Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Why Linux?

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Re: Why Linux?

Postby Infrasonic » January 14th, 2020, 11:11 am

servodude wrote:
Infrasonic wrote:
how a servo differs from a motor.

<grabs popcorn and thinks this will be fun/>
-sd

:lol:

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » January 19th, 2020, 3:20 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkB-eRCzWIU&t=0s

Explaining Computers 19 Jan 2020

Linux terminal tutorial, aimed at those migrating from Windows, and users of single board computers including the Raspberry Pi. Covers a range of terminal commands and Linux concepts, including navigating and manipulating drives and directories using the commands pwd, ls, lsblk, cd, mkdir, rmdir, cp, and mv. Video also covers installing applications via the terminal, and a few tips and tricks!

cinelli
Lemon Slice

Postby cinelli » January 20th, 2020, 12:34 pm

I have watched a number of similar videos and, however much I think I know terminal commands, always learn something new. In this case it was "cd -" which takes you back to your previous directory. I didn't know about glmark2 either. In addition there is a useful comment by one Peter Jansen. If you add this fragment to the end of your ~/.bashrc file

man() {
LESS_TERMCAP_md=$'\e[01;31m' \
LESS_TERMCAP_me=$'\e[0m' \
LESS_TERMCAP_se=$'\e[0m' \
LESS_TERMCAP_so=$'\e[01;44;33m' \
LESS_TERMCAP_ue=$'\e[0m' \
LESS_TERMCAP_us=$'\e[01;32m' \
command man "$@"
}

it makes the output from the man command much easier to read by adding colours.

Cinelli

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » January 20th, 2020, 12:50 pm

^^ I've activated the Linux beta (Debian) on my Chromebook and am trying to do at least a few minutes every day of terminal based stuff just to get a basic working vocabulary committed to my (ageing) memory.
I'm getting there slowly but it's a bit like trying to learn a foreign language late in life, possible (but not necessarily easy).

GeoffF100
Lemon Quarter

Postby GeoffF100 » January 20th, 2020, 4:06 pm

I found the Explaining Computers terminal video worth while too. I do not usually use more than a few commands, so it is helpful to be reminded about the basics that I have not used recently, if at all.

If you like videos, here is a series that I found helpful:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYwr0HMudRg

Here is a written tutorial that I found helpful:

https://ryanstutorials.net/linuxtutorial/

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » January 22nd, 2020, 11:47 pm

https://www.zdnet.com/article/wine-for- ... g-upgrade/
Linux-Windows compatibility layer Wine 5.0 is now out, with over 7,000 updates.

vrdiver
Lemon Quarter

Postby vrdiver » January 29th, 2020, 9:10 am

I have a chromebook which has reached end-of-life for chrome OS support (no more updates). I'd like to use it as a remote machine (accessed from a windows PC) and was thinking this might be a perfect candidate for a Linux conversion, but could really do with a recommendation as to which version of Linux might be appropriate:

- I'm new to Linux (brand new!)
- I want to be able to remote access the machine
- the hardware is old / low spec (Acer C720)

Suggestions welcome, preferably with reasons why...

Many thanks in advance
VRD

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » January 29th, 2020, 9:16 am

vrdiver wrote:I have a chromebook which has reached end-of-life for chrome OS support (no more updates). I'd like to use it as a remote machine (accessed from a windows PC) and was thinking this might be a perfect candidate for a Linux conversion, but could really do with a recommendation as to which version of Linux might be appropriate:

What is it you actually want to do with/on it? i.e. remote access to what?

EDIT: Or do you really mean remote access from it to your Windows PC?

Scott.

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » January 29th, 2020, 10:26 am

vrdiver wrote:I have a chromebook which has reached end-of-life for chrome OS support (no more updates). I'd like to use it as a remote machine (accessed from a windows PC) and was thinking this might be a perfect candidate for a Linux conversion, but could really do with a recommendation as to which version of Linux might be appropriate:

- I'm new to Linux (brand new!)
- I want to be able to remote access the machine
- the hardware is old / low spec (Acer C720)

Suggestions welcome, preferably with reasons why...

