Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Fire tablet or anything better?

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
Satsuma
Lemon Slice

Re: Fire tablet or anything better?

Postby Satsuma » August 30th, 2019, 8:44 am

AF62 wrote:If you are looking at the Samsung Tab A 10.1 32GB and want to use it to watch video (as you indicated you would be) then it might be worth listening to one before buying.

It has two speakers but they are both on the bottom of the tablet (when held in portrait) so when watching they are both on the left (or the right) and the sound is really odd. I (or rather my wife) owns one and realistically wouldn't want to use it for video as I find it too annoying (I own a Lenovo Tab 2 which is far better as it has speakers on the front, although it has a 'unique' design for the battery which many find annoying).

Also with these Samsung Tab A tablets, they only have 2GB of RAM which means they can be a bit sluggish with some webpages and apps. Most Android phones these days have gone to 3 or even 4GB.

Anyway, just thought I would mention.

Thanks AF, good to know. I'll mainly be using it with headphones so hopefully it won't be too much of an issue. Also thanks for the note on RAM.

BobbyD
Lemon Half

Postby BobbyD » August 30th, 2019, 2:17 pm

Satsuma wrote:Thanks AF, good to know. I'll mainly be using it with headphones so hopefully it won't be too much of an issue. Also thanks for the note on RAM.

It's the same amount of RAM as the Lenovo and quite sufficient for browsing and streaming.

Headphones do eradicate any issue with the speaker, and family members who also use tabs seem quite happy with the sound. I do travel with a smallish bluetooth speaker for listening to audio from my phone though, which would provide far better sound quality and volume than any tablet if you weren't entirely happy.

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » August 30th, 2019, 5:37 pm

BobbyD wrote:It's the same amount of RAM as the Lenovo and quite sufficient for browsing and streaming.

I would have said adequate not sufficient. You do notice a lack of 'snapiness' when using Android devices with 2GB compared to those with 3 or 4.

BobbyD
Lemon Half

Postby BobbyD » August 30th, 2019, 6:57 pm

AF62 wrote:You do notice a lack of 'snapiness' when using Android devices with 2GB compared to those with 3 or 4.

I don't since I don't own a device with 2GB, 3GB or 4GB RAM.

My ancient Tab browses quite happily on 1.5GB and my phone is probably a bit 'snappier' on 6GB, but not to the extent that I've ever actually noticed and having 4 times as much RAM is hardly the only difference between a cheap 2013 tablet and a flagship 2018 phone...

The 1.5GB Tab also handles video perfectly zipping up and down the VLC without any lag whatsoever.

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » August 30th, 2019, 7:26 pm

BobbyD wrote:My ancient Tab browses quite happily on 1.5GB

If you are happy with it then fine. However what you consider acceptable might not be to others.

BobbyD
Lemon Half

Postby BobbyD » August 30th, 2019, 8:00 pm

AF62 wrote:

If you are happy with it then fine. However what you consider acceptable might not be to others.

You seem to be assuming you know how responsive my tablet my is.

Satsuma
Lemon Slice

Postby Satsuma » August 30th, 2019, 8:52 pm

Itsallaguess wrote:Not sure if you're aware Sats, but Amazon currently have a £10 off voucher that you can tick, which brings their Samsung 10.1 offer down to £159 -

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07Q117JTH

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Dammit, looks like I faffed about too long and the £10 offer has vanished now! :roll:

BobbyD
Lemon Half

Postby BobbyD » August 30th, 2019, 10:22 pm

Satsuma wrote:
Itsallaguess wrote:Not sure if you're aware Sats, but Amazon currently have a £10 off voucher that you can tick, which brings their Samsung 10.1 offer down to £159 -

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07Q117JTH

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Dammit, looks like I faffed about too long and the £10 offer has vanished now! :roll:

If you don't have any upcoming trips you might benefit by waiting, Black Friday isn't that far away.

Reminds me I need to book a holiday.

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » August 31st, 2019, 7:51 am

BobbyD wrote:
AF62 wrote:

You seem to be assuming you know how responsive my tablet my is.

You are incorrect and I am making no such assumption.

I know is that you are happy with the responsiveness of your tablet for the purposes that you use it for.

I also know that I am not happy with the responsiveness of tablets with those specifications for the purposes that I use them for.

My suggestions was to enable a potential purchaser to consider their use and perhaps try before buying rather than ending up disappointed.

Satsuma
Lemon Slice

Postby Satsuma » August 31st, 2019, 9:26 am

BobbyD wrote:If you don't have any upcoming trips you might benefit by waiting, Black Friday isn't that far away.

Unfortunately I travel before then. I must make a note NOT to look up the price during that though :lol:

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » August 31st, 2019, 9:51 am

Satsuma wrote:
BobbyD wrote:If you don't have any upcoming trips you might benefit by waiting, Black Friday isn't that far away.

