Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to gvonge,Shelford,GrahamPlatt,gpadsa,Steffers0, for Donating to support the site

Update from the other place...

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
Changeable
2 Lemon pips

Update from the other place...

Postby Changeable » November 8th, 2016, 7:26 am

I had a problem with my excellent Google Nexus 7 tablet. The touch screen worked only intermittently and finally ceased to work at all.
Not having any feedback from HWTBC board, I googled to discover that I wasn't the only one with this particular problem...

Essentially, the advice was to remove the back (something I was loath to do because I don't have the right tools) and try resetting the the cable clip for the screen. This worked a treat and problem solved.

So if anybody else has a similar problem with their tablet in the future, you know what to do!

Regards,

Changeable
PS I do like the editing facility on Lemon Fool, a big improvement!

Gaggsy
Lemon Slice

Re: Update from the other place...

Postby Gaggsy » November 8th, 2016, 1:55 pm

I have the same tablet. My Nexus 7 sometimes stops rotating correctly after using certain apps. Particularly Words with Friends and Fitbit. They are both 'portrait' only screens and when I go back to a 'landscape' only app it's upside down and won't rotate (a pain because the tablet is in a case and is now awkward to hold). I've downloaded an app called Check My Android which indicates that the sensors are 0% responsive. The only solution so far is to reboot which seems to switch them on again.

Would your solution fix this?

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » November 8th, 2016, 2:43 pm

Changeable wrote:Essentially, the advice was to remove the back (something I was loath to do because I don't have the right tools) and try resetting the the cable clip for the screen. This worked a treat and problem solved.

This is quite a common problem with phones too.
Even if you baby your gadgets the little bumps and shocks can loosen the internal connectors.
If you ever get the stripey screen effect it will almost certainly be the screen connector.

It's worth having a few little tools like guitar plectrums or 'spudgers' around for these events. Ifixit ( https://www.ifixit.com/) do many tear downs for phones/tablets/ pc's et al and also sell some nifty little toolkits.

Unless the gadget is under warranty it is almost always worth having a look at yourself as you'd be amazed how many of these simple little fixes can be achieved in around ten minutes. The exception is some of the high end stuff like Ultrabooks / MS Surface Pro tablets / Apple stuff, which uses a lot of glue and custom screws and bolts and is put together in a deliberately complicated way.

Ifixit give ratings for serviceability, much of the modern ultra slim stuff scores very low because of soldered RAM, SSD etc. Always worth researching this aspect before buying the latest shiny new thing.

Changeable
2 Lemon pips

Postby Changeable » November 8th, 2016, 2:55 pm

Gaggsy

Here is a link to You Tube with one fix of many for screen rotation problems.

Hope this helps!

Changeable

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mG6MQU3jTVI

Changeable
2 Lemon pips

Postby Changeable » November 8th, 2016, 3:01 pm

Infrasonic

Thanks for the link, I've saved it!

Changeable

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”