Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Can't get onto my yahoo emails

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
mike
Lemon Slice

Re: Can't get onto my yahoo emails

Postby mike » September 5th, 2019, 5:07 pm

An update regarding the missing e-mails of this morning from the Yahoo Customer Care twitter account (@YahooCare)

Am back on line but lost emails that were sent this morning? is this right?
1 reply . 0 retweets 0 likes

Yahoo Customer Care
‏Verified account @YahooCare
13m13 minutes ago

Thos e email should send/receive once our servers catch up. -JC
0 replies . 0 retweets 0 likes

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » September 5th, 2019, 5:18 pm

mike wrote:An update regarding the missing e-mails of this morning from the Yahoo Customer Care twitter account (@YahooCare)

Those email should send/receive once our servers catch up. - JC

That would appear to be said in hope rather than as a promise. The operative word there is 'should'.

I know for a fact that there were some dozen RNS alerts I should have received this morning (still no sign of them) and the first test email I sent from Yahoo Mail to my BT Yahoo mail account has still not appeared (even though a second test mail did (eventually)).

TedSwippet
Lemon Slice

Postby TedSwippet » September 5th, 2019, 5:43 pm

Bouleversee wrote:
Watis wrote:...The reason it's still working this morning is that Gmail access my Yahoo! emails directly through an API (Application Programming Interface) - a bit of software that accesses the store of emails directly and not through Yahoo! email's web page, which is likely to be the part of the system that is affected by today's problems.

I am surprised yahoo would agree to that access.

In a sense, there's not much they can do to prevent it. The standard email access protocol these days is IMAP, and the ability to do stuff like Gmailify comes as part of the package. If Yahoo! hobbled this somehow, they would lose the ability to operate with email clients like Thunderbird, Outlook and Mac Mail.

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » September 5th, 2019, 8:10 pm

Breelander wrote:
Breelander wrote: I also have a BT Yahoo email address, it's set up to forward emails to my plain-vanilla Yahoo Mail. I can send a new email to my BT account from Yahoo, but I have not yet received the forwarded email back again. I cannot sign in to my BT Yahoo Mail either.

I sent two test email in the end as nothing seemed to be happening.

I can now sign in to BT Yahoo Mail. The second test arrived some half hour after sending. It was automatically forwarded successfully, but didn't arrive back in my Yahoo Mail until about an hour after that. There is no sign of the first test, it seems to have been lost in a 'black hole'. I suspect a lot of other mail may have been 'lost' during this outage. :(

Edit: some functions are yet to return. I can 'View raw message' in the BT Yahoo Mail account (so I could see the servers that handled this email, and at what time). 'View raw message' doesn't work yet in plain-vanilla Yahoo Mail.

I too still have a (largely redundant) BT Yahoo Talk21 email account.

I just logged on OK - that means I enter email account name at Yahoo Mail, it redirects me to BT Email, I log on there, it lands me in a BT Yahoo email account. ;)
Anyway! Seems to be working, I see a message sent to me today (a copy will have been redirected to my current email account).

P.S. Wish TLF was working as smoothly!

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » September 5th, 2019, 9:48 pm

My daughter forwarded this article from BBC. Those of you who were able to access your emails via gmail or whatever might like to respond to their enquiry:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-49596820

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » September 5th, 2019, 9:53 pm

As x-fool suggests, there are problems on here, too. When submitting a reply, there is a long wait while the circle goes round, then nothing for some time, so you don't know whether it has gone or not and you might start adding to it, then suddenly it's gone.

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » September 5th, 2019, 10:03 pm

Bouleversee wrote:My daughter forwarded this article from BBC. Those of you who were able to access your emails via gmail or whatever might like to respond to their enquiry:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-49596820

The Gmail option works as long as the master account (Yahoo in this case) is receiving emails that can be accessed by the secondary account (Gmail via POP3/IMAP/Gmailify). If, as has been intimidated in this thread, there are missing emails from this morning then it won't make much difference until the receive side comes back online and the send sources retry sending to the (now working) Yahoo servers.

The only real solution to that issue would be to have the same emails sent to more than one address, which is doable via forwarders.
Maybe worth looking at for critical stuff, work emails et al.
The chances of more than one major cloud email provider falling over at the same time is slim, today was exacerbated by the fact the there are a few relying on the Verizon (Oath) infrastructure set up, since they bought out Yahoo and AOL.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Verizon_Media

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » September 9th, 2019, 4:21 pm

It doesn't look as though we are ever going to receive all those emails which were sent during the Yahoo outage, does it?

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » September 9th, 2019, 5:07 pm

Bouleversee wrote:It doesn't look as though we are ever going to receive all those emails which were sent during the Yahoo outage, does it?

No. Neither the missing RNS alerts from Investegate nor the missing test email I sent from one of my Yahoo accounts to another have turned up yet. Look like they just got lost in the system. :(

My guess, Yahoo had to restore their servers to an earlier state just to get them up and running.

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » September 9th, 2019, 5:32 pm

Oh dear! I wonder how many invitations I have missed out on or how many people I have offended by not replying. :lol:

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » September 9th, 2019, 9:05 pm

Bouleversee wrote:Oh dear! I wonder how many invitations I have missed out on or how many people I have offended by not replying. :lol:

Good news, maybe you'll get them after all :)

My long lost test email has just arrived! The raw header shows it has taken four days to find its way through Yahoo's servers, but arrive it did (eventually)!

Received: from sonic.gate.mail.ne1.yahoo.com by sonic306.consmr.mail.bf2.yahoo.com with HTTP; Mon, 9 Sep 2019 19:39:20 +0000
Received: from sonic.gate.mail.ne1.yahoo.com by sonic301.consmr.mail.ir2.yahoo.com with HTTP; Thu, 5 Sep 2019 12:42:18 +0000
Date: Thu, 5 Sep 2019 12:42:14 +0000 (UTC)

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » September 10th, 2019, 9:38 am

Nothing in my inbox relating to that period. What a surprise!

Laughton
Lemon Slice

Postby Laughton » September 10th, 2019, 9:47 am

I received a stack of old emails on Sunday and another lot were there when I started up this morning.

Only really obvious with those that have some date info in the message but if you are really interested you can check on the "Properties" of the email and then check "Message Source" which will give the original send date and time and info about bounce back when originally sent. Unless it's important though it's really a bit of a waste of time.

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”