Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Printer Recommendation ?

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
richlist
Lemon Quarter

Printer Recommendation ?

Postby richlist » August 4th, 2019, 4:29 pm

I need to purchase a printer for home use.
I only need to print B & W, emails, reciepts, documents etc
Anyone got a recommendation or had good experiences with one in particular ???

PhaseThree

Re: Printer Recommendation ?

Postby PhaseThree » August 4th, 2019, 4:46 pm

If you only need B+W then get a laser printer rather than an inkjet printer. In my experience they are cheaper to run and an awful lot more reliable.
Personally I would recommend Brother as a brand but Samsung also seem to be well regarded.

paradigm
Lemon Pip

Postby paradigm » August 4th, 2019, 5:16 pm

I too am getting on well with a Brother - a colour laser/scanner/copier in my case. The downside would be the high cost of genuine toner cartridges.

jackdaww
Lemon Quarter

Postby jackdaww » August 4th, 2019, 5:37 pm

i have read that laser toner cartridges will last a very long time if the printer is used little or infrequently .

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » August 4th, 2019, 6:11 pm

PhaseThree wrote:If you only need B+W then get a laser printer rather than an inkjet printer. In my experience they are cheaper to run and an awful lot more reliable.

Absolutely.

About 10 years ago I bought a cheap Canon laser which unusually came with a full cartridge (most come with a 'tester' which only has a 1/5th of the toner) and it came with a voucher for another full cartridge - all for about £35.

The first cartridge lasted about 8 years, and unfortunately the second when I put it in had not lasted well being unused so wasn't printing correctly. All was not lost, £8 spent on Amazon for a compatible cartridge has had me up and running for the last couple of years.

Prior to the laser I had an inkjet. Grrr, horrible thing, every time I wanted to use it the heads had blocked or the ink had dried up, and the cartridges were ridiculously expensive even for compatibles.

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » August 4th, 2019, 7:41 pm

I'm surprised that you can even buy an inkjet these days, though I have noticed that you have to pay more attention than in the past, as though the manufacturers are trying to trick people into it.

I still remember the times with our kids when they wanted to print everything, and all the time and money I lost in trying generic cartridges and even ink kits for filling them.

Our Samsung B/W laser is about 6 years old and I reckon I've saved a fortune, as well as blood pressure coming down!

Steve

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » August 4th, 2019, 9:30 pm

Mono laserjet but just check the replacement toner refill prices (are there cheap generics on ebay et al) as that's where they make the money these days, many come with a 'starter toner' cartridge which is generally half capacity.

I recently got a HP Laserjet Pro M15a (USB only) for £24 in a closing down sale, there was a M15w (WiFi version) on HUKD the other week for £10...
Small footprint, very quick, great for occasional printing.
https://www.hotukdeals.com/search?q=laser%2Bprinter

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » August 4th, 2019, 11:29 pm

Canon Pixma MG3650.
Ludicrously cheap.
Ink lasts a long time.
Also copies and scans.

Recommended by Which a couple of years ago, and still recommended now.

V8

jackdaww
Lemon Quarter

Postby jackdaww » August 5th, 2019, 8:12 am

88V8 wrote:Canon Pixma MG3650.
Ludicrously cheap.
Ink lasts a long time.
Also copies and scans.

V8

inkjet.

currently £49 on amazon.

Canon PIXMA MG2550S 4800 X 600 All-in-One Printer is currently £25 .

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » August 5th, 2019, 8:44 am

Another huge laser printer fan here.

I've owned my share of inkjets in the past, and now see them as nothing more than loss-leaders for the ink manufacturers.....

The inkjet printers are so ridiculously cheap because the inks are so expensive, and the technology is so poor, especially for infrequent print-users, that you're likely to pay considerable amounts of cash for the ink and ink-cartridges (that will no doubt dry up just when you need it to work!!) over the lifetime ownership of an inkjet...

Lasers just *work*, and work *when you need them to work*....

It might be worth considering network-enabled laser printers, as these provide good options for mobile devices etc.

Read lots of Amazon user-reviews and their Q&A areas for some of the laser printer options you might be considering - a short amount of time spent doing so can be rewarding and will give you a good feel for the current technical options available to you.

It's also worth keeping an eye on HotUKDeals to see if there are any offers for models that might be of interest to you -

https://www.hotukdeals.com/tag/laser-printer

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Watis
Lemon Quarter

Postby Watis » August 5th, 2019, 9:20 am

jackdaww wrote:
Ludicrously cheap.
Ink lasts a long time.
Also copies and scans.

V8

inkjet.

currently £49 on amazon.

Canon PIXMA MG2550S 4800 X 600 All-in-One Printer is currently £25 .

Another recommendation for a Pixma if you're going for a colour inkjet printer. My MG4250 is nearly five years old, gets occasional use and I've never experienced blocked heads. It also scans, another unbelievably useful function.

On top of that I recommend getting a model that can do full multiplex printing, so it can print on both sides of the paper without manual intervention.

We all look at ink costs but forget that paper is the best part of a penny a sheet - it all adds up!

Watis

BobbyD
Lemon Half

Postby BobbyD » August 6th, 2019, 9:28 am

Ludicrously cheap.
Ink lasts a long time.
Also copies and scans.

V8

Not universally true across the range. My MG6250 drank ink. Ditched it for a less accomplished HP with 12 months free HP Instant ink trial (300ppm) and then switched on to the 15 pages a month for free price plan.

https://instantink.hpconnected.com/uk/e ... k8pergdz23

Not bad for £25!

If you are lucky with your timing you can cobble together up to 15 months free subscription of up to 300 pages per month using free trials that come with the printer, and referral and bonus codes.

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”