Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Free THREE data SIM - 200MB per month

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Free THREE data SIM - 200MB per month

Postby Itsallaguess » December 13th, 2020, 8:35 am

Just a heads-up for anyone with a Mi-Fi device or a phone with a spare second SIM slot - THREE are again giving away FREE data-SIMs with 200MB per month data-allowance -

https://www.three.co.uk/Free_SIM_MBB/Order

Please note - these are data only, so not for use as phone-call SIMs.

They used to do these free offers years ago, and they're very handy for occasional mobile data-use, but they stopped the free SIMS for a few years recently.

Not sure how long this offer will be available, so I thought I'd post a heads-up here in case others might find one useful.

Note - these data-SIMs are also part of the Three 'Go Roam' package, and so can be used abroad too, which might be even more helpful than having 200MB per month to use in the UK -

http://www.three.co.uk/Support/Roaming_and_international/Roaming_Abroad/Destinations

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Re: Free THREE data SIM - 200MB per month

Postby mc2fool » December 13th, 2020, 10:01 am

But is it really free?

Next steps.
1. Insert SIM.

Once you know which SIM card size your device needs, pop out the correct one from your trio SIM and insert it into your device. It's that simple.
2. Register for free data.
To register for your free 200MB make sure you read the details on your SIM pack before throwing the packaging away.
3. Top-up.
It's easy to top-up on Three. Simply buy a voucher from any shop in the UK where you see the green top-up symbol, top-up online, or call 0333 300 0500 (standard rates apply).

http://www.three.co.uk/Free_SIM_MBB/Order_Confirmation

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » December 13th, 2020, 10:11 am

mc2fool wrote:
But is it really free?

Yes it is.

There's no need to top-up anything at all, and so long as the free data-sim is actively used at least once every six months, then 200MB of data-allowance will be refreshed every month for free...

I've used one for years, and have never used the top-up feature.

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

JonE
Lemon Slice

Postby JonE » December 13th, 2020, 12:01 pm

Itsallaguess wrote:...can be used abroad too, which might be even more helpful than having 200MB per month to use in the UK
Hmmm, yes - but it appears the SIM may be tied to the hardware used for registration with registration having to be over 3's UK network so overseas residents (with a UK correspondence address) hoping to 'get away with it' would probably tend to be excluded by the hassle involved.

By the way, why does the sign-up say they want an email address for 'a voucher'? Where does 'a voucher' come into it - or is that a hangover from an earlier version of the deal?

Cheers!

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » December 13th, 2020, 12:27 pm

JonE wrote:
Itsallaguess wrote:
...can be used abroad too, which might be even more helpful than having 200MB per month to use in the UK

Hmmm, yes - but it appears the SIM may be tied to the hardware used for registration with registration having to be over 3's UK network so overseas residents (with a UK correspondence address) hoping to 'get away with it' would probably tend to be excluded by the hassle involved.

By the way, why does the sign-up say they want an email address for 'a voucher'? Where does 'a voucher' come into it - or is that a hangover from an earlier version of the deal?

Hi Jon,

I've not used the free data-SIM abroad, so can't comment too much, but I simply took the 'Go Roam' side of things to perhaps be a benefit of 200MB free data-allowance when on holiday to any of the 'Go Roam' destinations.

I noticed the request for an email address too, but there's no 'voucher' involved - the 200MB data-SIM is posted to your home within three working days normally.

I've been using one for years as a spare to my normal data SIM-cards, and it's been useful to have had on enough occasions for me to acknowledge the real benefit of a 'Plan-B' data option, and especially one that's free...

I should note though, that I don't pay for a monthly package for my mobile, and am on PAYG for calls only, so these data-SIM's are my only real option for internet-access when 'on the road', other than any available wireless availability, so these types of offers might only be seen to be much of a benefit to those in a similar situation..

