Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to tjh290633,csearle,jfgw,bionichamster,Shelford, for Donating to support the site

Remote control socket.

Seek assistance with technology
Snorvey
Lemon Quarter

Remote control socket.

Postby Snorvey » September 8th, 2019, 11:06 am

With winter coming over the hill, it's time to dig out the slow cooker. There's nothing like coming home after work to the smell of something that has been gently cooking away for the day.

And that's the problem. A day is too long - even on the 'low' setting. And if we're running late, the food is overcooked and too dry and if we put it extra water, it turns to mush.

We know from weekend usage, it's best to turn it on at about 10.30 ish in the morning, although that can vary.

So I'm looking for a plug/socket that I can turn on via an app from work (if such a thing exists). Looking on Amazon, there seems to be a plethora of devices that seem to do what I want, but I wouldn't mind a recommendation from someone on here.

If it helps, I have a Google Home device?

Cheers

Snorvey

Itsallaguess
Lemon Quarter

Re: Remote control socket.

Postby Itsallaguess » September 8th, 2019, 11:31 am

Snorvey wrote:
With winter coming over the hill, it's time to dig out the slow cooker. There's nothing like coming home after work to the smell of something that has been gently cooking away for the day.

And that's the problem. A day is too long - even on the 'low' setting. And if we're running late, the food is overcooked and too dry and if we put it extra water, it turns to mush.

We know from weekend usage, it's best to turn it on at about 10.30 ish in the morning, although that can vary.

So I'm looking for a plug/socket that I can turn on via an app from work (if such a thing exists). Looking on Amazon, there seems to be a plethora of devices that seem to do what I want, but I wouldn't mind a recommendation from someone on here.

I had a similar dilemma for our outside Christmas lights last year.

Any solution needed to be stand-alone, and not use any type of 'hub' or require Google Home or Alexa, as I don't have anything like that other than my wireless router. I wanted something that I could both 'instant remote' on and off and also that I could set regular time schedules for.

In the end I bought a TP-Link Smart-Plug (HS100) and it delivered everything that I needed and worked reliably with very easy set-up and control.

The TP-Link Smart-Plug (HS100) model that I have is currently £15.99 on Amazon -

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-Required-Control-Devices-Anywhere/dp/B07CKVZFGX

There is another TP-Link Smart-Plug model, the HS110, that has built in energy-monitoring technology, so you can monitor and record power-usage over time, which might be an advantage for some uses. They are currently £18.99 on Amazon -

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-Required-Control-Devices-Anywhere/dp/B07GWWRK1C

I use my Android phone to control mine, and the app is very simple to use. I don't think I'd particularly want to control anything that's too high-power with something like this, but I would have no problem recommending the above for relatively low power applications like a slow-cooker, which normally use power in the 100's of Watts, rather than kW's.

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

xeny
Lemon Pip

Postby xeny » September 8th, 2019, 12:04 pm

I'm also very happy with the various TP-Link smart plugs I own.

They can definitely be controlled from the Echo ecosystem, and https://www.tp-link.com/uk/support/faq/ ... lect-local documents how to use them with Google Home.

Snorvey
Lemon Quarter

Postby Snorvey » September 8th, 2019, 12:05 pm

Spot on chaps. That's it ordered.

Thanks.

Dod101
Lemon Quarter

Postby Dod101 » September 8th, 2019, 12:08 pm

Can you not just use a simple timer plug so that the slow cooker comes on at a time of your choosing without the need for remote control? After all you might forget to do anything about it.

I have this for a hot water circulation pump and it works without me doing a thing about it.

Dod

Snorvey
Lemon Quarter

Postby Snorvey » September 8th, 2019, 12:26 pm

Dod101 wrote:Can you not just use a simple timer plug so that the slow cooker comes on at a time of your choosing without the need for remote control? After all you might forget to do anything about it.

I have this for a hot water circulation pump and it works without me doing a thing about it.

Dod

I looked at one of those Dod, but I'd prefer to have the flexibility of turning it on/off when I choose - such as when I have a better idea of when I'm going to get home. If the ones that IAG suggested didn't exist, I'd probably just go for a fixed timer mechanical device as you suggest and reheat the food when I get in.

pochisoldi
Lemon Slice

Postby pochisoldi » September 8th, 2019, 2:23 pm

Snorvey wrote:With winter coming over the hill, it's time to dig out the slow cooker. There's nothing like coming home after work to the smell of something that has been gently cooking away for the day.

