Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Shelford,GrahamPlatt,gpadsa,Steffers0,lansdown, for Donating to support the site

Chrome spell check

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
Clitheroekid
Lemon Quarter

Chrome spell check

Postby Clitheroekid » November 8th, 2016, 7:52 pm

I asked for a spell checker to be added in a post on Legal Issues, and it was kindly pointed out that Chrome (which I use) has one built in.

Sure enough, on checking I discovered it, and as it was for some reason switched off I switched it on.

This is very helpful, in that it now identifies typos with a wavy line under them, but I was wondering if there is any way of persuading Google to suggest alternatives, as happens in Word. I've ticked the "Ask Google for suggestions" option, but Google seems singularly reluctant to suggest any. How do I actually activate the suggestions?

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Re: Chrome spell check

Postby Breelander » November 8th, 2016, 8:35 pm

Clitheroekid wrote: ..it now identifies typos with a wavy line under them, but I was wondering if there is any way of persuading Google to suggest alternatives, as happens in Word.?

Yes, most browsers have the same feature (and turned on by default, I'm surprised to hear in Chrome it isn't). In all my other browsers a right-click on the wavy red line bring up a list of possible corrections - just click on the one you want. Oh, and you might find there's an autocorrect function too. If I type dont in IE the apostrophe (as in don't) gets inserted automatically (and my spelling of 'apostrophe' got automatically corrected for me as I wrote this).

pottager

Postby pottager » November 9th, 2016, 10:46 am

Clitheroekid wrote:This is very helpful, in that it now identifies typos with a wavy line under them, but I was wondering if there is any way of persuading Google to suggest alternatives, as happens in Word.

As breelander (or "slanderer" :)) says, just right-click on the word and you get a load of suggestions.

Clitheroekid
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clitheroekid » November 9th, 2016, 11:00 am

Thanks all, I've now got it working. I wish I'd known about this years ago when I first started using Chrome, it would have saved me a huge amount of time squinting at drafts, trying to identify typos. Still, better late than never.

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » November 9th, 2016, 12:04 pm

Clitheroekid wrote: I wish I'd known about this years ago when I first started using Chrome, it would have saved me a huge amount of time squinting at drafts, trying to identify typos.

I imagine in your profession many technical terms will be unrecognised and get the red wavy line. You also get an option to add them to your dictionary when you right-click on them.

brightncheerful
Lemon Quarter

Postby brightncheerful » November 9th, 2016, 5:58 pm

Breelander wrote: I imagine in your profession many technical terms will be unrecognised and get the red wavy line. You also get an option to add them to your dictionary when you right-click on them.

Also, I find it a good idea to add unusual names to the spellcheck to save having to check whether typed correctly.

On iMac, highlighting a word then right-click brings up a menu with look up in dictionary, search and other goodies, particularly Services, I've installed an a free app (WordService) that has added a host of useful things in Services, such as Reformat Case, Remove Line endings, Lowercase, All Caps, and so on.

CatcheeMonkee
Lemon Pip

Postby CatcheeMonkee » November 9th, 2016, 11:39 pm

I use Grammarly as a spell and grammar check. Worth a look.

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”