Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

DAB radio interference

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
XFool
The full Lemon

Re: DAB radio interference

Postby XFool » January 25th, 2021, 3:16 pm

AleisterCrowley wrote:From memory (no I wasn't alive at the time) it transmitted on about 40MHz (or 40 Megacycles as it would have been)
What radio did you use?

It did transmit on 40 MHz, that is too high for usual domestic receivers with SW band. But it also transmitted near(?) the amateur 15 m band on 20 MHz. I must have picked it up on that (or imagined I did). I remember I verified it by - very patiently for a small boy - timing its return. I remember it now as being ~80 minutes. But it is given as actually having an orbital period of 96.2 mins.

I remember with other people 'seeing' it go overhead at night. It appeared a bit unsteady and wobbly to me. Now, of course, we know it was far too small to be be seen with the naked eye! What we actually saw was it's much larger final stage booster rocket, tumbling in the upper atmosphere following behind and below it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sputnik_1

I don't know the make now (would be one of those old traditional names). I have tried to look it up in the past. The front of the wooden case tapered from the base up to a narrow rounded top. So from one side it had a rounded triangular shape.

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » January 25th, 2021, 7:19 pm

...Believe I've found it! An HMV 1122

http://www.radiomuseum.co.uk/HMV1113.html#anchor127294

I remember using that Record Player input.

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » January 25th, 2021, 7:32 pm

My grandparents had a Decca radiogram with short wave. I can remember playing with it, and I loved all the exotic names on the tuning scale
Hilversum, Allouis? Saar?...erm Droitwich

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » January 25th, 2021, 7:36 pm

Mind you, I notice from the service sheet that that HMV can't quite go down to 15 m on SW. So?... An overactive imagination?

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » January 25th, 2021, 11:40 pm

For the OP:

https://radioandtvhelp.co.uk/help-guides/radio/troubleshooting-interference-to-dab-radio

Why do my kitchen lights affect my DAB reception?

If your halogen kitchen lights have been replaced for LED ones, these can potentially cause interference to DAB. Often when halogen lights are replaced the transformer is retained and this can be the cause of the problem. For further information see our interference caused by lighting help guide.

Unfortunately, the link to the mentioned help guide is broken. :(

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”