Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Phones: Is newer always better?

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
bruncher
Lemon Quarter

Phones: Is newer always better?

Postby bruncher » July 22nd, 2019, 3:22 pm

I have had a Samsung Galaxy S7 for three years, am off contract with a SIM only deal. But the screen has several cracks now, and I don't want to risk not having a working phone. I was thinking of buying another S7 because I am used to it and all seems OK. But would it be better to get a later model, as apps and other software will be more likely to work better with later hardware?

Was looking at A series like A50, A70, A6 ....

Any thoughts?

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Re: Phones: Is newer always better?

Postby UncleEbenezer » July 22nd, 2019, 5:25 pm

Perhaps you should look for something whose screen is robust against cracks, given that your existing phone evidently isn't?

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » July 22nd, 2019, 5:36 pm

bruncher wrote:
Any thoughts?

If looking for an unlocked handset, then I always take the view that there's a sweet-spot that I find attractive around a generation and a bit behind the current releases.

This ticks a few boxes for me -

1. The lower cost of previous-gen phones gives much better value, in my view at least.

2. I get to keep up with fairly recent 'latest technology' and phone features, without paying through the nose for 'bleeding-edge' tech...

3. I still usually get to have the latest Android software, and hopefully a fair few update cycles too. This sometimes important, depending on any particular app requirements...

4. I want to own a model of phone that's been extensively run-in and soak-tested by lots of people. I certainly don't want to carry the risk of buying the next Samsung Note 7 exploding phone...

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

bruncher
Lemon Quarter

Postby bruncher » July 22nd, 2019, 6:11 pm

Itsallaguess wrote:
bruncher wrote:
Any thoughts?

If looking for an unlocked handset, then I always take the view that there's a sweet-spot that I find attractive around a generation and a bit behind the current releases.

This ticks a few boxes for me -

1. The lower cost of previous-gen phones gives much better value, in my view at least.

2. I get to keep up with fairly recent 'latest technology' and phone features, without paying through the nose for 'bleeding-edge' tech...

3. I still usually get to have the latest Android software, and hopefully a fair few update cycles too. This sometimes important, depending on any particular app requirements...

4. I want to own a model of phone that's been extensively run-in and soak-tested by lots of people. I certainly don't want to carry the risk of buying the next Samsung Note 7 exploding phone...

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

I totally agree. I'm looking for that
sweet-spot
If I stay with Samsung, is the sweet spot staying with S7, or is that too many generations back? So many models out there it's hard to know ....

quelquod
Lemon Quarter

Postby quelquod » July 22nd, 2019, 11:08 pm

I’m on iPhone so less relevant perhaps, but I’m finding that the advances of the last 3 years or so have meant nothing in the slightest to me so I’m currently 3 (at least) models behind and completely abreast of any OS or app updates.

bruncher
Lemon Quarter

Postby bruncher » July 23rd, 2019, 12:38 pm

I've bought another S7, since I've signed an new 18 month SIM-only contract a few weeks back, otherwise I would have upgraded. The cost of a replacement screen at £130 makes a repair on a three year old phone not worthwhile and a new phone gets me a new battery, which is a major thing with these phones that have batteries that can't be removed. I believe I've bought a new phone not a refurbished one of which there are thousands out there for sale but their history and provenance not always clear.

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » July 23rd, 2019, 7:17 pm

bruncher wrote:If I stay with Samsung, is the sweet spot staying with S7, or is that too many generations back? So many models out there it's hard to know ....

Personally I wouldn't buy an old model like an S7, but something newer like the Moto G7 which is far cheaper and will likely do all you need. If I was looking to spend the asking price of an S7 I would looking at the Google Pixel 3a.

bruncher
Lemon Quarter

Postby bruncher » July 24th, 2019, 12:04 am

I spoke too soon when I wrote "I've bought another S7"

I did order one online and my order was accepted. In total I had three emails from Fonehouse:

1. Welcome to Fonehouse
2. Thank you for your order
3. Your order has been cancelled:

"Dear Customer,

Thank you for placing a new order with fonehouse.co.uk

We regret to inform you that for security reasons we have cancelled your order and refunded any money that we may have resevered from your account.

We apologise for any inconvenience caused.

Kind Regards,

The Fonehouse Team"

I called them to enquire about the "security reasons" and after being on hold for 20 minutes I was told that their sytem doesn't like my email address which is a protonmail.com address, although apparently their 'system' was happy to send me three emails.

Unbelievable.

So I called a branch near me, yes they have one in stock, but when I got there they had heard me ask for "A7" not "S7", so they didn't have one. I ordered one, against the advice of the manager, who advised either an 'as new' S7 or a new model.

Does this stuff happen to other people?

Julian
Lemon Quarter

Postby Julian » July 24th, 2019, 10:10 am

bruncher wrote:...
We regret to inform you that for security reasons we have cancelled your order and refunded any money that we may have resevered from your account.
Does this stuff happen to other people?

