Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Fire tablet or anything better?

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
Satsuma
Lemon Slice

Fire tablet or anything better?

Postby Satsuma » August 16th, 2019, 1:22 pm

I've been looking at various tablets and I keep coming back to the Amazon Fire.

I have a "full service" laptop for heavy duty stuff, so this is mainly for use when travelling or when lounging about and my phone is too small: netflix (streamed and d/l), general surfing, social media, email, maybe audio/ebooks, simple games like mahjong etc.

The one thing it doesn't do is NowTV playback, but I understand can get a plug in stick to support that? (I have NowTV at home)

Before I commit, just checking I'm not missing anything better in the tablet world? Or if there are any standout Fires above others in the range?
I will be travelling long haul soon too, so if there is a good duty free deal to be had on an alternative, I can avail myself of that too.

MTIA
Sats

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Re: Fire tablet or anything better?

Postby tjh290633 » August 16th, 2019, 3:55 pm

I think there are better Android tablets available, without Amazon's interference. My wife had one which she has misplaced or lost. I have replaced it with a Fusion tablet, with Android 8 and a larger screen, which is vastly superior.

TJH

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » August 16th, 2019, 4:15 pm

Reviews are great for whittling down the options but I'd always get some hands on time in somewhere like Currys PC World.
The Lenovo tablets are pretty good for features v price, I was always quite impressed with them in the flesh (silicon?).

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » August 16th, 2019, 5:38 pm

I'm still very happy with my ASUS ZenPad 3S 10 Z500M 32GB tablet that I got nearly two years ago, and tend to use it for hours daily.

I gave a short review here viewtopic.php?f=39&t=7780&p=87892#p90672

Unfortunately it still seems to be about the same price it was back then, and I'm not sure if they've brought out any better/newer ones.

Scott.

SalvorHardin
Lemon Quarter

Postby SalvorHardin » August 16th, 2019, 6:39 pm

I've had a Samsung Galaxy A 10.1 for a couple of years and use it in preference to my Amazon FIre 8 most of the time.

I'm firmly in the Android camp. Being able to expand the memory with SD cards and having a USB connection trumps the iPad (which has neither).

For me the problem with Amazon's tablets is that you are restricted in what apps you can use. Amazon doesn't use Google Play Store; instead it has its own store where there is a limited choice of apps (if you're looking to use bookies' apps you won't find them on Amazon). Also when it comes to the world wide web you are restricted to Amazon's Silk browser. I gather that it is possible to get around this using "sideloading" (downloading the APK file for the app), but that's not for me (a possible security risk?) - I'd rather have a second tablet.

Asides from the restricted app selection, the Amazon Fire 8 is an excellent tablet (when watching videos I tend to favour it over the Galaxy A).

todthedog
Lemon Slice

Postby todthedog » August 17th, 2019, 8:32 am

I use a chuwi 12.5 bought on offer £165 straight from china delivered to uk it runs windows 10 very happy to date added a sd card to increase storage.
Mrs T has a fire tablet you can add play store easily just google how to, easy to follow directions.

Satsuma
Lemon Slice

Postby Satsuma » August 17th, 2019, 1:15 pm

Wow thanks everyone!

I am not in any way tied to the Fire, I guess they just did a better job of explaining it. I probably prefer the flexibility and popularity of Android anyway, but there are so many gazillions of ranges within ranges I just got lost (Galaxy being a prime example of far much choice!)

Talking of OS, is it worth pushing budget/perhaps limiting choice to ensure I get one running Pie; or even wait for something with Q?
if not, how far back is still perfectly good enough?

I will look again at the names listed below though. And maybe wander over to a electronic superstore on a busy day so I can try and avoid pushy sales people!

Cheers
Sats

staffordian
Lemon Quarter

Postby staffordian » August 17th, 2019, 4:58 pm

Satsuma wrote:Talking of OS, is it worth pushing budget/perhaps limiting choice to ensure I get one running Pie; or even wait for something with Q?
if not, how far back is still perfectly good enough?

I'm no expert, this is simply a personal viewpoint.

Many tablets will offer at least one OS upgrades. I have a now rather elderly Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 which is still on Android 7 Nougat but which was on the precious version when bought.

