Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

McAfee Live Safe - Renewal vs buying it again

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
Andy46
2 Lemon pips

McAfee Live Safe - Renewal vs buying it again

Postby Andy46 » December 27th, 2016, 8:26 pm

Hi

I have a Dell laptop. Like all Dells it came with a years subscription to McAfee Livesafe which is now about to expire. I notice if I re-new the subscription it will cost me £59. However I can purchase the product new which comes with a years subscription for £25 on Amazon. Has anyone done this? are their any potential issues? Will I have to re-configure it etc?

Thanks

stewamax
Lemon Quarter

Re: McAfee Live Safe - Renewal vs buying it again

Postby stewamax » December 27th, 2016, 11:11 pm

Why bother - for around £15 you can buy Kaspersky Internet Security or Norton Security Standard. Both are much better products than McAfee which performs very poorly in tests and gives a false sense of security.
If you try to remove McAfee, note that it doesn't always want to go away and that there is a removal tool available from the McAfee people that does appear to work.

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » December 28th, 2016, 7:22 am

Andy46 wrote:
Hi

I have a Dell laptop. Like all Dells it came with a years subscription to McAfee Livesafe which is now about to expire. I notice if I re-new the subscription it will cost me £59. However I can purchase the product new which comes with a years subscription for £25 on Amazon. Has anyone done this? are their any potential issues? Will I have to re-configure it etc?

Thanks

I'm not sure what any of the paid-for security-packages might give you, but I've used the free-for-personal-use 'Comodo Internet Security' package of Anti-virus and Firewall for many years now, and would happily recommend it -

https://www.comodo.com/home/internet-se ... track=7639

Download link for install package - http://download.comodo.com/cis/download ... track=2192

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Postby Slarti » December 28th, 2016, 11:42 am

Andy46 wrote:Hi

Thanks

Many years ago McAfee was the market leader and I used to actually sell it, as well as use it. Then it bloated and the price went up and the quality went down.

These days I wouldn't trust it to keep a machine safe and anywhere I sold McAfee have talked the customer into ditching it and using a free application which seem to work just as well.

Currently Comodo, though you have to be careful when downloading and installing that you deselect the extras that they try to get you to install with it.

Slarti

Loir
2 Lemon pips

Postby Loir » December 28th, 2016, 1:29 pm

I haven't paid for an anti-virus for many years. I just use the usual free Windows offering. Windows Defender on Win10. I have never had any problems. But then I don't do anything very risky.

Loir

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » December 28th, 2016, 2:47 pm

Slarti wrote:
Andy46 wrote:
Currently Comodo, though you have to be careful when downloading and installing that you deselect the extras that they try to get you to install with it.

Slarti

That's a good point Slarti, and one I really should remember to mention when I discuss Comodo.

I seem to remember the vanilla-install wanting to put Geekbuddy and PrivDog onto the PC as well, as part of the initial install. There's options to disable those two 'features', and I'd also recommend removing them and just installing the basic AV/Firewall package.

I also disable the 'Desktop Control Panel', as I don't think it gives us anything over and above the information easily found by opening the main program from the task-bar if we need to. I want my AV/Firewall package to be as un-intrusive as possible, so it's slightly annoying to have to manually configure things that way from scratch, but once done then it just gets on with the job.

I also do a full scan myself, following installation, and then delete all regular 'default' scans and configure one that suits me.

Some good additional reading here for anyone wanting to delve into the Comodo settings from a vanilla-install - http://www.techsupportalert.com/content ... rewall.htm

Thanks for the reminder.

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » December 28th, 2016, 4:30 pm

Loir wrote:I haven't paid for an anti-virus for many years. I just use the usual free Windows offering. Windows Defender on Win10...

Me too, and Microsoft Security Essentials before that on Windows 7. Windows 10 is a big advance on MSE, Defender now includes Block at First Sight to catch things that are not yet in the database...
Microsoft TechNet wrote:Block at First Sight is a feature of Windows Defender cloud protection that provides a way to detect and block new malware within seconds.
https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/itp ... irst-sight

and there's SmartScreen...
Microsoft Support wrote:SmartScreen Filter helps you identify reported phishing and malware websites and also helps you make informed decisions about downloads...
https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/hel ... filter-faq

Beyond MS, I just use a HOSTS table...
MVPS HOSTS now includes entries for most major parasites, hijackers and unwanted Adware/Spyware programs!
http://winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.htmht ... /hosts.htm

...and an occasional scan with Malwarebytes (not that it ever finds anything).

Loir
2 Lemon pips

Postby Loir » December 29th, 2016, 11:03 am

Beyond MS, I just use a HOSTS table...
MVPS HOSTS now includes entries for most major parasites, hijackers and unwanted Adware/Spyware programs!
http://winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.htmht ... /hosts.htm

Yes, I had forgotten I had that. It's also very good at blocking most ads.
Well worth installing.

Loir

NomoneyNohoney
Lemon Slice

Postby NomoneyNohoney » December 29th, 2016, 12:23 pm

Don't forget you can install applications using ninite.com. They claim that they automatically refuse any add-ons or extras, so by downloading via them, you get the basic app with no hidden stuff. When reinstalling a pc, my first job after installing the OS, is to download apps/programs from ninite.com

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » September 24th, 2018, 2:11 pm

Windows Defender now scores a 'top product' award here...https://www.av-test.org/en/antivirus/home-windows/
I haven't used a paid for AV since the late 90's.

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”