Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Domain registrars for .com and .co.uk

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Domain registrars for .com and .co.uk

Postby Clariman » July 30th, 2019, 11:46 am

Who are the best no nonsense domain registrars for .com and .co.uk?

I've always used 123-reg but I get fed up of their up-selling and fed up of their website which it makes it all too easy to accidentally renew something you don't want to renew. However, there is something to be said for having domains in one place.

I want to buy 2 new domains - same basic domain but the .com and .co.uk variants. 123-reg suggested a special offer at 99p for year one but when I added it to my basket it turned out the offer was only for new customers.

Google domains looks quite straightforward and also includes the privacy/anonymity bit for free whereas 123-reg charges that as an extra.

Also how difficult is it to transfer domains from one registrar to another?

Cheers

pochisoldi
Lemon Slice

Re: Domain registrars for .com and .co.uk

Postby pochisoldi » July 30th, 2019, 12:25 pm

I've transferred a .org.uk domain twice, a .co.uk domain is transferred by the same "push" method.
You contact your existing registrar and ask them to change the "IPS tag" (aka "Registrar tag") to the tag of the new registrar.
(in other words the domain is "pushed" from old to new)

As I understand it, transferring a .com is done by "pull" - the new registrar needs to take action to execute the transfer.
(in other words the domain is "pulled" by the new from the old).

One thing I have discovered is that the inflation rate for domain renewal far outstrips normal inflation or any return on a savings account. I renewed two .org.uk domains for 9 years each. I transferred to crazydomains.co.uk and renewed with them - other than acting as registrar they don't provide me with any other service.

PochiSoldi

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clariman » July 30th, 2019, 2:10 pm

I decided to go with Google Domain for me new domains.

gbjbaanb
Lemon Slice

Postby gbjbaanb » August 4th, 2019, 4:27 pm

I always go with 1&1 (or "Ionos" as they like to be called these days). They've been around for 30 years and are German so have all the EU privacy stuff going for them. Privacy for free, and then they add stuff like email as well.

Not keen on Google these days for anything, they're a far cry from their "do no evil" days.

PhaseThree

Postby PhaseThree » August 4th, 2019, 4:33 pm

gbjbaanb wrote:I always go with 1&1 (or "Ionos" as they like to be called these days). They've been around for 30 years and are German so have all the EU privacy stuff going for them. Privacy for free, and then they add stuff like email as well.

Not keen on Google these days for anything, they're a far cry from their "do no evil" days.

+1 for 1&1, I've been using them for years with no issues whatsoever. Recommended.

Lanark
Lemon Quarter

Postby Lanark » August 4th, 2019, 7:56 pm

for dot coms:
pairdomains.com
namecheap.com
they probably also handle .co.uk but I havent tried them for that.

1&1 have had some fairly bad reviews and I wonder if thats why they changed name?
Google domains are still in Beta, which makes me wonder if it could be axed at some point?

AndyPandy
Lemon Slice

Postby AndyPandy » August 4th, 2019, 8:28 pm

PhaseThree wrote:
gbjbaanb wrote:I always go with 1&1 (or "Ionos" as they like to be called these days). They've been around for 30 years and are German so have all the EU privacy stuff going for them. Privacy for free, and then they add stuff like email as well.

+1 for 1&1, I've been using them for years with no issues whatsoever. Recommended.

+2 for 1&1 / Ionos
I've had an account for 20+ years and registered hundreds (I go a bit mad sometimes and end up buying some then trying to sell them on). I also Host my websites with them and have the basic package for about £100 a year and it is very fast for a shared service. I run about 6 Wordpress sites and a couple of hand crafted ones. You also get a Database to play with and one SSL thrown in.
Adding email redirects is a doddle ( no real limit) as is email accounts (although the number of actual free email accounts & mailbox size is limited but upgrades are available).

Back to the OPs question, yes I'd recommend 1 & 1 for registration of Domain names. Don't forget .uk is out there now.

supremetwo
Lemon Quarter

Postby supremetwo » August 5th, 2019, 1:20 am

Clariman wrote:I decided to go with Google Domain for me new domains.

Have a look at TSO before you decide.
https://www.tsohost.com/domain-names

mjbdreamer

Postby mjbdreamer » August 6th, 2019, 3:24 pm

Lanark wrote:for dot coms:

Google domains are still in Beta, which makes me wonder if it could be axed at some point?

Beta is the last stage before production. I wouldn't expect them to be axed while Google strive to be a big player in cloud services.

Lanark
Lemon Quarter

Postby Lanark » August 6th, 2019, 6:39 pm

mjbdreamer wrote:
Lanark wrote:for dot coms:

Beta is the last stage before production.

not always
https://gcemetery.co/

mjbdreamer

Postby mjbdreamer » August 7th, 2019, 1:49 pm

How can you tell if these were ditched while in Beta?

Nice link by the way.

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”