Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Windows Update 1903 - right-click in task bar not working

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
Nocton
Lemon Slice

Windows Update 1903 - right-click in task bar not working

Postby Nocton » August 21st, 2019, 8:41 am

Since this update I find that right-clicking on items on the task bar, does not have any effect. E.g.I have the Firefox icon/short-cut pinned to the task bar. Left-clicking on it opens Firefox as expected; right-clicking shows the list of other actions including web sites to go to directly, but then clicking on a selected item has no effect. How can I correct this annoying 'improvement'?

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Re: Windows Update 1903 - right-click in task bar not working

Postby mc2fool » August 21st, 2019, 10:15 am

I had a similar-ish problem after upgrading to 1809, with left-clicking a folder within the File Explorer taskbar right-click menu, right-clicking This PC and clicking on Manage, and Run as administrator all no longer working. See viewtopic.php?f=39&t=15172&p=187109#p187013 and posts that follow.

The problem turned out to be a dodgy context menu handler set up by an application I didn't even remember installing, and I determined that and fixed it using a tool called ShellExView. See viewtopic.php?f=39&t=15172&start=20#p189049

Nocton
Lemon Slice

Postby Nocton » August 21st, 2019, 1:24 pm

Thanks, mc2fool. I downloaded ShellExView but not sure what to do next. When I click on the links you gave to previous threads I get the message "No posts exist inside this topic for the selected time frame.".

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » August 21st, 2019, 2:31 pm

Nocton wrote:Thanks, mc2fool. I downloaded ShellExView but not sure what to do next. When I click on the links you gave to previous threads I get the message "No posts exist inside this topic for the selected time frame.".

Uh?!? They work for me....

The second one says: I used ShellExView as described at https://www.winhelponline.com/xp/slowrightclick.htm and identified the culprit as the NCH Express Zip File Compression tool which, it seems, has a dodgy context menu handler that was causing the problems. I got rid of that (unticked the option in the tool to add itself to the explorer context menu) and all's working fine again.

Basically, I used ShellExView to play 20 questions with the context menu items, disabling/enabling them and restarting Explorer between guesses, until I found the culprit.

Nocton
Lemon Slice

Postby Nocton » August 23rd, 2019, 2:52 pm

Thank you for the extra info. The problem is now fixed. It was not NCH Express Zip File Compression. It was a 'Memeo LIfe Agent Explorer Extension' a legacy from when I used Memeo software for backing up.
I followed the instructions here: https://www.winhelponline.com/blog/fix-slow-right-click-crashes-shell-extensions/

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » August 23rd, 2019, 3:26 pm

Nocton wrote:Thank you for the extra info. The problem is now fixed. It was not NCH Express Zip File Compression. It was a 'Memeo LIfe Agent Explorer Extension' a legacy from when I used Memeo software for backing up.
I followed the instructions here: https://www.winhelponline.com/blog/fix-slow-right-click-crashes-shell-extensions/

Which is exactly where my link takes you. :D (Looks like WinHelpOnline decided to change their page addressing scheme since my original post last December, which I copied into my post above. Thankfully they made the old addresses forward to the new ones....)

Anyway, glad you got it fixed and happy to have been able to help. :D

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”