Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Flat Ethernet cables

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
Julian
Lemon Quarter

Flat Ethernet cables

Postby Julian » August 11th, 2019, 12:02 pm

I just had a 10m Ethernet cable delivered (Sunday delivery; nice). I didn't read the Amazon description carefully enough and I now see that it is a flat cable. Am I just being an old fuddy-duddy stuck in the past by being suspicious of flat cables and not trusting them quite as much as the good old round cables of my youth? This 10m flat cable certainly has way less bulk and weight to it vs even a 5m round cable that I have (both are recent Cat7 cables).

I haven't opened it yet so I'm debating sending it back and ordering a round one, so trivially easy to do with Amazon, but I'm just wondering if I'm being silly and there's nothing to worry about at least at this 10m length. I do need to pull it through about 6m of cable conduit running under my floorboards so I'm a bit worried about its physical strength since there are six 90 degree bends in the cable conduit. The cable doesn't need much bandwidth, it's connecting 2 digital speakers together so at maximum 192kHz/24-bit quality (not that I have any source material at that bit rate) that's a mere 5Mbps (rounded up) and even doubling that to add packet and start/stop bit overheads it's still a tiny 10Mbps bit rate so I suppose the issue really is physical strength. I do wish I'd read the description properly in the first place.

- Julian

Mike88
Lemon Slice

Re: Flat Ethernet cables

Postby Mike88 » August 11th, 2019, 1:13 pm

All my cables are flat as it is easier to channel them into the wall. I have bought many flat HDMI cables but only one ethernet cable from ebay for myself and son and all have worked well.

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”