Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

hotspot data via mobile networks

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
jackdaww
Lemon Quarter

hotspot data via mobile networks

Postby jackdaww » April 2nd, 2021, 10:35 am

am looking for a wifi hotspot device and sim to pick up data only from mobile networks in the uk .

my laptop should then connect to the hotspot via wifi.

for email and website use - no great speeds needed - no streaming .

ive tried using my smartfone - but cant get internet to connect - probably the wrong sim .

this for my touring caravan when on holiday .

grateful for any info , ideas etc

:) :)

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Re: hotspot data via mobile networks

Postby UncleEbenezer » April 2nd, 2021, 10:56 am

I sense a lot of confusion.

wifi isn't mobile data as in 3/4/5g, it's an entirely different protocol that transmits over far shorter distances.
wifi doesn't involve a sim.
wifi hotspots are local: they started as particular services such as "internet cafes" and are now more widespread.

Some providers may offer a wifi service, which is basically a numbers/density game that will offer data predominantly in densely-packed urban areas with lots of wifi points. It relies on enough of the owners of such wifi points participating in a scheme to open them for public access via the provider's authentication. But it's no substitute for a sim card and service.

For many of the kind of places you'd be taking a caravan, you can make your phone into a wifi hotspot for the laptop.
Last edited by UncleEbenezer on April 2nd, 2021, 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

genou
Lemon Quarter

Postby genou » April 2nd, 2021, 10:58 am

jackdaww wrote:.

am looking for a wifi hotspot device and sim to pick up data only from mobile networks in the uk .

ive tried using my smartfone - but cant get internet to connect - probably the wrong sim .

I'm struggling to see why your phone won't allow you to tether to it at all; although your deal may bar tethering, I've not come across it enforced at that level.

I have a TP-LINK M7200 4G LTE MiFi . https://smarty.co.uk/ offer pretty good deals for mobile data, and that's what I've got in the router. All works fine.

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » April 2nd, 2021, 11:10 am

echoing thoughts above...

wrt the phone wont do "data" ... is it a smartphone? does the airtime deal you have have a data allowance? is the phone configured/set to provide data connections and tethering?

didds

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » April 2nd, 2021, 11:12 am

I use my iPhone when there's no free Wi-Fi available - What smartphone do you have ?
You can get 'data dongles' and mobile Wi-Fi hotspots from most UK operators- they are effectively doing the same job as a tethered phone
I used to use a 3G dongle which just fits in a USB port - fine for email etc but inevitably the data charges can be high for massive downloads

jackdaww
Lemon Quarter

Postby jackdaww » April 2nd, 2021, 11:34 am

UncleEbenezer wrote:I sense a lot of confusion.

wifi isn't mobile data as in 3/4/5g, it's an entirely different protocol that transmits over far shorter distances.
wifi hotspots are local: they started as particular services such as "internet cafes" and are now more widespread.

Some providers may offer a wifi service, which is basically a numbers/density game that will offer data predominantly in densely-packed urban areas with lots of wifi points. It relies on enough of the owners of such wifi points participating in a scheme to open them for public access via the provider's authentication. But it's no substitute for a sim card and service.

For many of the kind of places you'd be taking a caravan, you can make your phone into a wifi hotspot for the laptop.

==============================

many thanks .

i was asking about a PERSONAL hotspot device, rather than public wifi such as cafe nero etc .

i have not succeeded with my smartfone as yet - i have a payg deal via asda , on the EE network.

i am aware that wifi networks and mobile networks are different animals ...

:)

jackdaww
Lemon Quarter

Postby jackdaww » April 2nd, 2021, 11:38 am

AleisterCrowley wrote:I use my iPhone when there's no free Wi-Fi available - What smartphone do you have ?
You can get 'data dongles' and mobile Wi-Fi hotspots from most UK operators- they are effectively doing the same job as a tethered phone
I used to use a 3G dongle which just fits in a USB port - fine for email etc but inevitably the data charges can be high for massive downloads

==========================

my fone is a samsung j510, on the asdamobile network via EE - payg .

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » April 2nd, 2021, 11:39 am

jackdaww wrote:i have not succeeded with my smartfone as yet - i have a payg deal via asda , on the EE network.

On the Asda website it says:

"Can I tether from my Asda Mobile Phone?
You can use your Asda Mobile phone as a personal hotspot if your device allows this, this allows you to access the internet on another device using your Asda Mobile data. Data charges may apply.
"

https://mobile.asda.com/help/phones-dev ... sda-mobile

So it may be worth persisting with this. Is it Android or an iPhone?

Scott.

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » April 2nd, 2021, 11:41 am

I see it's Android. Usually it's pretty straightforward to set up a hotspot from the pull-down menu at the top of the screen, and set a password.