I've had some online suppliers get twitchy about security and call me up to verify my identity, which then makes me start to get twitchy about the supplier but in one recent case (a robot vacuum cleaner) I went ahead and the product arrived OK. I also see a few sites with disclaimers such as the following cut and pasted from a site (with a high Trustpilot rating) that I have open at the moment ...

We carry out security checks on all high value orders for the protection of us and our customers. In some cases this may mean we require further information and/or identification prior to despatch. If this is the case we will get in touch with you directly so please ensure we have the correct contact information for you.

... the above describing exactly the sort of verification call I was talking about above re my robot vacuum cleaner. I guess these sort of sites have had enough fraudulent transactions to make them quite cautious.

Wherever possible I now try to stick to ordering in-store or buying on Amazon (or rather Smile - https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/cust ... =202035970) if I can, i.e. if they have what I want and pricing is at least somewhat comparable to elsewhere.

- Julian

jaizan
Lemon Slice

Postby jaizan » July 24th, 2019, 5:21 pm

Whatever phone I get, I put a plastic case on it to protect the back and sides.

For the front, I use one of those thin glass protector sheets. Unlike the plastic ones, this is unnoticeble in use and should protect the real glass screen underneath.
This rules out some of the phones with curved screens.

bruncher
Lemon Quarter

Postby bruncher » September 7th, 2019, 10:42 pm

Julian wrote:
Wherever possible I now try to stick to ordering in-store or buying on Amazon .....

- Julian
[/quote]

I did order a new S7 on Amazon. It turned out not to be new. I had to take it to Samsung service centre as it had lost one channel of audio and I had cracked the back of the phone (never managed that before). Samsung said they would not do any repairs because the phone had been tampered with: 1) the battery had been through a recycling charge 976 times, so was nowhere near new; 2) it was originally gold not black as had been sold to me.

The Amazon Marketplace seller could not refund me quickly enough, the original price + postage + Samsung inspection fee!

SalvorHardin
Lemon Quarter

Postby SalvorHardin » September 7th, 2019, 10:59 pm

A week ago I went from a 5 year old Samsung Galaxy Ace 4 to a Samsung A70 (£370 from Carphone Warehouse). The A70 is superb; it feels like I've gone from a bicycle to a Formula One car.

I bought cases/covers for both phones, fairly robust leather/fake leather ones, covering the entire phone, to cope with day-to-day wear and tear. I'd rather spend a few quid extra on a bit of protection than not.

A little bit of care in how you carry the phone helps. Often you'll see a phone in someone's jeans' back pocket, primed for a spot of bending / screen cracking when they forget and sit down, or falling out, or making a tempting target for pickpockets (as do all valuables carried in back pockets).

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » September 8th, 2019, 9:14 am

bruncher wrote:I did order a new S7 on Amazon. It turned out not to be new. I had to take it to Samsung service centre as it had lost one channel of audio and I had cracked the back of the phone (never managed that before). Samsung said they would not do any repairs because the phone had been tampered with: 1) the battery had been through a recycling charge 976 times, so was nowhere near new; 2) it was originally gold not black as had been sold to me.

The Amazon Marketplace seller could not refund me quickly enough, the original price + postage + Samsung inspection fee!

As you have discovered Amazon Marketplace is full of crooks and Amazon have no interest in policing it (although they will often refund if the seller won't).

All the 5 star review of products in the Marketplace are fake and if you left a 1 star review of your second hand phone I bet the seller will offer you money to remove it.

If you buy anything more expensive than something you would happily throw away if it turned up broken, then it is well worth buying from Amazon themselves rather than a Marketplace seller. And if you buy anything branded such as batteries, SD cards, etc. then definitely buy from Amazon as you are highly likely to receive fakes from a Marketplace seller.

jonesa1
Lemon Slice

Postby jonesa1 » September 12th, 2019, 10:49 am

A few weeks ago I picked up an S8 discounted on Amazon for my partner. It appears to be a very good phone for someone who isn't interested in cutting edge features, the only problems I'm aware of are 1) the placement of the fingerprint reader (as covered in numerous reviews, it's difficult to use without smudging the camera lens, but this is a feature the recipient of the 'phone doesn't use), 2) a case really is required for any predominantly glass phone, making it more bulky.

skewwy

Postby skewwy » September 12th, 2019, 1:57 pm

The new, latest top line models are all about the camera. (which are very very good). If you are not concerned about that then slightly older models are perfectly fine for a good while yet.

skewwy

Postby skewwy » September 12th, 2019, 2:21 pm

jonesa1 wrote:A few weeks ago I picked up an S8 discounted on Amazon for my partner. It appears to be a very good phone for someone who isn't interested in cutting edge features, the only problems I'm aware of are 1) the placement of the fingerprint reader (as covered in numerous reviews, it's difficult to use without smudging the camera lens, but this is a feature the recipient of the 'phone doesn't use), 2) a case really is required for any predominantly glass phone, making it more bulky.

I'm a big fan of this phone, had it for well over 2 years and holding up very nicely, including battery life. My next one will be a S10e , very good reviews and not too expensive, seems like a nice successor to the S8.

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”