Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

accessing control centre on iPad

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
forgotusername
Lemon Pip

accessing control centre on iPad

Postby forgotusername » March 27th, 2020, 11:26 am

Does anyone else have trouble accessing control centre on their iPad? I've got a new one and have just updated to the latest version of IOS 13.4 but that didn't fix it. I should be able to swipe down from the top rh side of the home screen to display a series of controls, I want screen mirroring. It occasionally worked fine but it more often than not displayed a search bar and some app icons. I tried shutting down and restarting. That seemed to fix it but the next time I tried it I got the search bar again. All the internet tips failed to resolve the problem.

Then I tried it on an older iPad and it worked fine the first time but on the second attempt, same problem. I varied the speed of swipe and found slow er brought up the search bar, faster brought up control centre. I tried on my new iPad and found it worked the same way although it's not infallible and seems a bit picky.

I hope this may help someone else here and if anyone can provide more info, I'd be interested to know.

madhatter
Lemon Slice

Re: accessing control centre on iPad

Postby madhatter » March 27th, 2020, 10:27 pm

I have an oldish iPad with 13.4, but can’t reproduce what you report. As long as I drag from the top right inch of the screen it works. Too far from the corner I get the notification screen, a little below the corner, on the right hand edge I get the search box, but it seems almost impossible to get the search box unless swiping from the side and down, unless I start from lower than about half an inch from the corner.

Probably not a lot of help.

Hypster
Lemon Slice

Postby Hypster » March 28th, 2020, 9:57 am

From what you describe it sounds like you might be ever-so-slightly making contact with the screen before swiping down. Touching the screen and swiping down brings up the search function. I suggest beginning the gesture by having your finger physically of the edge of the device - as though you are using the edge of the iPad to scrape something off your finger, then keeping going down. In that way, your finger is already swiping down by the time it meets the receptive part of the screen, which will rightly be interpreted as a swipe down rather than a touch-then-swipe.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » March 28th, 2020, 10:09 am

I also have a new Ipad and the action described by Hypster works for me. Not that I am much the wiser because I do not know what mirror screening does anyway or for that matter the other controls which are revealed.

Dod

forgotusername
Lemon Pip

Postby forgotusername » March 28th, 2020, 11:28 am

I think the finger in contact before swiping is the problem. Having experimented a bit more I found speed of swipe not the critical factor after all and even though right on the edge of the screen I still managed to bring up the search bar some of the time. Thanks for all the feedback. I'm doing a family video conference later today using Zoom and will get to try out the latest technique.

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » March 28th, 2020, 12:02 pm

Dod101 wrote:... Not that I am much the wiser because I do not know what mirror screening does anyway ...

It is likely to depend on whether you have a 'smart' TV but Screen Mirroring is described below.

What is Screen Mirroring and how do I use it with my Samsung TV?

Screen mirroring allows you to view content from your mobile device on your TV screen. ...

https://www.samsung.com/uk/support/tv-audio-video/what-is-screen-mirroring-and-how-do-i-use-it-with-my-samsung-tv-and-samsung-mobile-device/

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » March 28th, 2020, 12:07 pm

Clever stuff. Thanks PD not that I am likely to use it.

Dod

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » March 28th, 2020, 12:11 pm

It really is clever and even this non-techie can use it!

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”