Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Yahoo and Adblocker

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Yahoo and Adblocker

Postby Bouleversee » March 31st, 2020, 3:50 pm

Yahoo has recently started adding things to the edge of the page so that I can't read the whole line of the message, because I have adblocker and they need ads to finance the system, and then butting in with a message inviting me to upgrade to something or other. What have other Yahoo users done to get over this problem? I think Breelander uses Yahoo and was presumably getting the same treatment but will have sorted it by now. I apologise in advance if we have been down this road before; my memory is terrible.

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Re: Yahoo and Adblocker

Postby Breelander » March 31st, 2020, 6:12 pm

Bouleversee wrote:Yahoo has recently started adding things to the edge of the page so that I can't read the whole line of the message...
...What have other Yahoo users done to get over this problem? I think Breelander uses Yahoo and was presumably getting the same treatment but will have sorted it by now.

No, I don't have any problems with my Yahoo web mail. But then I don't use any ad blocker add-ons in my browsers. An ad blocker tries to remove the ad and rearrange the page to make better use of the space where the ad would have been. It may be this process of re-writing the page that is causing the problems.

I use a HOSTS table from http://winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.htm to block ads (and other unwanted 'nasties'). This leaves the page layout unaltered, just a blank space where an ad would have been, so I don't seem to be having any issues.

Redmires
Lemon Slice

Postby Redmires » March 31st, 2020, 6:55 pm

Another alternative is to use Thunderbird, which is part of the Mozilla Foundation (Firefox etc).

https://www.thunderbird.net/en-GB/features/

I use it for my four yahoo accounts after similar issues with the Yahoo website and haven't looked back.

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » March 31st, 2020, 8:51 pm

Thanks, both. I'll see what I can sort out tomorrow. It doesn't make any difference on here but on my emails it adds in a chunk of info I don't need about my account, no of times I have emailed someone, connected contacts or whatever, on the right side, presumably where an ad. would appear if I didn't have an adblocker.

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”