Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Can't connect to the internet

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
MrsRonnie

Can't connect to the internet

Postby MrsRonnie » August 9th, 2019, 7:08 pm

Well, obviously, I *can* connect to the internet because I'm posting here now...

We had a power cut earlier today, and MrRonnie's PC decided afterwards that it wasn't going to connect to the internet.

It is connected via a homeplug, and all the lights were flashing green as if everything was fine. We have a laptop that is also connected via a homeplug,and that is working just fine.

On running the "troubleshooting" thingamijig (for the "ethernet adaptor" it said), the message "IP address not valid" came up.

We have tried restarting the PC to no avail. Swapping the homeplug for another one also hasn't worked.

I am at a loss. Please can you make suggestions as to what I should do next?

TIA
Ronnie

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Re: Can't connect to the internet

Postby bungeejumper » August 9th, 2019, 8:14 pm

Have you rebooted the router?

Are you using an external wifi dongle? If so, have you unplugged it and re-plugged it again? (It often forces the computer to go back to basics on the connection, which is good.)

If you left-click on the wifi button at the bottom right of your screen (Windows, I presume?), does it show the router as being connected?

If you then click "Network and Internet settings" from the wifi menu, there should be a Network Troubleshooter, which I've found to be quite reliable.

That's all I know. I expect an expert will be along shortly. :)

BJ

MrsRonnie

Postby MrsRonnie » August 10th, 2019, 7:02 am

Thanks BJ

No, I haven't rebooted the router - I didn't think to do that because other machines are working from it! Talk about missing the obvious! I'll try that after I post this.

No dongle, just the homeplug which I've unplugged and replugged, and tried another one.

We've since found that the sky box, also connected with a homeplug, isn't connecting.

Anyway, will try resetting the router first and take it from there.

Thanks again
Ronnie

Alaric
Lemon Half

Postby Alaric » August 10th, 2019, 9:28 am

MrsRonnie wrote:Anyway, will try resetting the router first and take it from there.

The router is what connects to the outside world. Home plugs or wifi are just the internal network in your house.

jfgw
Lemon Quarter

Postby jfgw » August 10th, 2019, 11:21 am

Alaric wrote:
MrsRonnie wrote:Anyway, will try resetting the router first and take it from there.

The router is what connects to the outside world. Home plugs or wifi are just the internal network in your house.

The modem is what connects to the outside world. This is commonly incorporated into the same unit as the router and such a combined device should properly be called a "modem router", although it is often referred to as just a "router".

Julian F. G. W.

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » August 10th, 2019, 12:20 pm

If you don't get any joy with turning the router off and on, post the make and model numbers here of the router and the homeplugs.

The fact that the two homeplug attached devices are having problems leans more that way IMO.
Many homeplugs have reset switches (maybe a little pin hole thing) that will factory reset them if they've become corrupted (quite possible after a power cut).

Likewise with the modem/router, they often have reset switches too.
If it's ISP supplied then factory resetting shouldn't present any problems as the defaults will be tweaked for the ISP, or If it's been manually set up with changes to the defaults then save the current settings via the web interface and then reset it. That way you can reload the saved settings if needed. The other option would be to take a screenshot/picture of the settings in the web interface and manually put them back if needed.
You'll need the admin login and admin password for all of this (often on the bottom or back of the router on a sticker), which will probably be different to the WiFi (SSID) password.

MrsRonnie

Postby MrsRonnie » August 10th, 2019, 4:05 pm

Thank you all - the resetting of the router seemed to do the trick.

I have another question, which I will post on a new thread as it has absolutely nothing to do with connecting to the internet.

Many thanks
Ronnie

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”