Many thanks in advance
VRD

I'd suggest you read up on the basics of Linux first (maybe start with this entire thread and then follow links to other topics) to get a feel for how it works. Whilst you can use GUI apps with Linux having some basic terminal skills (command line) is going to be pretty much essential at some point or other.
If you're a non techie then there will be a significant learning curve.
Not trying to put you off just being realistic from my own experiences (having been an exclusive Windows user until relatively recently).

Options.
You might be able to install the Chromium OS (free open source version) using cloudready...https://github.com/DennisLfromGA/CBC-Pr ... n-Dev-mode)

https://www.neverware.com/#intro

If you want to go down the actual Linux install route then a 'lite' version will probably be best like Lubuntu, which will put less strain on the modest hardware specs.

Have you Googled around your specific Chromebook model number to see what the Linux options are yet? It varies a bit.
In Dev mode you should be able to install it without too much hassle (my opening caveats notwithstanding). Whether Linux works as expected is going to be more unpredictable. Again you need to research your specific Chromebook to see what issues there are with various Linux distros.

I'm running Debian Linux on my Lenovo S340-14 Chromebook (4GB RAM 64GB eMMC storage) within a container (a low resource/memory quasi virtual machine) that's a built in Chrome OS beta offering currently. It also runs Android apps in a similar fashion. So I can run Chrome OS/Linux/Android all in parallel.
It (mostly) all works but is a bit clunky, it certainly isn't polished in the same way that a MAC or Windows OS PC is.

vrdiver
Lemon Quarter

Postby vrdiver » January 29th, 2020, 10:43 am

swill453 wrote:

Scott.

Sorry, I should have been clearer re requirements. I want to access the chromebook FROM my windows 10 pc, and once there, access a number of different web pages, some of which will require input, rather than just reading. The machine will also be hooked up to a couple of sensors (temperature, humidity) which, again, will have a small amount of data that I'd like access to. I can currently do this with the chrome OS, but as support has ended for this machine it seems like an opportunity to try out a Linux platform.

Oh, I'd like to use something other than chrome, as the chrome remote desktop needs somebody at the other end to OK the connection, which isn't an option...

VRD

(edited to add last comment)

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » January 29th, 2020, 12:24 pm

vrdiver wrote:
swill453 wrote:

Scott.

Sorry, I should have been clearer re requirements. I want to access the chromebook FROM my windows 10 pc, and once there, access a number of different web pages, some of which will require input, rather than just reading. The machine will also be hooked up to a couple of sensors (temperature, humidity) which, again, will have a small amount of data that I'd like access to. I can currently do this with the chrome OS, but as support has ended for this machine it seems like an opportunity to try out a Linux platform.

Oh, I'd like to use something other than chrome, as the chrome remote desktop needs somebody at the other end to OK the connection, which isn't an option...

VRD

(edited to add last comment)

I'm really surprised that Chrome Remote Desktop doesn't work
It's my preferred (since TeamViewer got all antsy about running server software being "commercial" use) way of accessing remote PCs (running the client on Win 10) headlessly.

I'm accessing then using me Google account and a Pin on the Brave browser; the only gotcha I can recall being that HTML5 needs to be enabled.

There are oodles of options and possibly you might be able to find the magic tick box that lets you get to your ChromeBook?

-sd

vrdiver
Lemon Quarter

Postby vrdiver » January 29th, 2020, 2:15 pm

servodude wrote:I'm really surprised that Chrome Remote Desktop doesn't work
It's my preferred (since TeamViewer got all antsy about running server software being "commercial" use) way of accessing remote PCs (running the client on Win 10) headlessly.

I'm accessing then using me Google account and a Pin on the Brave browser; the only gotcha I can recall being that HTML5 needs to be enabled.

There are oodles of options and possibly you might be able to find the magic tick box that lets you get to your ChromeBook?

-sd

Thanks for the response. I just had a look at the Brave browser, but then realised you have it on a Windows environment, not on a chromebook? I thought it was the Brave browser that was giving you the PIN functionality, but then realised you were referring to the PIN capability of CRD when implemented on a Windows machine. That functionaity is explicitly not supported by Chrome OS (as far as I can tell from searching configuration on my chromebook and googling).

Currently I need somebody at the chromebook end of the connection to accept the remote login (give permission for the incoming request to be accepted). On a windows pc or Linux install, there is the option to use a PIN, but not for chrome-based remote computers, at least, not using CRD or TeamViewer).

