Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

uploading photos from smartphone to PC

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
jackdaww
Lemon Quarter

uploading photos from smartphone to PC

Postby jackdaww » January 27th, 2020, 7:38 am

we need to upload a photo of a driving licence from a smartphone onto a PC file .

i have done this in the past but cant remember how .

can anyone advise on a simple method please ?

is there an APP that would do this?

thanks ..

:?:

Urbandreamer
Lemon Quarter

Re: uploading photos from smartphone to PC

Postby Urbandreamer » January 27th, 2020, 8:09 am

You don't say what type of smartphone!

I can't advise if it's an I'phone.

However many Android phones simply turn up just like a memory stick when you plug them into a computer.
If they don't then you may be offered a helpful notification telling you that the phone is simply charging and providing a shortcut to the USB settings to allow you to change how the phone interfaces with the computer. Failing that you need to go into settings and find it yourself. One of the options is PTP, to transfer photo's. Another is transfer files (which I use).

Once it apears in your list of devices you need to find the picture. Not always easy. It's oftem in a directory called DCIM.

As has been said, the easiest way is probably to email it to yourself.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » January 27th, 2020, 8:31 am

Urbandreamer wrote:Another is transfer files (which I use).

Once it apears in your list of devices you need to find the picture. Not always easy. It's oftem in a directory called DCIM.

That's still the clunky old-fashioned way that I do it, and it seems to be quick and simple.

Assuming that you've got an Android phone (or something with USB sockets on it), you just cable it up to the PC and then go in through This PC in Windows Explorer. (You may get a pop-up which will accelerate the process). The only bit that's tricky after that is that you'll probably be asked to choose between internal storage and SD card, and your phone might use either (or both) for storing images. (My LG phone uses internal.)

Once you've found the DCIM folder you're home and dry.

BJ

Nocton
Lemon Slice

Postby Nocton » January 27th, 2020, 8:35 am

Otherwise if you set your camera to sync with Google Photos then if you log into Google Photos on your PC, it will be showing.

jackdaww
Lemon Quarter

Postby jackdaww » January 27th, 2020, 9:06 am

Urbandreamer wrote:You don't say what type of smartphone!

I can't advise if it's an I'phone.

However many Android phones simply turn up just like a memory stick when you plug them into a computer.
If they don't then you may be offered a helpful notification telling you that the phone is simply charging and providing a shortcut to the USB settings to allow you to change how the phone interfaces with the computer. Failing that you need to go into settings and find it yourself. One of the options is PTP, to transfer photo's. Another is transfer files (which I use).

As has been said, the easiest way is probably to email it to yourself.

=============================

sorry , yes its a samsung android !

ive used dcim in the past , its not easy to find the photo you want , hence looking for a simpler way..

:oops:

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » January 27th, 2020, 9:11 am

jackdaww wrote:ive used dcim in the past , its not easy to find the photo you want , hence looking for a simpler way..

Shurely all you need to do from Windows Explorer is to click View at the top of the page and then specify large sized icons?

BJ

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » January 27th, 2020, 10:40 am

There is an Android app called YourPhone and an accessory on Windows 10 called the same. Link your phone with your PC and you can view pictures and other items on your PC.

TJH

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » January 27th, 2020, 4:53 pm

Nocton wrote:Otherwise if you set your camera to sync with Google Photos then if you log into Google Photos on your PC, it will be showing.

This is by far the easiest way, particularly as you will likely already have Google photos installed on the phone and automatically syncing (and if not then a couple of clicks installs it).

Then just Google for Google photos (it may ask you to sign in with your Google account), and Bob's your uncle, all your photos. Select the one you want and in the top right is a (hidden) option to download it.

GeoffF100
Lemon Quarter

Postby GeoffF100 » January 28th, 2020, 10:46 am

With my old Moto X Play just plugging into a USB socket did not work on Windows. It was necessary to download loads of Lenevo bloatware. On Linux, no problem. It is necessary to drag down the the notification form the top of the screen (it does not appear by itself) and tap "USB for charging" and select file transfer. It is easy after that.

pochisoldi
Lemon Slice

Postby pochisoldi » January 28th, 2020, 10:58 am

Android file transfer hint:
The step list is:
1) Connect your phone to the computer USB port (obviously)
2) Unlock your phone (not so obvious)

If you only do 1, the phone will charge, but you won't be able to access anything from the computer.

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”