Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

setting up a VOIP phone

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
newlyretired
2 Lemon pips

setting up a VOIP phone

Postby newlyretired » June 16th, 2020, 3:47 pm

I'm planning to replace my landline phone with a VOIP phone (using a 4G router). I have signed up with Sipgate, and I would appreciate any recommendations on which ATA adaptorto buy?

Also I have installed the Zoiper app on my iPhone and set up the connection to my Sipgate account - but so far I am unable to receive VOIP calls using the app - any suggestions as to what might be going wrong?

newlyretired

PhaseThree

Re: setting up a VOIP phone

Postby PhaseThree » June 16th, 2020, 4:05 pm

I use a Grandstream adapter to a set of DECT phones
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Grandstream-GS ... B01JH7MYKA

Sipgate have setup guides for these adapters :-
https://basichelp.sipgate.co.uk/hc/en-g ... T-Adapters

Been working well for that last couple of years with no issues.

Laughton
Lemon Slice

Postby Laughton » June 16th, 2020, 6:05 pm

I too have the Grandstream adaptor witha DECT phone - works well.

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » June 16th, 2020, 6:07 pm

newlyretired wrote:I'm planning to replace my landline phone with a VOIP phone

Why bother doing that and not just use a mobile phone (with WiFi calling if reception is poor)?

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » June 17th, 2020, 1:30 am

newlyretired wrote:I'm planning to replace my landline phone with a VOIP phone (using a 4G router). I have signed up with Sipgate, and I would appreciate any recommendations on which ATA adaptorto buy?

Also I have installed the Zoiper app on my iPhone and set up the connection to my Sipgate account - but so far I am unable to receive VOIP calls using the app - any suggestions as to what might be going wrong?

newlyretired

Zoiper does the job if (and only if) you're OK with it playing mind games to try and get you to upgrade to a paid version. One of those mind games it played on me was a spell of frequently losing its registration (so it would fail to take incoming calls) and making no attempt to reconnect. That meant frequently restarting it (zoiper) myself.

No idea if it's doing something like that to you. It will display a little tick or cross - top left of my android screen - to indicate whether it's successfully registered. It'll also log a message. Check those if you haven't already.

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » June 17th, 2020, 6:08 pm

ReallyVeryFoolish wrote:
AF62 wrote:
newlyretired wrote:I'm planning to replace my landline phone with a VOIP phone

Why bother doing that and not just use a mobile phone (with WiFi calling if reception is poor)?

Because if you have an internet connection you don't need a mobile phone if you use VOIP with your internet router. Perhaps?

And who doesn't have a mobile phone?

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » June 18th, 2020, 7:09 am

ReallyVeryFoolish wrote:
AF62 wrote:
ReallyVeryFoolish wrote:Because if you have an internet connection you don't need a mobile phone if you use VOIP with your internet router. Perhaps?

And who doesn't have a mobile phone?

There's three people in my close family who don't. Beyond that, I have no idea.

RVF

Yet I know of nobody that doesn’t have one, including friends and relatives in their 90’s.

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » June 18th, 2020, 11:15 am

One advantage of a SiP/VoIP solution is it stops your real numbers from being on too many databases, with the issues around privacy/leaks, ID theft et al.

I've been looking into that, virtual SMS numbers, virtual CC numbers for a while now.

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » June 18th, 2020, 4:42 pm

ReallyVeryFoolish wrote:
AF62 wrote:
ReallyVeryFoolish wrote:There's three people in my close family who don't. Beyond that, I have no idea.

RVF

Yet I know of nobody that doesn’t have one, including friends and relatives in their 90’s.

So, on a sample of two of us that's 1.5 people each.

RVF

Or 0.75 phones per person.

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » June 18th, 2020, 4:46 pm

Infrasonic wrote:I've been looking into that, virtual SMS numbers, virtual CC numbers for a while now.

One of the credit card companies I used a few years ago, I seem to recall Cahoot, used to offer virtual credit card numbers for online transactions. You generated an individual card number and could set a maximum card limit as the value of the transaction. It worked, sort of. The issue was there was more times it didn't than it did; retailers who put through a test £0.01p authentication and so used up the card number, refunds were a pain, etc.

Redmires
Lemon Slice

Postby Redmires » July 8th, 2020, 1:44 pm

PhaseThree wrote:I use a Grandstream adapter to a set of DECT phones
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Grandstream-GS ... B01JH7MYKA

Sipgate have setup guides for these adapters :-
https://basichelp.sipgate.co.uk/hc/en-g ... T-Adapters

Been working well for that last couple of years with no issues.

A big thanks for the advice. We live in a rural area with 2Mg broadband with no chance of fibre. Recently, we've signed up for a 20Mg connection via microwave link from a rural comms company for the same price as the landline + broadband package. Setting up the Grandstream was easy and the phone is working fine. I'm still in the process of porting the existing number which Openreach managed to screw up by having the wrong post code - no fault of Sipgate, who have been very helpful.

And on another posting ...

Because we have a Panasonic DECT phone with 4 handsets around the house. And because I don't want to carry a mobile phone everywhere I go ;)

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”