I usually have one of the THREE 24GB data-SIM's on the go, which last me the whole 24-month life of the SIM for a really low cost anyway (https://tinyurl.com/yyqcrzu6), but having this free back-up option has been useful many times in the past.

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » December 13th, 2020, 7:14 pm

Itsallaguess wrote:Please note - these are data only, so not for use as phone-call SIMs.

They used to say that with the previous free 200MB data sims, but it wasn’t true then.

Without topping up you could receive calls and make calls to 0800 numbers. If you topped up then you were charged 3p per min as effectively it used their 3/2/1 tariff but as that as now been discontinued then if you can make chargeable calls on this one then it may or may not be the same.

Just don’t transfer a valuable number with a PAC authorisation onto one of these sims to use for voice calls as you would have an awfully hard time getting it back off, as although it works inbound, outbound they will tell you they can’t do it as it is a data sim.

JohnB
Lemon Quarter

Postby JohnB » December 13th, 2020, 10:55 pm

AF62 wrote:If you topped up then you were charged 3p per min as effectively it used their 3/2/1 tariff but as that has now been discontinued then if you can make chargeable calls on this one then it may or may not be the same..

I've been on Three's 3-2-1 for a decade, and they never bothered to tell me it was going away. But after another hate session with their IT system I switched today to https://www.1pmobile.com/, which is a 1-1-1 offer on a restricted EE network. You need to top up £10 every 120 days, but I was spending £50 a year with three, and as the credit never expires, it will be slightly cheaper, and no more Three systems, hurrah!

I've ordered the data SIM to see what it will do on a single sim spare phone. As I mostly want the phone for mobile internet, we'll see if it works

Redmires
Lemon Slice

Postby Redmires » December 14th, 2020, 1:27 am

I've been a PAYG 3-2-1 user for years and I can still top up with 3p/2p/1p rates. Looks like existing customers can still get the cheaper rates but new PAYG customers will be charged 10p/10p/5p (calls/text/data). Ouch !

Ma1co1m

Postby Ma1co1m » December 18th, 2020, 6:04 pm

Heads-up for anyone wanting to put one in a mifi...

Just got one of these ( thank you itsallaguess ) to stick in my mifi, which I normally only use outside the EU. However, when I put it in and connected to the 3 network it appeared to work when connected my tablet but as there's no way to register it directly from a mifi I put the SIM in my phone and tried to register it but only got the message "sorry your current SIM isn't eligible" along with a link to go and buy a 1Gb one.
I assume that, as JonE said, the registration is tied to the device and that initial use in the mifi has triggered something but who knows. Anyway, unless someone can tell me I'm doing something wrong, that's it for mifi users I'm afraid

ma1co1m

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » December 18th, 2020, 6:10 pm

Ma1co1m wrote:
Heads-up for anyone wanting to put one in a mifi...

Just got one of these ( thank you itsallaguess ) to stick in my mifi, which I normally only use outside the EU. However, when I put it in and connected to the 3 network it appeared to work when connected my tablet but as there's no way to register it directly from a mifi I put the SIM in my phone and tried to register it but only got the message "sorry your current SIM isn't eligible" along with a link to go and buy a 1Gb one.

I assume that, as JonE said, the registration is tied to the device and that initial use in the mifi has triggered something but who knows. Anyway, unless someone can tell me I'm doing something wrong, that's it for mifi users I'm afraid.

You should be able to register it from the mifi device - mine came today and that's exactly what I did this morning.

Put the SIM in your mifi, and then you should still be able to connect to the mifi wireless channel as you normally would.

When you're connected to the mifi wireless channel, open a browser and head to the URL listed below, and you should be able to register the SIM -

three.co.uk/freedata

On the instructions you got with the SIM, they say you'll be sent an activation code to the email address you register with. That never happened with me, and it just started working fine after registering it...

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » December 18th, 2020, 8:07 pm

Ma1co1m wrote:Heads-up for anyone wanting to put one in a mifi...

