Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Monthly data allowance on O2/iphone

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
terminal7
Lemon Quarter

Monthly data allowance on O2/iphone

Postby terminal7 » August 9th, 2019, 11:08 am

Three days into current month I get text from O2 that 80% of my allowance had been used. 20 minutes later I get a further text that my data allowance had been completely used up. In that 20 minutes I was sitting outside linked to 4G but had not used my iphone. Indeed I had made very little use of my iphone over the previous 3 days. In fact I have never fully used up my data allowance in the past.

Checking the usage stats I noticed a 3.1GB usage by an app I use very rarely and only on wifi as it is a foreign radio app. I then notice another app showing 4GB usage yet I again never use this app unless I have a wifi connection and anyway it is a site that has articles - not films, photos etc.

Speak to O2 who cannot provide an explanation apart from firstly 'are you sure you have not been using extensively on 3G/4G' and then it must be a technical glitch. Offered me a free 2GB bolt on to hopefully problem will go away. Will see what happens now - though have now decided to turn off data roaming most apps.

Interested in any views

T7

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Re: Monthly data allowance on O2/iphone

Postby PinkDalek » August 9th, 2019, 1:03 pm

terminal7 wrote:... though have now decided to turn off data roaming most apps.

When the more technically knowledgeable posters arrive, they'll explain better than I can manage. I think what you've done is sensible as, as far as I understand it, many Apps or whatever continue to work in the background, even if you don't specifically access them.

There's a further option I think which I've only now noticed. If you go to Settings > Mobile Data, near the very foot you might see Wi-Fi Assist. That says Automatically use mobile data when Wi-Fi connectivity is poor. I'm in a area where connectivity is poor quite often. I've no idea if that could kick in when Mobile Data is off but I prefer to make my own choices on that front, rather than do anything much automatically. Thanks to you, I've now set that option to off.

richfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby richfool » August 9th, 2019, 1:27 pm

terminal7 wrote:Three days into current month I get text from O2 that 80% of my allowance had been used. 20 minutes later I get a further text that my data allowance had been completely used up. In that 20 minutes I was sitting outside linked to 4G but had not used my iphone. Indeed I had made very little use of my iphone over the previous 3 days. In fact I have never fully used up my data allowance in the past.

Checking the usage stats I noticed a 3.1GB usage by an app I use very rarely and only on wifi as it is a foreign radio app. I then notice another app showing 4GB usage yet I again never use this app unless I have a wifi connection and anyway it is a site that has articles - not films, photos etc.

Speak to O2 who cannot provide an explanation apart from firstly 'are you sure you have not been using extensively on 3G/4G' and then it must be a technical glitch. Offered me a free 2GB bolt on to hopefully problem will go away. Will see what happens now - though have now decided to turn off data roaming most apps.

Interested in any views

T7

Terminal 7,

I always keep my Data turned off, (from the pull down menu "Mobile data"), and only turn it on for specific uses if I am out somewhere and don't have access to wifi in that location. If you leave data on, there is a likelihood that it will update pages that you have visited and are still open, or apps on your phone will update themselves.

I also routinely close any apps that maybe open on the phone. On my Samsung phone there are 3 vertical bars at the bottom left which allow one to close whatever apps are open.

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » August 9th, 2019, 1:33 pm

terminal7 wrote:
Three days into current month I get text from O2 that 80% of my allowance had been used. 20 minutes later I get a further text that my data allowance had been completely used up. In that 20 minutes I was sitting outside linked to 4G but had not used my iphone. Indeed I had made very little use of my iphone over the previous 3 days. In fact I have never fully used up my data allowance in the past.

It sounds like some apps have auto-updated over your mobile data connection - this is something you'll want to gain better control of so you can avoid it in future -

This is how you make sure your apps only update over WiFi -

https://www.thejournal.ie/wifi-apps-updates-check-2667255-Mar2016/

The earlier advice on turning off mobile-data completely, and then only turning it back on as required, is also good advice...

How to turn off cellular data -

https://www.imore.com/how-turn-cellular-data-specific-apps-iphone

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

terminal7
Lemon Quarter

Postby terminal7 » August 13th, 2019, 5:42 pm

Thank you for your kind thoughts.

However, still amazed that some 10GBs was inadvertently 'used' in about 20 minutes. This seems impossible to me - even if one were to stream a film.

T7

chas49
Lemon Quarter

Postby chas49 » August 13th, 2019, 6:27 pm

terminal7 wrote:Thank you for your kind thoughts.

However, still amazed that some 10GBs was inadvertently 'used' in about 20 minutes. This seems impossible to me - even if one were to stream a film.

T7

This calculator (https://www.download-time.com/) suggests it's feasible if your connection is at 80Mbps.

At 30Mbps it would take almost 50 minutes.

I just speed-tested my 4G (sitting indoors with '2 bars' of signal) - I got a download rate of 1.14Mbps - according to the calculator it would take just under 21 hours to download 10GB.

Something seems a bit odd.....

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » August 13th, 2019, 7:51 pm

terminal7 wrote:Thank you for your kind thoughts.

Possibly the texts you received weren't exactly in sync with your usage. i.e. the "80% used" and "all used" messages were basically late in arriving, and your data may have all been used before you were even made aware.

Scott.

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”