Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Recommendations for Win10 drive wiper please

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
Julian
Lemon Quarter

Recommendations for Win10 drive wiper please

Postby Julian » August 10th, 2019, 6:44 pm

Can anyone recommend a free drive wiper (data shredder) program running under Windows 10 that will wipe drives connected over USB? I have maybe 20 old SATA drives that I want to wipe so I want to install a wiper/shredder on my Win10 laptop, connect the drives one at a time to a SATA to USB interface plugged into a USB port on my laptop, and then wipe each drive as I go. I don’t need Guttman levels of shredding but I’d prefer something more than single-pass zeros.

The range of options out there seems enormous. Right now I think CBL Data Shredder looks promising (http://www.cbldatarecovery.com/data-shredder/) but I can’t see if it works with USB-connected drives. If anyone is already using a program that can run on Win10, is simple and can do what I want that would probably save me an awful lot of research and/or downloading stuff that doesn’t work out.

- Julian

Redmires
Lemon Slice

Re: Recommendations for Win10 drive wiper please

Postby Redmires » August 10th, 2019, 8:32 pm

Try the well respected Ccleaner by Piriform

https://www.ccleaner.com/ccleaner/download

Go to tools, drive wiper, select free space or entire drive and the number of passes. Works ok for me (and works on USB drives)

Julian
Lemon Quarter

Re: Recommendations for Win10 drive wiper please

Postby Julian » August 11th, 2019, 11:49 am

Thanks Redmires. I certainly recognise the name Ccleaner. I had always thought it was just a "keep my PC running efficiently" tool to clear out orphaned temp files, clear caches etc. I had no idea that it had a drive wiping capability. Sounds good to me; search over. Thanks again.

- Julian

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”