Unless I've misunderstood your post, you are accessing windows based remote machines, not chrome OS based machines? It's accessing the chrome OS machine remotely (and unattended) that I am struggling with, hence the request for suggested versions of Linux that might suit my needs...

If I've missed a trick and there IS a way to do this with the existing chrome OS then I'd be happy to hear about it, but would still have some concern that the version of chrome OS on my Acer C720 is no longer being updated and will become more and more of a security risk whilst left connected to the internet...

VRD

vrdiver
Lemon Quarter

Postby vrdiver » January 29th, 2020, 2:39 pm

Infrasonic wrote:Options.
You might be able to install the Chromium OS (free open source version) using cloudready...https://github.com/DennisLfromGA/CBC-Pr ... n-Dev-mode)

https://www.neverware.com/#intro

If you want to go down the actual Linux install route then a 'lite' version will probably be best like Lubuntu, which will put less strain on the modest hardware specs.

Have you Googled around your specific Chromebook model number to see what the Linux options are yet? It varies a bit.
In Dev mode you should be able to install it without too much hassle (my opening caveats notwithstanding). Whether Linux works as expected is going to be more unpredictable. Again you need to research your specific Chromebook to see what issues there are with various Linux distros.

Thanks for that. It looks like I can get a basic Ubuntu install or a Bodhi Linux, which seems to be a lighter version, so I may well try that.

The neverwhere option looked interesting (I happen to have Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere novel on my desk at the moment, so that's today's coincidence spotted...) but whilst it addresses the ongoing OS updates issue, it doesn't get me past the unattended remote login problem, whereas the Linux path may well do so.

So, current plan is to try the conversion as per https://www.linux.com/tutorials/how-ins ... hromebook/ and see how it goes.

Any further comments welcomed.

VRD

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » January 29th, 2020, 2:58 pm

RE Brave browser.

There is an Android Chromium version that can run on Chromebooks if you have the Android capability (I have it installed and working along with the (Android) Firefox Preview browser on my CB).

But it doesn't have the full feature set of the desktop browser, so even if you could run it, it might not do what SD has got it set up to do (I don't know for sure because I have never tried to remote in to my CB).

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » January 29th, 2020, 8:49 pm

vrdiver wrote:
servodude wrote:I'm really surprised that Chrome Remote Desktop doesn't work

-sd

Thanks for the response. I just had a look at the Brave browser, but then realised you have it on a Windows environment, not on a chromebook? I thought it was the Brave browser that was giving you the PIN functionality, but then realised you were referring to the PIN capability of CRD when implemented on a Windows machine. That functionaity is explicitly not supported by Chrome OS (as far as I can tell from searching configuration on my chromebook and googling).

Currently I need somebody at the chromebook end of the connection to accept the remote login (give permission for the incoming request to be accepted). On a windows pc or Linux install, there is the option to use a PIN, but not for chrome-based remote computers, at least, not using CRD or TeamViewer).

Unless I've misunderstood your post, you are accessing windows based remote machines, not chrome OS based machines? It's accessing the chrome OS machine remotely (and unattended) that I am struggling with, hence the request for suggested versions of Linux that might suit my needs...

If I've missed a trick and there IS a way to do this with the existing chrome OS then I'd be happy to hear about it, but would still have some concern that the version of chrome OS on my Acer C720 is no longer being updated and will become more and more of a security risk whilst left connected to the internet...

VRD

You're correct that I've not tried with a ChromeOS machine, but I'm surprised that it can't be done given how it works on windows (essentially through being logged in to the Chrome browser)

Any clues in the following link:
https://www.laptopmag.com/amp/articles/ ... chromebook

-sd

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » January 29th, 2020, 11:20 pm

It might help if you give us the exact Chrome OS version you are currently on, as obviously things have moved on over the years wrt its capabilities.

For instance from the Laptop mag link from SD there was an article from 2018 about how to set up pin access on a CB by going into developer mode and selecting a flag option.
I'm pretty certain when I set up my CB in November '19 I set the six digit unlock pin at initial setup as I didn't want to use my Google account password. (I did the same on my W10 PC.) No dev mode or flags needed. (I have used dev/ flags for a few other under the hood tweaks).