It runs perfectly well, currently does all I need it to do, and I've not yet had any issues with Play Store apps not running because the OS is too old. I suspect it may be a little more vulnerable security wise but I've never had any issues

Essentially, my view is buy now, at whatever price point you choose and accept whichever version it has. Otherwise it becomes a case of never buying as there will always be something better around the corner..

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » August 17th, 2019, 5:13 pm

You want something with a good battery life and decent screen. I replaced a Tesco HUDL with a Samsung 10.5 T590.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-T590-G ... 171&sr=8-4

Satsuma
Lemon Slice

Postby Satsuma » August 19th, 2019, 7:59 am

Update: I happened to pass by a Currys yesterday so nipped in.

I now know I want something on the smaller side - maybe 8-9". The 10" ones are just too big for me/what I need it for.
There are a lot of <£100 options at that size, which makes it easier, as there isn't the pressure to ensure it is exactly right if I was spending hundreds of pounds.

So now it's really down to the functionality: good battery life, separate charging and audio point (one random tablet I looked at seemed to share this), decent android version - from this thread and personal preference I think I'll want Oreo minimum, if I can't get Pie. I have also seen several which have a "Go" version of the OS. The official write ups sound good - a stripped back version of full android and I don't need every bell and whistle anyway, but if anyone knows different..?

Thanks to Lemons for the steer away from the Fire too.

Sats

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » August 19th, 2019, 10:32 am

Satsuma wrote:Update: I happened to pass by a Currys yesterday so nipped in.

I now know I want something on the smaller side - maybe 8-9". The 10" ones are just too big for me/what I need it for.
There are a lot of <£100 options at that size, which makes it easier, as there isn't the pressure to ensure it is exactly right if I was spending hundreds of pounds.

So now it's really down to the functionality: good battery life, separate charging and audio point (one random tablet I looked at seemed to share this), decent android version - from this thread and personal preference I think I'll want Oreo minimum, if I can't get Pie. I have also seen several which have a "Go" version of the OS. The official write ups sound good - a stripped back version of full android and I don't need every bell and whistle anyway, but if anyone knows different..?

Thanks to Lemons for the steer away from the Fire too.

Sats

Re. the size, I had an 8" Lenovo that is/was a great little tablet, but it became a bit of a pain after a while, especially with writing emails and looking at some websites. I still have it but switched over to a 10" Huawei that made everything a lot easier.

Steve

hiriskpaul
Lemon Quarter

Postby hiriskpaul » August 20th, 2019, 12:55 pm

You might want to think about the screen aspect ratio. If you are going to be mainly watching Netflix, etc. a wide screen, typically 16:10, is better than the narrower 4:3 screens that many have, but 4:3 may be better for more general use.

I don't have a Fire, but a few of my daughters' friends do and they seem perfectly happy with them. It is very straightforward to install Google Play Store and get all the normal Google apps by the way. No need to "root" the device or do anything else that would invalidate the guarantee.

I have a Huawei Mediapad M2, a few years old now. Huawei Mediapads have much higher quality screens than Fires, but they are also much more expensive. I felt it was worth it at the time, but may not be now the Fires have been improved.

BobbyD
Lemon Half

Postby BobbyD » August 20th, 2019, 1:49 pm

Satsuma wrote:The one thing it doesn't do is NowTV playback, but I understand can get a plug in stick to support that? (I have NowTV at home)

You should be able to watch Now TV by going to the Now TV web page and logging in.

Satsuma wrote:I now know I want something on the smaller side - maybe 8-9". The 10" ones are just too big for me/what I need it for.

hiriskpaul wrote:You might want to think about the screen aspect ratio. If you are going to be mainly watching Netflix, etc. a wide screen, typically 16:10, is better than the narrower 4:3 screens that many have, but 4:3 may be better for more general use.

For me the sweet spot was a 9.6" Samsung tab. A massive improvement over earlier smaller tablets, but without the bulk of the 4:3, much of which you are only carrying around so it can become black bars at the top and bottom of your netflix video.

Satsuma
Lemon Slice

Postby Satsuma » August 28th, 2019, 7:31 am

hello again

To cut a long, tedious story short (and contradict myself on the size!), the shortlist is now between the Samsung Tab A 10.1 32GB; and the Lenovo E10 32GB.

