Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Anonymous,bruncher,niord,gvonge,Shelford, for Donating to support the site

Your yahoo account settings are out of date

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
doone100

Your yahoo account settings are out of date

Postby doone100 » November 8th, 2016, 1:08 pm

Hi all, I have a windows 10 phone and every week I get the above message and have to re-enter my yahoo password. DAK how I can get rid of this problem?

TIA
Doone

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Re: Your yahoo account settings are out of date

Postby Infrasonic » November 8th, 2016, 3:01 pm

How are you trying to access Yahoo, via the phone's browser or something like Outlook email client?

I'd seriously consider moving on from Yahoo in the long term, not only has it been in the news for all the wrong reasons lately regarding security, but I can confidently say that when I was a user it caused more issues than all the other services I use put together, just the flakiest service going.

You could keep the Yahoo address and 'alias' it from something like Outlook.com (you actually set the alias addresses up from your Microsoft account page).
https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/hel ... ge-aliases

As you have a W10 phone it should integrate pretty well with the Outlook.com infrastructure.
I use a W10 PC and Android phone this way and have had no issues.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » November 8th, 2016, 3:11 pm

Infrasonic wrote:I'd seriously consider moving on from Yahoo in the long term, not only has it been in the news for all the wrong reasons lately regarding security, but I can confidently say that when I was a user it caused more issues than all the other services I use put together, just the flakiest service going.

Couldn't agree more. It's amazing to me that Yahoo is now a considerably worse product than it was 10 years ago. It takes a special category of stupid to achieve that.

In particular their email is now horrendous to use, with all the dynamic video ads loading. Sadly I am vested in that for historical reasons. It also keeps stopping me logging on if I use an IP address I haven't used before, for my "security".

I still use Yahoo Finance but the new version of that is far worse than the old one, which fortunately is still available, but for how long?

Someone should really put the poor sad thing out of its misery.

Rant over. Sorry.

seekingbalance
2 Lemon pips

Postby seekingbalance » November 8th, 2016, 3:39 pm

It is an interesting conundrum - how do you choose the best email domain, when you really have no idea whether the company you choose is going to exist in the future, or whether you are going to retain the other services you bought in the first instance, but the email address came with it.

Just look to the past - AOL, pretty much gone. Hotmail is no longer what it was.

Talk Talk somewhat imploded, but I know people who stuck with them because of their email address. Same for transient suppliers you choose just because they were cheap at the time - Post Office email address anyone?

Yahoo, as said above is a basket case - and unfortunately they supply the email for BT under the btinternet.com domain so I'm stuck with them for now.

For now the best option for a widely available service is probably Google, but who knows?

All that is left is to get your own domain name.

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » November 8th, 2016, 4:47 pm

doone100 wrote:Hi all, I have a windows 10 phone and every week I get the above message...

Windows 10 is designed to work the same across all platforms from desktops to phones. This solution should apply...
Solved Windows 10 Mail App : Your Yahoo account settings are out of date

quelquod
Lemon Quarter

Postby quelquod » November 8th, 2016, 4:59 pm

seekingbalance wrote:all that is left is to get your own domain.

Yes I agree, I set up my own domain quite a few years ago. Of course this isn't guaranteed to be entirely trouble-free either as you need to host it somewhere, and hosting companies go up and down the ratings too as their offerings flux. Changing hosting companies is relatively straightforwards of course but from experience there can be hiccups including emails bouncing during the changeover and dns propagation.

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » November 8th, 2016, 5:14 pm

seekingbalance wrote:Just look to the past - AOL, pretty much gone. Hotmail is no longer what it was.

For now the best option for a widely available service is probably Google, but who knows?

All that is left is to get your own domain name.

Hotmail is miles better now as Outlook.com, I really don't get some of the misty eyed nostalgia for the way it used to be. I've had a Hotmail address since 1998 and have generally taken the upgrades as they became available rather than when I am forced to. My main aggregator now and I use Gmail as my POP3/IMAP mirror for it, as well as having my own domain addresses.

doone100

Postby doone100 » November 9th, 2016, 11:06 am

Thanks all,
I'll try the Alias thingy later

Doone

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”