Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

FTP problem with TSOhost

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
wickham
Lemon Slice

FTP problem with TSOhost

Postby wickham » October 25th, 2019, 7:46 am

Recently I found that I couldn't ftp my websites at TSOhost, although popups said that I was connected, starting session and reading remote directory but then got time outs with error messages saying the remote server wasn't responding.

TSO host asked for my IP and white-listed me and now I can ftp. I don't know why this happened but on 22nd October TSOhost did some upgrades.

My question is, did TSOhost white-list my IP or the domain names? My IP will probably change if I get a power cut (quite often) and the router will reboot with a different IP, Is it likely to be blacklisted again?

Is it possible that my IP was used previously by someone else who was blacklisted?

How can I keep my IP or domain names clean?

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Re: FTP problem with TSOhost

Postby Infrasonic » October 25th, 2019, 9:09 am

Check for blacklisting...https://mxtoolbox.com/blacklists.aspx

If you set up a free account with them (use dummy info if you want) then you can get one free real time domain monitor, which will check your domain for any blacklist issues every 7 days or so.
I've had my main domain monitored for the last 8 months on there (still 100% clean thankfully).

Whether you trigger IP/domain blocks is down to the other end and how they configure their systems.
Blacklists monitor all sorts of things, potential spammers (WAN IP), configuration/certificate issues with SMTP et al.
If you get any flagged up follow the links to the individual blacklists to see what they track.

When there is a spate of DDoS attacks they tend to turn the sensitivity up, so you might see those Cloudflare alerts on websites asking you to prove you are a human.

I've had issues with grey/blacklisted WAN IP addresses as I rely on Three as my ISP who use CGNAT, putting a multitude of users behind one IPv4 address, and they seem very reluctant to get them removed from the blacklists.
My WAN IP's haven't been fully clean in a long time, the best I hope for is single digits for the number of blacklists they appear on.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carrier-grade_NAT

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » October 25th, 2019, 9:37 am

Also see here https://www.lemonfool.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=18926 where TSO were specifically mentioned in relation to being blocked by Microsoft. It may be TSO have upped their game in response, hence your issues.

wickham
Lemon Slice

Postby wickham » October 25th, 2019, 10:17 am

Well, it's not likely to happen with my current IP which has been white-listed, but I suppose I could be unlucky in future with a different IP.

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » October 25th, 2019, 10:29 am

I had a problem with "disk full" messages for one of my sites with TSO Host, which they resolved by moving it to another server. Then I had the problem you describe, of being unable to FTP the other site. After an online chat with "Nick", he whitelisted me and all was well.

It seems to be associated with the move to a new server. Only FTP access has been the problem in both cases.

TJH

wickham
Lemon Slice

Postby wickham » October 25th, 2019, 10:54 am

My IP is very different today starting with the usual 109 but when I had the timeout ftp problem it started with 86 which was what TSO host used to white-list me. I haven't disconnected my router, so why has the IP changed, unless there was a power cut overnight?

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » October 25th, 2019, 11:01 am

wickham wrote:My IP is very different today starting with the usual 109 but when I had the timeout ftp problem it started with 86 which was what TSO host used to white-list me. I haven't disconnected my router, so why has the IP changed, unless there was a power cut overnight?

You are at the mercy of your ISP.
You can get fixed WAN IP, sometimes for no additional cost, mostly as a paid for extra.

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » October 25th, 2019, 11:25 am

You might be able to use DDNS to map dynamic WAN IP addresses to your FTP, you'd need to find out from TSO how they'd handle/allow that as they might consider it a security risk (bearing in mind their recent blocking issues as per upthread).

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » October 25th, 2019, 1:10 pm

tjh290633 wrote:I had a problem with "disk full" messages for one of my sites with TSO Host, which they resolved by moving it to another server.

As a matter of interest, when was that, TJH?

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » October 25th, 2019, 2:41 pm

mc2fool wrote:
tjh290633 wrote:I had a problem with "disk full" messages for one of my sites with TSO Host, which they resolved by moving it to another server.

8th August. The second problem was discovered on 14th October.

TJH

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » October 25th, 2019, 2:57 pm

tjh290633 wrote:
mc2fool wrote:

Ah, ok. Just wondering 'cos I was also regularly getting FTP 552 disk full errors with my sites on TSO host last December through to January. Not continuously, but I'd get it and report it to them and then it'd be ok for a few days, even a couple of weeks, but then recur.

They kept trying to get me to shift to another server but I didn't want the faff and downtime, and then the problem stopped and I haven't had the issue since January, so I figured they'd shifted some other users off the server, and was just wondering if that included you, but it seems not.... :D

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » October 25th, 2019, 3:09 pm

mc2fool wrote:
tjh290633 wrote:
mc2fool wrote:As a matter of interest, when was that, TJH?

Ah, ok. Just wondering 'cos I was also regularly getting FTP 552 disk full errors with my sites on TSO host last December through to January. Not continuously, but I'd get it and report it to them and then it'd be ok for a few days, even a couple of weeks, but then recur.

They kept trying to get me to shift to another server but I didn't want the faff and downtime, and then the problem stopped and I haven't had the issue since January, so I figured they'd shifted some other users off the server, and was just wondering if that included you, but it seems not.... :D

I did not experience the problem until some time in July. A cruise prevented me from getting it sorted out until I got back home. The second was associated with a move to another server. I had previously been with Freezone, taken over by TSOhost. This seemed to have been associated with the problems.

TJH

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”