Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

TV picture pixelating

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
vrdiver
Lemon Quarter

TV picture pixelating

Postby vrdiver » September 2nd, 2019, 4:40 pm

Our TV has been pixelating for a while now. It plays NetFlix over wifi without any problems, so I'm assuming it's the freeview signal, rather than the TV itself, or else some interference in the cable run...

Has anybody had any success with:
a)replacing the wall-to-tv cable, or
b) fitting a "UHF Band Pass Filter", or
c) using a ferrite filter, or
d) any other solutions?

If so, any details appreciated.

VRD

xeny
Lemon Slice

Re: TV picture pixelating

Postby xeny » September 2nd, 2019, 5:11 pm

The menu on digital TVs normally offers a mechanism to view signal strength and quality (I presume a signal/noise ratio). What does that look like?

Have you tried one of the sites that lets you enter your postcode and gives the recommended Freeview broadcast aerial and confirmed that your aerial is correctly aligned, and the aerial element have the appropriate geometry?

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » September 2nd, 2019, 5:37 pm

vrdiver wrote:Our TV has been pixelating for a while now. It plays NetFlix over wifi without any problems, so I'm assuming it's the freeview signal, rather than the TV itself, or else some interference in the cable run...

Has anybody had any success with:
a)replacing the wall-to-tv cable, or
b) fitting a "UHF Band Pass Filter", or
c) using a ferrite filter, or
d) any other solutions?

If so, any details appreciated.

VRD

So has mine. It's been perfect for years, but occasional goes through bad spells, and I've always wondered if it might be the weather conditions. Last week it was almost unwatchable, this weekend not quite so bad. Annoying when it chooses to pixilate or display "no signal" just when there's a goal!

Even more galling, I notice BBC is worst and the outlandish channels which I never would watch are fine. In fact, I've noticed this on my boat: the BBC channels are often the ones I have trouble with and the commercials come through loud and clear.

Arb.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » September 2nd, 2019, 6:23 pm

We have a line of National Grid pylons running across the skyline between us and our regional transmitter (Mendip), and we find that our rural reception can depend on weather conditions and wind strength - particularly for BBC channels. Even the leaves on the trees seem to cause seasonal pixellation! But things have been much better since we ditched our roof aerial and bought an amplified aerial which sits on a windowsill - they're small, cheap, and not too unsightly these days.

But there are plenty of other things that can mess with your reception - neon and fluorescent lights (either yours or a neighbour's), railway lines, or just the location of another electro devicein the house. Could even be your wifi repeater, if you've got one. (Maybe try it in a different wall socket?)

Don't laugh, but does the signal quality change as you move about the room? The magnetic pull of your own body can cause distortion!

Finally, it may be due to short-term transmitter issues. You can check online for transmitter maintenance - we had a long spell of iffy signals at weekends but not during the weekdays. And try retuning your Freeview box, and/or your TV. Doesn't take too long. Good luck!

BJ

jfgw
Lemon Quarter

Postby jfgw » September 2nd, 2019, 6:39 pm

vrdiver wrote:Has anybody had any success with:
a)replacing the wall-to-tv cable...

Yes, it was one of those thin shop-bought ones. I once improved someone's reception considerably just by replacing one of these with one I made myself using good quality coax. The longer they are, the worse they are.

It is best not to have an aerial socket at all but to have the cable come out of the wall long enough to reach your TV.

That said, if your signal was ok before but has degraded, there is probably something-else amiss.

Julian F. G. W.

vrdiver
Lemon Quarter

Postby vrdiver » September 2nd, 2019, 7:16 pm

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I looked at the reception (https://www.radioandtelly.co.uk/recepti ... #predictor) and that seems OK for us, but did show a few mobile masts in the vicinity of our house (<1km). They may cause some interference?

The aerial is aligned OK and still attached as far as I can tell from the ground, but birds have a habit of sitting on it, which may have "knocked it" over the years. I'll have to take a proper look.

We do have a plug-in ethernet cable (one that uses the house wiring) so I'll remove that and stick to wifi only. I'll also tidy up the cabling behind the tv to ensure the aerial lead is not wrapped in others :oops:

Our lights are LED (as is the streetlighting). Not sure if that would make any difference, but the pixelation occurs during the day as well as after dusk, so I don't think so.

Have retuned the TV (inbuilt Freeview) to no effect, but will take a look at the signal strength / noise info.

Pixelation seems to occur wherever I am, so I don't think it's the proximity of my magnetic personality that's causing it :lol:

And yes - BBC (Antiques Roadshow Sunday evening) was terrible.

VRD

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » September 2nd, 2019, 7:23 pm

I'm on the edge of reception for my main Freeview transmitter and have occasionally had reception problems. A large tree in direct line of sight doesn't help, especially when it rains and the leaves are soaking wet :(

Check the aerial alignment and the quality of your cables first. But after doing that I added a signal booster like one of these:

https://www.oneforall.co.uk/accessories ... stribution

Not only did it improve reception, but on more than one occasion it has saved me from having to replace the TV. A lightening strike directly overhead can fry the input stages of a TV tuner. With a booster in the chain it gets toasted instead, acting as a 'fuse' to protect the TV.

Twice now I have had to replace the booster after a heavy storm, but that is far cheaper than a new TV. :D

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » September 2nd, 2019, 8:17 pm

If it used to work fine then clearly you need to look for what's changed, and obviously making sure the aerial is still ok and pointing in the right direction and checking out all the cabling down to the TV is a good thing to do.

You might also check if you're getting 4G interference and get a filter. See https://at800.tv/

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » September 2nd, 2019, 8:18 pm

vrdiver wrote:And yes - BBC (Antiques Roadshow Sunday evening) was terrible.VRD

La Fiona does insist on calling a painting a picture.

vrdiver
Lemon Quarter

Postby vrdiver » September 7th, 2019, 3:06 pm

Update: have now fitted a filter as per
Breelander wrote:I added a signal booster like one of these: https://www.oneforall.co.uk/accessories ... stribution

BBC signal strength and quality is now 10/10, with ITV the only channel that still seems a bit variable, but even this is an improvement on the previous quality.

Thanks to all for the advice. Apologies to the local tv aerial fitters who never got a call ;)

VRD

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”