Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Ipad2 replacement

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
Garless
2 Lemon pips

Ipad2 replacement

Postby Garless » November 4th, 2019, 6:37 pm

My apps are becoming unsupported but I still have an iPhone 5s so any thoughts on an iPad, my thoughts are towards a mini as I do not need support for a latest pencil and do not use photo apps. I don't want to go Android as I avoid Google as much as I can.

Steveam
Lemon Slice

Re: Ipad2 replacement

Postby Steveam » November 4th, 2019, 6:51 pm

I’ve recently replaced an old iPad with an iPad Air - my aim was essentially to replace what I had with as much future proofing as possible. The iPad Air is slightly larger than the ordinary iPad but has the latest chip (hopeful future proofing). Like you, I don’t need an Apple pencil so I’ve not bothered to buy one.

I think I might find a mini just a little small but horses for courses.

Everything transferred across very easily in typical Apple fashion.

Best wishes,

Steve

Julian
Lemon Quarter

Postby Julian » November 5th, 2019, 11:40 am

I agree with Steve. Personally I'd be looking at either the iPad Mini (base price £399) or the iPad Air (base price £479 = £80 more) and I'd be leaning towards the Air. The regular low cost iPad starts from £349 but it's older technology than either the Mini or the Air and it's heavier than the Air; I find that with my tablet even a few 10s of grams off the weight makes a difference in how it feels in the hand.

The iPad Pro is a big step up in price (base price £769) and if you don't need anything fancy then probably not worth paying the premium for a very slightly bigger screen. Personally I would however pay the £80 premium for the Air vs the Mini (+£80 is comparing the price of the base models only) to get the noticeably bigger screen (10.2" vs 7.9"). Also, coming from an older iPad I suspect that you will be pleasantly surprised how much lighter even the Air feels vs your old device so, and this is just my personal hunch, I don't think you'd need to go for the Mini to get a "wow, this is more convenient than my older device" experience, you'd still get that to some extent with an Air without compromising screen size.

On future-proofing the Mini has had a refresh now so both the latest mini and the Air use the A12 chip so probably no real difference there.

- Julian

GrahamPlatt
Lemon Quarter

Postby GrahamPlatt » November 9th, 2019, 11:22 am

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”