important to me, as I didn't want to have to avert my eyes too much from the windscreen when using it. I'm not sure I would like to have a vent-mounted phone, as the position of my air-vents means that it would be quite a diversion for me to look at the phone whilst driving.

I also wanted something that is flexible in terms of where I can put it, in terms of both the fixing-position and the phone-bracket position, and this flexi-arm/sucker arrangement gives me a lot of flexibility in both areas. In addition to this, I also wanted something that gave the most flexibility in terms of the allowable size-range of the phones it could hold, as I didn't want to have to change brackets if I got a new phone.

I also wanted something that was easy to remove, as I don't need to have a phone-mount installed on every journey, and I'd prefer not to advertise that one is likely to be in use, so a portable window-sucker arrangement suited that aspect too..

In the end I went with something very similar to this, both in style and price -

https://www.amazon.co.uk/pjp-electronics-Windscreen-Mobile-Samsung/dp/B0764HZ1FY

Mine doesn't have the little mid-arm bracket, and I'm not sure I like the idea of sticking that on my dashboard, although I can see why they have included it, as sometimes you get a bit of a judder at the phone-bracket end, which a little bracket like that would help to remove. I solve that issue by manoeuvring the bracket to be fairly close to a section of upper dash-board, and then folding a little micro-fibre cloth underneath it, and that stops all vibrations during the journey.

Hopefully a few things in there that might be worth considering before purchase...

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Laughton
Lemon Slice

Postby Laughton » July 8th, 2019, 11:55 am

I got one of these in March last year and am very happy with it. I use my 'phone for SatNav as well as calls and it suits. It's never fallen off the windscreen since I've had it. It clamps the 'phone very well and the phone has never fallen out of the holder. It's very adjustable so I can get the view just how I want it.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00Z620TF8

I agree with itsallaguess - don't go for one of those that clip to the air vent. I made that mistake once before - and those air vents are expensive and fiddly to replace when they inevitably break - the fins are simply not built to take the weight of a holder and modern phone.

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » July 8th, 2019, 11:59 am

... the fins are simply not built to take the weight of a holder and modern phone.

Fins ain't what they used to be...

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Postby Slarti » July 8th, 2019, 2:57 pm

Imbiber wrote:Does anyone have recommendations for a good value phone holder for cars? There seems to be a huge choice but which are any good?

All advice welcome.

TIA

Brodit are probably the best available.

You buy 2 buts, one specifically for your make/model of car, one specifically for your make/model of phone and fasten them together when they arrive. You can choose built in charging, or not, as you prefer.

I'm on my second one having changed car and phone 4.5 years ago. https://www.drivesafeandlegal.co.uk/

Slarti

Imbiber
Lemon Slice

Postby Imbiber » July 9th, 2019, 8:30 am

Thanks for all the advice, it has narrowed the field considerably. I will look at the recommendations.

I

JonE
Lemon Slice

Postby JonE » July 10th, 2019, 7:15 am

Laughton wrote:It's never fallen off the windscreen since I've had it.

Did you mean 'dashboard' rather than 'windscreen'? Some years ago I was advised that a windscreen mount within, or too close (20mm?) to, the area of screen swept by the wipers and also obscuring the view of the road is an MoT failure! Happily, the tester removed the mount before conducting the test.

Cheers!

Gaggsy
Lemon Slice

Postby Gaggsy » July 10th, 2019, 12:55 pm

If you are able to use the air vent then this magnetic one has proved excellent for me:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Spigen-SGP1158 ... 144&sr=8-7
I have my phone in a protective case ( https://www.amazon.co.uk/Spigen-Rugged- ... 212&sr=8-2 ) - you slip the metal disc inside the case and it's extremely simple to use. I have it in the vent near my right hand. Works really well and have never had a problem with it falling off or damaging the air vents.

Laughton
Lemon Slice

Postby Laughton » July 10th, 2019, 3:13 pm

Did you mean 'dashboard' rather than 'windscreen'? Some years ago I was advised that a windscreen mount within, or too close (20mm?) to, the area of screen swept by the wipers and also obscuring the view of the road is an MoT failure! Happily, the tester removed the mount before conducting the test.

I do mean the windscreen however on my car that is at the bottom of the screen and maybe because it's a high seating position then it doesn't obstruct the road at all. I guess it could be more of a problem in a "sports car" for instance.

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”