Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Unable to delete outlook.com emails on iPad

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
Jonetc15
Lemon Slice

Unable to delete outlook.com emails on iPad

Postby Jonetc15 » November 18th, 2019, 9:02 pm

My email is zzzz@outlook.com. I access this primarily through my iPad, but also on my iPhone and my p.c. (Windows 7).

A couple of months ago using my iPad I emailed a friend who replied from a Yahoo email address. I deleted the two emails/thread, but some time later found that they were in my outlook.com ‘junk’ (spam) folder rather than my ‘bin’ (deleted) folder. When I tried to delete the emails they simply reappeared in the junk folder. I cannot get rid of them. (I find that quite often I cannot immediately delete other emails, but after a couple of days they disappear. But the original thread is still there.)

I’ve emptied both my ‘junk’ and ‘bin’ folders in case it is a space problem. The emails do not appear on my iPhone nor my p.c. So it seems to be a problem that is only apparent on my iPad. Naturally I wonder whether there is some bug in my iPad and what to do about it.

All suggestions will be very gratefully received.

Jon

xeny
Lemon Slice

Re: Unable to delete outlook.com emails on iPad

Postby xeny » November 18th, 2019, 9:56 pm

If you're not already using it, can you try the outlook app for IOS rather than the built in mail app?

https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/microsoft ... d951937596

kyu66
2 Lemon pips

Postby kyu66 » November 19th, 2019, 10:03 am

Jonetc15 wrote:...I deleted the two emails/thread, but some time later found that they were in my outlook.com ‘junk’ (spam) folder rather than my ‘bin’ (deleted) folder. When I tried to delete the emails they simply reappeared in the junk folder.
Jon

It could be that your Outlook settings on the iPad are to move deleted items to 'Junk' rather than 'Trash' although if this were the case it would happen for all emails you receive to that account. Have you seen this behaviour for other emails addressed to your outlook account?

To verify what your settings are for email deletion:

1. Launch the Settings app from your Home screen
2. Scroll down in the Settings menu until you see Accounts & Passwords.
3. Tap the account you would like to manage, i.e. Outlook
4. Tap the specific email account i.e zzzz@outlook.com
5 Tap Advanced
6 Check mailbox behaviours are as expected

HTH
kyu66

Jonetc15
Lemon Slice

Postby Jonetc15 » November 20th, 2019, 7:26 pm

kyu66 wrote:
Jonetc15 wrote:...I deleted the two emails/thread, but some time later found that they were in my outlook.com ‘junk’ (spam) folder rather than my ‘bin’ (deleted) folder. When I tried to delete the emails they simply reappeared in the junk folder.
Jon

It could be that your Outlook settings on the iPad are to move deleted items to 'Junk' rather than 'Trash' although if this were the case it would happen for all emails you receive to that account. Have you seen this behaviour for other emails addressed to your outlook account?

To verify what your settings are for email deletion:

1. Launch the Settings app from your Home screen
2. Scroll down in the Settings menu until you see Accounts & Passwords.
3. Tap the account you would like to manage, i.e. Outlook
4. Tap the specific email account i.e zzzz@outlook.com
5 Tap Advanced
6 Check mailbox behaviours are as expected

HTH
kyu66

Very many thanks indeed, kyu66, for your detailed advice/instructions. Apologies for not replying sooner, but I’m not sure quite what to do when I get to ‘Advanced settings’. The menu starts: 'Use SSL' – marked green/on.

Then under ‘MOVE DISCARDED MESSAGES INTO’ the ‘Deleted Mailbox’ is ticked, the only other option being ‘Archive Mailbox’ which is blank/unticked.

Under the heading ‘Drafts’ the option ‘Store Drafts on Server’ is green/on
Lastly, under S/MIME the answers to ‘Sign’ and ‘Encrypt by Default' are both ‘No’.

I don’t seem to have any option regarding ‘discarded messages’ as they are set to go to the deleted mailbox. I wonder if I am missing something and whether you can kindly advise what else I can do about the message that I cannot delete at all.

Thanks again

Jon
P.S. I also have the problem of sent emails being recorded in duplicate in my ‘Sent folder’ and not being deleted for several days, which I asked about in an earlier thread on this board (viewtopic.php?f=39&t=19856).

Jonetc15
Lemon Slice

Postby Jonetc15 » November 20th, 2019, 7:33 pm

xeny wrote:If you're not already using it, can you try the outlook app for IOS rather than the built in mail app?

https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/microsoft ... d951937596

Thank you very much indeed xeny. I've looked at the interesting and useful link that you kindly provided, but I would prefer if possible to see whether I can first sort out the email(s) that I can't delete in case I simply keep them even if I use the IOS outlook app. I'm worried in case I have any virus/bug or whatever (being very amateurish when it comes to IT issues).

I really appreciate your help.

Jon

kyu66
2 Lemon pips

Postby kyu66 » November 20th, 2019, 8:01 pm

Jonetc15 wrote:Very many thanks indeed, kyu66, for your detailed advice/instructions. Apologies for not replying sooner, but I’m not sure quite what to do when I get to ‘Advanced settings’. The menu starts: 'Use SSL' – marked green/on.

Having checked my email settings on an iPhone, it seems that the 'Advanced Settings' screen may be different depending on the email service you use, e.g. Yahoo and Gmail are slightly different but they both have a section headed 'Mailbox Behaviours'. If you do not see these it may be you are using POP3 rather than IMAP mail protocol so not really any help I'm afraid.

Jonetc15 wrote:Then under ‘MOVE DISCARDED MESSAGES INTO’ the ‘Deleted Mailbox’ is ticked, the only other option being ‘Archive Mailbox’ which is blank/unticked.

Under the heading ‘Drafts’ the option ‘Store Drafts on Server’ is green/on
Lastly, under S/MIME the answers to ‘Sign’ and ‘Encrypt by Default' are both ‘No’.

I don’t seem to have any option regarding ‘discarded messages’ as they are set to go to the deleted mailbox.

The above is ok.

Jonetc15 wrote:I also have the problem of sent emails being recorded in duplicate in my ‘Sent folder’ and not being deleted for several days, which I asked about in an earlier thread on this board (viewtopic.php?f=39&t=19856).

It sounds very much like a related issue with the app being out of sync with the server, but I am not sure of a way to fix it; I am not familiar with Outlook.

As xeny said, it may be worth installing the Outlook app and see how it behaves, it is a bit of a pain using multiple apps but it may be the best solution.

As for having a virus/bug, I wouldn''t worry, it is extremely unlikely. As I said above, it is most probably a sync/compatibility issue between the app and the email service provider's email servers. Hence the advice to try their associated app, it may just work better for that particular email account.

HTH
kyu66

Jonetc15
Lemon Slice

Postby Jonetc15 » November 21st, 2019, 5:11 pm

kyu66 wrote:...As xeny said, it may be worth installing the Outlook app and see how it behaves, it is a bit of a pain using multiple apps but it may be the best solution.

As for having a virus/bug, I wouldn''t worry, it is extremely unlikely. As I said above, it is most probably a sync/compatibility issue between the app and the email service provider's email servers. Hence the advice to try their associated app, it may just work better for that particular email account.

HTH
kyu66

I'm really grateful, kyu66, for your time and trouble in replying in detail. Very many thanks indeed especially for the reassurance that it is most probably a sync/compatibility issue. This is immensely reassuring.

Meanwhile I'll try to install the Outlook app, as suggested by xeny - although I may return to ask for help...

All the very best

Jon

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”