Cheers

Snorvey

Keep it simple:
Buy a 24hr plug in mechanical timer - one with 15minute segments.
Set it to the current time, push in/pullout the segments to set the on/off time, bingo.

£4:
https://www.wilko.com/en-uk/wilko-24-ho ... /p/0142473

£5:
https://www.diy.com/departments/b-q-24- ... 763_BQ.prd

servodude
Lemon Slice

Postby servodude » September 10th, 2019, 4:00 am

pochisoldi wrote:
Snorvey wrote:With winter coming over the hill, it's time to dig out the slow cooker. There's nothing like coming home after work to the smell of something that has been gently cooking away for the day.

Cheers

Snorvey

Keep it simple:
Set it to the current time, push in/pullout the segments to set the on/off time, bingo.

£4:

£5:

Do both! ;)
Have the mechanical timer coming on to power the smart plug
- which you can then turn off via your phone to avoid the risk of overcooking when you get stuck in the pub

actually most smart plugs will allow you to schedule a start and stop anyway (i think storing it locally on the device)
- so give you the best of both worlds (as long as your wifi holds up)

which has got me thinking about whether there's smart plugs that use "powerline" for comms (as I've already got those installed to provide wifi points)

- sd

Dod101
Lemon Quarter

Postby Dod101 » September 10th, 2019, 6:23 am

pochisoldi wrote:

Cheers

Snorvey

Keep it simple:

£4:

£5:

That is of course precisely what I was recommending above. They seem to be foolproof. Snorvey though would like the remote control, electronic version as he explained.

Dod

AF62
Lemon Slice

Postby AF62 » September 11th, 2019, 7:00 pm

Itsallaguess wrote:In the end I bought a TP-Link Smart-Plug (HS100) and it delivered everything that I needed and worked reliably with very easy set-up and control.

The TP-Link Smart-Plug (HS100) model that I have is currently £15.99 on Amazon -

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-Required-Control-Devices-Anywhere/dp/B07CKVZFGX

There is another TP-Link Smart-Plug model, the HS110, that has built in energy-monitoring technology, so you can monitor and record power-usage over time, which might be an advantage for some uses. They are currently £18.99 on Amazon -

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-Required-Control-Devices-Anywhere/dp/B07GWWRK1C

The advantage of the HS110 is that with the energy monitoring is you can actually see from the energy consumption the socket has turned on, whereas with the HS100 you have to trust the app is telling you the correct thing.

Probably not an issue here, but might be more relevant for other applications.

Snorvey wrote:And if we're running late, the food is overcooked and too dry and if we put it extra water, it turns to mush.

You can also connect the TP-Link plugs to IFTTT (https://ifttt.com/) so you should be able to set location based triggering if you wanted, i.e. automatically turn it on or off when you are at a certain location.

Itsallaguess
Lemon Quarter

Postby Itsallaguess » September 16th, 2019, 3:18 pm

Just a heads up for anyone interested in the TP-Link energy-monitoring version of these Smart Switches (the HS110's) - a twin-pack is currently available from Ebuyer for just £29.99 -

https://www.ebuyer.com/912085-tp-link-hs110-wi-fi-smart-plug-with-energy-monitoring-twin-pack-hs110-twin-pack

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

AF62
Lemon Slice

Postby AF62 » September 16th, 2019, 6:43 pm

Itsallaguess wrote:Just a heads up for anyone interested in the TP-Link energy-monitoring version of these Smart Switches (the HS110's) - a twin-pack is currently available from Ebuyer for just £29.99

They also tend to be the sort of thing that is a Black Friday deal (that was where I got mine) if waiting a few weeks is an option.

Snorvey
Lemon Quarter

Postby Snorvey » September 16th, 2019, 6:54 pm

Well I got one and it seems to work well - with a plug in table lamp at least. When it's used on the slow cooker, I'll report back.

I can't think there would be anything else I would use it for tbh

Return to “Computers, TVs & Phones”