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing ... 2-pdt.html
https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing ... 7-pdt.html

Both well reviewed and seem to do everything I want.
Samsung is latest spec, so runs on Pie, whilst Lenovo is on Oreo.
Taking into account various discounts/cashback/vouchers I have, the Lenovo comes in about £50-60 cheaper.

It's not a massive sum to start with, but my fiercely LBYM side says £50 cheaper is £50 cheaper.
But will I regret not spending the extra for the Samsung?

TIA
Sats

(PS. I've canned Huawei options due to the on/off spat between them and Google - just seemed like more hassle than it's worth when there are fine alternatives.)

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » August 28th, 2019, 8:21 pm

Satsuma wrote:
the shortlist is now between the Samsung Tab A 10.1 32GB; and the Lenovo E10 32GB -

Taking into account various discounts/cashback/vouchers I have, the Lenovo comes in about £50-60 cheaper.

It's not a massive sum to start with, but my fiercely LBYM side says £50 cheaper is £50 cheaper.

Not sure if you're aware Sats, but Amazon currently have a £10 off voucher that you can tick, which brings their Samsung 10.1 offer down to £159 -

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07Q117JTH

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

BobbyD
Lemon Half

Postby BobbyD » August 28th, 2019, 10:06 pm

Satsuma wrote:hello again

To cut a long, tedious story short (and contradict myself on the size!), the shortlist is now between the Samsung Tab A 10.1 32GB; and the Lenovo E10 32GB.

TIA
Sats

(PS. I've canned Huawei options due to the on/off spat between them and Google - just seemed like more hassle than it's worth when there are fine alternatives.)

Bought my Samsung A with Tesco points some years ago. Still going strong and the battery still holds up to a surprising amount of on train video watching. The best guide to age I have is that it is still running Jelly Bean from 2013!

The best thing I've found about Samsung though are their warranties. I've got a Samsung phone. A week after getting it it stopped charging from the USB. They picked it up from my house, fixed it, and returned it to my door in a few days. Previously I'd had to return a Sony phone for warranty repair over and over, at a trip to the post office and 7-10 day wait a time.

Initial reaction, lots of bezel on the Lenovo...

Side by side comparison: https://www.gadgetsnow.com/compare-tabl ... A-101-2019

Bits which jump out at me:

Battery 4850 mAh 6150 mAh

Screen Resolution 800 x 1280 pixels 1200 x 1920 pixels

Operating System Android v8.0 (Oreo) Android v9.0 (Pie)

Thickness 8.9 mm 7.5 mm
Width 171 mm 149.4 mm
Weight 530 grams 469 grams
Height 247 mm 245.2 mm

Sammy wins on every count.

Would I enjoy paying the extra £50? No.

Would I be beating myself up about wasting the extra on the Samsung? No.

Better screen, better battery and more compact. Everything you want in an electronic travelling companion.

Oh, and 2 year warranty rather than 1.

Satsuma
Lemon Slice

Postby Satsuma » August 29th, 2019, 10:30 am

That's super helpful, thank you Bobby and it'sallaguess!

Looks like I will "invest" the extra £50...no, £40! then.

This has been such a helpful thread and I really appreciate everyone's input!

Thanks all
Sats

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » August 29th, 2019, 11:05 am

Just to clarify, the Samsung I bought is the 10.5 version (see picture below).

There is a 2016 10.1 Tab so you might need to be careful to ensure you get the 2019 version. The Amazon link is for a 2019 version but it's worth checking (especially if you were to buy at a local Currys or similar).

Satsuma
Lemon Slice

Postby Satsuma » August 29th, 2019, 11:34 am

Thanks for the advice monabri, I shall be sure to select the right model.

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » August 29th, 2019, 2:46 pm

If you are looking at the Samsung Tab A 10.1 32GB and want to use it to watch video (as you indicated you would be) then it might be worth listening to one before buying.

It has two speakers but they are both on the bottom of the tablet (when held in portrait) so when watching they are both on the left (or the right) and the sound is really odd. I (or rather my wife) owns one and realistically wouldn't want to use it for video as I find it too annoying (I own a Lenovo Tab 2 which is far better as it has speakers on the front, although it has a 'unique' design for the battery which many find annoying).

Also with these Samsung Tab A tablets, they only have 2GB of RAM which means they can be a bit sluggish with some webpages and apps. Most Android phones these days have gone to 3 or even 4GB.

Anyway, just thought I would mention.

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”