Then from the laptop connect to that Wifi network.

Scott.

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » April 2nd, 2021, 11:43 am

If you do want a separate device and SIM, then you could look for Huawei Mifi devices on Amazon. 5G are more expensive than 4G, your choice.

Scott.

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » April 2nd, 2021, 11:44 am

Should be OK - not sure if a J-5 and J510 are similar /identical but;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvMKZot255g

jackdaww
Lemon Quarter

Postby jackdaww » April 2nd, 2021, 11:46 am

genou wrote:

I'm struggling to see why your phone won't allow you to tether to it at all; although your deal may bar tethering, I've not come across it enforced at that level.

I have a TP-LINK M7200 4G LTE MiFi . https://smarty.co.uk/ offer pretty good deals for mobile data, and that's what I've got in the router. All works fine.

========================

thanks

i did get it to tether , but kept getting " no internet access"

whether that was due to signal strength , or unsuitable sim , i dont know .

the fone is a samsung j510 on the asda mobile network using EE - payg .

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » April 2nd, 2021, 11:48 am

jackdaww wrote:i was asking about a PERSONAL hotspot device, rather than public wifi such as cafe nero etc .

i have not succeeded with my smartfone as yet - i have a payg deal via asda , on the EE network.

i am aware that wifi networks and mobile networks are different animals ...

So the confusion was in my reading of your question.

OK, tethering may be subject to the quirks of your phone - most likely if it's a modified (customised by a vendor) Android. If you haven't already,
(a) check your PAYG deal - if Asda don't allow it, they may have done something to cripple tethering (though why they should do that eludes me - unless they've got into trouble with people on your deal racking up big data bills)
(b) trawl the relevant app store for tethering.
(c) google your specific make/model/deal for similar reports.

Failing all that, you could get a wifi-over-4g/5g device. I paid 20 quid for one when my supposed provider Virgin was proving too unreliable and uncontactable, and found my service from EE to be a whole lot better than Virgin's.

nmdhqbc
Lemon Slice

Postby nmdhqbc » April 2nd, 2021, 11:51 am

UncleEbenezer wrote:I sense a lot of confusion.

i often see people get this stuff confused but i have to say it seems like the OP is not at all confused here except as to why the smartphone hotspot won't work. they talk about using mobile data and sending it to the computer via a wifi hotspot. all adds up.
edit: sorry, seem you already see that now.
Last edited by nmdhqbc on April 2nd, 2021, 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

jackdaww
Lemon Quarter

Postby jackdaww » April 2nd, 2021, 11:52 am

swill453 wrote:If you do want a separate device and SIM, then you could look for Huawei Mifi devices on Amazon. 5G are more expensive than 4G, your choice.

Scott.

==========================

many thanks.

yes , i think a separate device is better , i can just leave it in place in the van , then my fone will be free to make and receive calls.

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » April 2nd, 2021, 11:55 am

Have you got Allow Mobile Data set to "YES"?
Should be in settings menu
(Settings/connections/data usage/ Mobile data 'switch' is ON)

nmdhqbc
Lemon Slice

Postby nmdhqbc » April 2nd, 2021, 12:08 pm

before you choose a SIM it might be worth checking the coverage maps for each provider. depending on what sorts of locations you tend to visit it may be worth paying more for better coverage. i go to a lot of CL/CS's in the middle of nowhere so i chose to pay a bit more for vodafone on my phone. it's been a while since i did that though so for all i know other network could have improved and be just as good or better.

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » April 2nd, 2021, 12:19 pm

jackdaww wrote:
swill453 wrote:If you do want a separate device and SIM, then you could look for Huawei Mifi devices on Amazon. 5G are more expensive than 4G, your choice.

yes , i think a separate device is better , i can just leave it in place in the van , then my fone will be free to make and receive calls.

Phone calls, how primitive... :-)

If you do get a mifi device for the van, some will allow an external wired aerial to be fitted for better reception.

Scott.

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » April 2nd, 2021, 12:29 pm

ha, just about to post the same!
MiFi with antenna ports for low signal area...

jackdaww
Lemon Quarter

Postby jackdaww » April 2nd, 2021, 12:52 pm

nmdhqbc wrote:

before you choose a SIM it might be worth checking the coverage maps for each provider. depending on what sorts of locations you tend to visit it may be worth paying more for better coverage. i go to a lot of CL/CS's in the middle of nowhere so i chose to pay a bit more for vodafone on my phone. it's been a while since i did that though so for all i know other network could have improved and be just as good or better.

========================

yes , i will pay for the best within reason .

i stay mainly on caravan club sites, but their wifi is expensive an unreliable or absent .

scottish highlands.!

i think vodafone comes out on top , followed by EE and O2 , trailed by 3UK .

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”