Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Dead Telly?

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Dead Telly?

Postby bungeejumper » November 9th, 2019, 1:20 pm

It's looking as though the tuner on our 11 year old Sony Bravia might be circling the drain, but I'll ask here before I chuck it out, because we're quite fond of it really.

If I connect the TV directly up to the aerial, it gets a poor picture on all channels - blocky, juddering and full of pops and crackles. Often it reports that the channel is unavailable, although it will often come back in a few minutes.

If I connect the same aerial to our DVD/VCR player and then route the coax signal onward to the TV, it gets a perfect reception from the DVD's own tuner. But as soon as I switch to the TV's own tuner the blocky stuff starts again.

The TV gets a perfect picture from our Roku stick (and, as mentioned, from the DVD/VCR player).

Both the TV and the DVD/VCR are identifying 134 channels (I have just updated the Mendip transmitter scan on both), but the DVD says the signal is "excellent" while the TV says it's just "good". No probs reported from the Mendip transmitter.

All cables have been checked and reseated, but sadly no change.

Ring any bells with anyone?

BJ
Last edited by bungeejumper on November 9th, 2019, 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Re: Dead Telly?

Postby Infrasonic » November 9th, 2019, 1:24 pm

Have you taken the back off it ever and blown all the dust out?
They can get pretty hot over the years as the fans slowly block and the componenets then start to degrade.

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » November 9th, 2019, 1:25 pm

No help to offer, but if you like the telly then why not just use the DVD player's tuner?

Scott.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » November 9th, 2019, 2:57 pm

Infrasonic wrote:Have you taken the back off it ever and blown all the dust out?
They can get pretty hot over the years as the fans slowly block and the componenets then start to degrade.

Give that man a round of applause! :D :D :D :D :D

Oh well, nothing to lose, I thought. I blew like hell around the main vents, and used a little canned air around the smaller vents lower down. Didn't take the back off the TV at all. And whaddaya know? It's working perfectly.

Enormous thanks, Infrasonic!

BJ

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » November 9th, 2019, 3:04 pm

bungeejumper wrote:
Infrasonic wrote:Have you taken the back off it ever and blown all the dust out?

Give that man a round of applause! :D :D :D :D :D

Oh well, nothing to lose, I thought. I blew like hell around the main vents, and used a little canned air around the smaller vents lower down. Didn't take the back off the TV at all. And whaddaya know? It's working perfectly.

Enormous thanks, Infrasonic!

BJ

Glad it worked out for you.
I suggested it as it was the first thing I recently did with a mates Panasonic Plasma which had a flashing lights error code, and a Google search suggested it was blocked fans. In that particular case it didn't work, and I couldn't see any obvious circuit board or component faults.
The service manual was a beast, so I never got as far as continuity testing it, my mate bought a new 4K telly instead... :)

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » November 10th, 2019, 9:17 am

Just to add as an FYI, many cities now have community DIY repair clinics set up with technically savvy helpers (with decent tools). They won't repair stuff for you, but will offer guidance as to how to do fault finding tests and repairs. As well as electricals they cover bikes, clothing et al.

There's at least two I know of in my immediate neck of the woods, generally running once or bi-monthly on a Saturday.

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”