Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

DailyMail website redirects to my former proxy IP website

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

DailyMail website redirects to my former proxy IP website

Postby DiamondEcho » August 27th, 2019, 5:34 pm

... I know it's the 'Daily Wail' but occasionally I follow a link to an article there. Or I'm skimming the papers and want to get a feel for a broad range of opinion on a given day. But if I try to go to their website I am instead redirected straight to the login page of a web proxy https://www.smartdnsproxy.com/login?v=y to which I used to subscribe when living abroad, as many British websites (esp news) were locally blocked.

Now I'm back in the UK I no longer need a proxy, and have done (last year) what I thought necessary to expunge it from my computers. However curiously if trying to visit the DM site it always redirects me to the page above that prompts me to login to something I'm no longer subscribed to.

DAK how to break this redirection?

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Re: DailyMail website redirects to my former proxy IP website

Postby ReformedCharacter » August 27th, 2019, 5:52 pm

Assuming that you've undone the instructions here, using Win10 as an example:

http://support.smartdnsproxy.com/custom ... -dns-proxy

Then it might be an idea to clear your cache and cookies.

RC

DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Re: DailyMail website redirects to my former proxy IP website

Postby DiamondEcho » August 31st, 2019, 6:32 pm

Thanks RC, I was going to do 3 steps. Wait for my wife to return from a few days away and mirror the settings in her internet connection, since I didn't want to risk losing our principal channel of comms in her absence. The proxy web-page you linked outlines how to set it up in the first place but not how to undo it, and of course things like the household IP#'s are more personal. Then if that didn't resolve it steps2+3 would have been your suggestions, once I was comfortable understanding quite what would get deleted (pre-filled logins for sites like this one and a couple of dozen other sites with logins?)

In the event the step-1 seems to have resolved the issue. It seems the proxy IP#s/settings (IIRC TPCv4 and 6?) were still input in Settings, even though I no longer use it, and to my mind it was something that shouldn't matter since the proxy was never my primary or everyday connection and 'so shouldn't prompt me to log-in unless I've gone to their website and chosen to log-in to it'. Why it only triggered on some sites rather than most others is still unclear (your steps 2+3 perhaps), but no matter it's now resolved. For the record if the above 3 steps hadn't resolved it, then I comtemplated that I also had the choice of trying to find the original set-up info for our internet router and going through that again, as if redoing the initial set-up.

Thanks again/appreciate it; I just wanted to lay out how I resolved this in case something similar ever happens to others. For non-techies like me it's way beyond my knowledge so tends to unnerve me quite a bit!

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”