Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

IPAD Mini - headphones/mic use lightning or 3.5mm jack?

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
Clariman
Lemon Quarter

IPAD Mini - headphones/mic use lightning or 3.5mm jack?

Postby Clariman » September 25th, 2020, 7:21 am

I'm trying to understand the options for using a combination of headphones and mic on an iPad Mini and am confused by the roles of the standard jack and lightning connectors. I need a wired option because it is for music recording and bluetooth latency does not work.

I have been using an external mic which has its own headphones socket, but want to try out using a simple combined mic and headphones e.g. one of the simple ones used for phone calls (ear bud style) or combined headset/mic.

The iPad Mini has both a lightning and a 3.5mm jack. Can they both be used for these purposes or is the jack just for headphones (i.e. no mic)? If they can both be used, what are the pros and cons of each?

Thanks
Clariman

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Re: IPAD Mini - headphones/mic use lightning or 3.5mm jack?

Postby UncleEbenezer » September 25th, 2020, 9:02 am

Haven't used an ipad, but I can't imagine it being different to other devices. The regular jack will be just fine for your purposes. I use one regularly on devices ranging from (most usually) an android phone, through a macbook, to a Linux desktop.

If your purpose is to participate in some no-contact musical project (or other collective audio activity), the question you'll be wanting to investigate is what configuration gives you the best results and least encumbrance. My headset is not bad at cancelling extraneous noise, but I'm told the roar of the river comes through as something rather disconcerting if I use it while sitting on the balcony.

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » September 25th, 2020, 9:39 am

You can use the built in iPad mini microphone in conjunction with Garageband for free. Whether the audio quality will be good enough I don't know, try it and see. https://www.apple.com/uk/ios/garageband/

TRRS is the common format for combi 3.5mm jacks. Tip (audio out) Ring1(audio out) Ring 2 (ground) Sleeve (microphone in).

A combined headset mic won't have great mic quality and you might get hum issues with it depending on your environment (RFI et al).
But if quality isn't an issue then it will do and it's a simple solution to manage.

If you want decent quality you'll need a dedicated microphone.
A dynamic is fine for most stuff, for quiet sources some sort of powered mic is best. You can buy dedicated USB/Lightning options or buy a standard XLR microphone and go through an interface box, although obviously that is going to cost money.
https://www.soundonsound.com/sound-advi ... icrophones

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clariman » September 25th, 2020, 10:44 am

Thanks both. I have been using acapella to record multiple tracks with an external mic. I've recently started collaborating with others using the app and have noticed that my recording volume is less than another person who is using what looks like a fairly standard earbud style headset/mic.

So to summarise, I can use a combined headphone and mic that either has a lightning or jack connector. Is that right?

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » September 25th, 2020, 11:26 am

Clariman wrote:Thanks both. I have been using acapella to record multiple tracks with an external mic. I've recently started collaborating with others using the app and have noticed that my recording volume is less than another person who is using what looks like a fairly standard earbud style headset/mic.

Not familiar with the Accapella app. but I'd look to see if it has a 'normalise' software function to bring the level up to match, or maybe look at the record volume settings. Not much point in buying more kit to only find you have the same issue afterwards.

Clariman wrote:So to summarise, I can use a combined headphone and mic that either has a lightning or jack connector. Is that right?

Yes.

But for flexibility I'd get an adapter for the opposite of whatever you buy. So for a jacks headset get a lightning to jack socket adapter and for lightning get a lightning socket to jack plug adapter. Third party branded ones are cheap (avoid no name far east imports), no need to pay Apple an arm and a leg.

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”