I assume that, as JonE said, the registration is tied to the device and that initial use in the mifi has triggered something but who knows. Anyway, unless someone can tell me I'm doing something wrong, that's it for mifi users I'm afraid

ma1co1m

It may not apply in your case, but I got a Data Reward SIM (direct from Three) about 18 months ago for my MiFi, and could not get it registered, despite following the instructions to the letter. Contacted Three, they asked for the SIM number and told me it was a standard 3-2-1 SIM. So I ordered another one and had exactly the same problem. Finally succeeded with the third SIM.

--kiloran

Ma1co1m

Postby Ma1co1m » December 18th, 2020, 9:48 pm

D'oh!

Thanks Itsallaguess - I thought I needed a browser in the actual mifi somehow, not a browser *connected to* it.....

Obvious really for someone with a brain. Up and working now, many thanks

ma1co1m

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » December 19th, 2020, 6:05 am

Ma1co1m wrote:
Up and working now, many thanks

Great news - happy to help.

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

JonE
Lemon Slice

Postby JonE » December 19th, 2020, 4:04 pm

Redmires wrote:I've been a PAYG 3-2-1 user for years and I can still top up with 3p/2p/1p rates. Looks like existing customers can still get the cheaper rates but new PAYG customers will be charged 10p/10p/5p (calls/text/data). Ouch !

I live in EU but maintain a couple of UK mobile numbers (inc 3-2-1 PAYG) so I can be called from UK using inclusive minutes or at national PAYG rates. Amusingly, any users of the 'new' 3 PAYG tariff will find it cheaper to call my 'local' (rather than UK) number as I'm in a Band 1 country for 3's charging purposes and calls to landlines or mobiles here are still (just as for 3-2-1 tariff) charged at 3p per minute (or part thereof) according to their 09/10/2020 'New PAYG PriceGuide'!

Cheers!

eepee
Lemon Slice

Postby eepee » January 3rd, 2021, 9:06 am

Does anybody know if this free data SIM is still available?

Regards,
ep

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » January 3rd, 2021, 10:32 am

eepee wrote:
Does anybody know if this free data SIM is still available?

It certainly looks to still be available via the URL link in the opening post.

Here it is again in case you missed it -

https://www.three.co.uk/Free_SIM_MBB/Order

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

eepee
Lemon Slice

Postby eepee » January 3rd, 2021, 12:28 pm

Thanks for that - I have ordered one.

I went to the site because I wanted to check the PAYG prices after the shock discovery on the thread.
Would appear I am on the legacy system so stay at 3-2-1.

Then went to look for the SIM but the site is so 'splashy' I just didn't find it, if it is there and it never occurred to me to use the links on thread!

Regards,
ep

JohnB
Lemon Quarter

Postby JohnB » January 3rd, 2021, 12:53 pm

I got one, but couldn't enable it as the only SIM in an old phone. I don't know whether that's even possible. I am very happy with my main phone move to 1pmobile, cheaper, better coverage into the countryside, and finally a good website which clear billing.

eepee
Lemon Slice

Postby eepee » January 18th, 2021, 12:24 pm

Well as soon as the chip arrived I checked, and, as indicated in another thread (Linx) it wont work.

Then on the same day, I get a message from Three to talk about price increases. As you gather from my previous I did go to the site to get the reassurance that existing customers would stay on 3-2-1. Guess I will have to re-evaluate whether to stay with them when my credit is heading south which probably wont be for a few months.

And just to confirm that, like buses, 'technical' bad news comes in threes, within the same week, with four screens out of over 100 to go, I have lost my ability to complete Superplex online. Yep, it used Flash!

Regards to all,
ep

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » January 18th, 2021, 12:26 pm

eepee wrote:And just to confirm that, like buses, 'technical' bad news comes in threes, within the same week, with four screens out of over 100 to go, I have lost my ability to complete Superplex online. Yep, it used Flash!

Regards to all,
ep

https://www.howtogeek.com/707830/how-to ... nd-beyond/

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”