Unfortunately I travel before then. I must make a note NOT to look up the price during that though :lol:

Set up alerts over on HUKD...https://www.hotukdeals.com/tag/computers

Satsuma
Lemon Slice

Postby Satsuma » August 31st, 2019, 10:21 am

All ordered. I got sidetracked by a pretty decent Neocore offering for about £80, but went with the Samsung in the end. I always try and do the practical no fuss thing but this time I treated myself.

Also picked up a case and a half price 128gb Sandisk micro SD. All in (with cashback and vouchers I had) it's come to about £170, so I'm happy with that.

It must be in high demand as delivery is 1-3 weeks (or longer if you specifically wanted the silver model!)

Again, many thanks to all for their advice and assistance.

Infrasonic wrote:
Satsuma wrote:

I expressly don't want to know how much I could have saved :o :o :o

Sats

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » August 31st, 2019, 10:22 am

Satsuma wrote:All ordered. I got sidetracked by a pretty decent Neocore offering for about £80, but went with the Samsung in the end. I always try and do the practical no fuss thing but this time I treated myself.

Also picked up a case and a half price 128gb Sandisk micro SD. All in (with cashback and vouchers I had) it's come to about £170, so I'm happy with that.

It must be in high demand as delivery is 1-3 weeks (or longer if you specifically wanted the silver model!)

Infrasonic wrote:
Satsuma wrote:

Sats

Aah, didn't realise you had already committed... :D

Satsuma
Lemon Slice

Postby Satsuma » September 9th, 2019, 10:10 am

Just to close this off, I am now in possession of my new tablet.
It's very swish! :D

Having not used anything Android since probably v4 or 5, I was pleasantly surprised how intuitive it was, and I've got it all personalised and set up with various apps and settings to my liking, and so far all seems to be working well. There are a few very minor quirks that I wish were different, but I'll either live with it or find a workaround.

The case is also satisfyingly sturdy and well made, and snaps shut with a nice magnetic thunk. The charger is a USB-C on a very short cable, so I have already bought a longer one.

Thanks again to all
Sats

BobbyD
Lemon Half

Postby BobbyD » September 22nd, 2019, 3:49 am

Satsuma wrote:All ordered. I got sidetracked by a pretty decent Neocore offering for about £80, but went with the Samsung in the end. I always try and do the practical no fuss thing but this time I treated myself.

Infrasonic wrote:
Satsuma wrote:

Sats

Look now and see how much you did save... It's gone up a bit!

Satsuma
Lemon Slice

Postby Satsuma » September 25th, 2019, 12:31 pm

Wheeeeee! Now I feel a bit smug, thanks Bobby!!

6Tricia
2 Lemon pips

Postby 6Tricia » October 20th, 2019, 6:20 pm

Satsuma, are you happy with your Samsung? I ask because I need some advice. I'm desperately in need of a new tablet after my third replacement Windows 10 Fusion5 in six months died just two days after it was delivered! It's packed up and will be picked up by Amazon courier tomorrow. Great customer service from Amazon and full refund agreed but I'm left with an old Android Fusion5 which drops WI-FI connection and hangs frequently so need a reliable tablet soonest!

The model you chose has increased in price quite a bit, just under £200 for tablet, case and screen protector, but needs must!

My needs are simple - banking, browsing, news and shopping mostly.

I'd be grateful for your advice.

TIA Tricia

Satsuma
Lemon Slice

Postby Satsuma » October 21st, 2019, 12:32 pm

Hi Tricia

Yes Its fine. I've only really used it for casual surfing and watching netflix and its been great for that!
I have noticed a couple of seconds lag a couple of times, as a pp alluded to in terms of processor speed. But nothing that worries me day to day.

If I was going to be doing regular banking or shopping though on it, I'd personally pick something that came with an external keyboard (or option for one) or at least a stylus. But you maybe absolutely fine with the on screen keyboard, depending what you are used to.

HTH
Sats

BobbyD
Lemon Half

Postby BobbyD » October 21st, 2019, 1:15 pm

Satsuma wrote:Hi Tricia

Yes Its fine. I've only really used it for casual surfing and watching netflix and its been great for that!
I have noticed a couple of seconds lag a couple of times, as a pp alluded to in terms of processor speed. But nothing that worries me day to day.

If I was going to be doing regular banking or shopping though on it, I'd personally pick something that came with an external keyboard (or option for one) or at least a stylus. But you maybe absolutely fine with the on screen keyboard, depending what you are used to.

HTH
Sats

You should find that with a USB OTG adapter you can plug in a usb keyboard/mouse/hub or pretty much anything else you want.

There was probably one in the box, which might have looked something like this:

If not they are widely available for a couple of quid.

Bminusrob
Lemon Slice

Postby Bminusrob » October 21st, 2019, 1:33 pm

You shouldn't need an OTG adapter. With my Fire tablet, I have a cheap Bluetooth keyboard and mouse which work very well on the few occasions that I require more than just the touch screen.

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”