I'll have a look at the remote desktop options on my CB over the next few days and see if I can do what you want to achieve (unattended access) from my W10 PC or Pixel 3a Android (10) phone. Of course it's always possible that I might be able to do it and you won't if your Chrome OS version is too old in which case Linux might be your only option, although it might be worth seeing if you could force a Chrome OS sideload to a more recent version if that is indeed the issue (or go the Neverware Chromium OS route)?

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » January 29th, 2020, 11:53 pm

vrdiver
Lemon Quarter

Postby vrdiver » January 30th, 2020, 8:09 am

servodude wrote:You're correct that I've not tried with a ChromeOS machine, but I'm surprised that it can't be done given how it works on windows (essentially through being logged in to the Chrome browser)

-sd

Thanks for that. The link talks about the setup, but assumes the remote machine is a Mac or PC, not a chromebook (i.e. the opposite way around cf what I need.) In the article you'll notice the PIN generation is for access to the Mac, using his chromebook.

From Google's webstore: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... ihenigjmpp
Using Chrome Remote Desktop you can share access to your computer with an individual you trust, who will then be able to view your computer screen and control your computer remotely, just as if they were sitting beside you helping in person. Sharing is fully secured, access is given only to the specific person you identify, and only on a one-time basis

I've found several forums (fora?) where people are asking when access into an unattended chromebook will be allowed, but no answers other than that the target machine must accept each request for remote access via human operator; e.g. this thread: https://community.spiceworks.com/topic/ ... te-support.

Looks like Linux is the solution...

VRD

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » January 30th, 2020, 8:30 am

vrdiver wrote:
servodude wrote:You're correct that I've not tried with a ChromeOS machine, but I'm surprised that it can't be done given how it works on windows (essentially through being logged in to the Chrome browser)

-sd

Thanks for that. The link talks about the setup, but assumes the remote machine is a Mac or PC, not a chromebook (i.e. the opposite way around cf what I need.) In the article you'll notice the PIN generation is for access to the Mac, using his chromebook.

From Google's webstore: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... ihenigjmpp
Using Chrome Remote Desktop you can share access to your computer with an individual you trust, who will then be able to view your computer screen and control your computer remotely, just as if they were sitting beside you helping in person. Sharing is fully secured, access is given only to the specific person you identify, and only on a one-time basis

I've found several forums (fora?) where people are asking when access into an unattended chromebook will be allowed, but no answers other than that the target machine must accept each request for remote access via human operator; e.g. this thread: https://community.spiceworks.com/topic/ ... te-support.

Looks like Linux is the solution...

VRD

That's disappointing; and it's put me off a Chromebook I was looking at.

-sd

vrdiver
Lemon Quarter

Postby vrdiver » January 30th, 2020, 9:16 am

Infrasonic wrote:It might help if you give us the exact Chrome OS version you are currently on, as obviously things have moved on over the years wrt its capabilities.

For instance from the Laptop mag link from SD there was an article from 2018 about how to set up pin access on a CB by going into developer mode and selecting a flag option.
I'm pretty certain when I set up my CB in November '19 I set the six digit unlock pin at initial setup as I didn't want to use my Google account password. (I did the same on my W10 PC.) No dev mode or flags needed. (I have used dev/ flags for a few other under the hood tweaks).

I'll have a look at the remote desktop options on my CB over the next few days and see if I can do what you want to achieve (unattended access) from my W10 PC or Pixel 3a Android (10) phone. Of course it's always possible that I might be able to do it and you won't if your Chrome OS version is too old in which case Linux might be your only option, although it might be worth seeing if you could force a Chrome OS sideload to a more recent version if that is indeed the issue (or go the Neverware Chromium OS route)?

My version of Chrome is 76.0.3809.136 (64bit)

I have PIN access for normal login enabled, but it's not related to the CRD PIN generated for remote login. When that is setup in CRD, it appears to be linked to a computer, not a userID as in the chrome login option.

If you get a chance to test out Remote desktopping into an unattended chromebook and have any success I'd be delighted. I'm not convinced I haven't overlooked something, but am running out of search words with which to feed google...

VRD

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”