Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to gpadsa,Steffers0,lansdown,Wasron,jfgw, for Donating to support the site

UK analogue landlines to end in 2025

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Re: UK analogue landlines to end in 2025

Postby Infrasonic » March 2nd, 2023, 7:49 am

elkay wrote:...
This is a bit like the email provider scenario. Many here will recommend separating their email accounts from their ISP. I would suggest the same advice should apply to landlines (for those that need them).

I'd agree.

Watch out also for ISP's selling you VoIP (SiP) packages as part of their bundle that it subsequently transpires can only be run over their routers, which can often be locked down settings wise (custom firmware) with no bridge/modem only facility to allow you to use your own router or third party VoIP adapter box. There was a recent thread on here where Vodafone came up as a culprit but I'm sure they won't be the only one.
https://www.onsip.com/voip-resources/vo ... our%20call.

With FTTP you should be able to PPoE into the ONT (modem) box but I'd be inclined to avoid restrictive ISP's at all if you like to have control over your home network (not too much to ask surely...).

It's another read the small print carefully before you commit situation unfortunately.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » March 2nd, 2023, 7:58 am

Infrasonic wrote:
With FTTP you should be able to PPoE into the ONT (modem) box but I'd be inclined to avoid restrictive ISP's at all if you like to have control over your home network (not too much to ask surely...).

It would be helpful for people like me if you could please translate that into English. ISP presumably means Internet Service Provider but I have no idea what the rest means.

Dod

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » March 2nd, 2023, 8:26 am

Dod101 wrote:
Infrasonic wrote:

It would be helpful for people like me if you could please translate that into English. ISP presumably means Internet Service Provider but I have no idea what the rest means.

Dod

I wouldn't worry Dod, I posted it for people who want to customise their home networking setup and have the technical knowledge and confidence to do so.

If you don't have the understanding the last thing you should be doing is fiddling with networking settings (which is partially why ISP modem/router boxes are so locked down to stop customers breaking things and then expecting their ISP to fix it...).

If you truly want to learn about networking protocols et al there are literally thousands of articles and YT tutorials explaining it all - just search the terms. It's a major rabbit hole though... :)

Here's a good YT channel that explains many networking and other computer topics in a simple digestible fashion..https://www.youtube.com/@PowerCertAnimatedVideos/videos

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » March 2nd, 2023, 8:32 am

Infrasonic wrote:
Dod101 wrote:
Infrasonic wrote:

Dod

I wouldn't worry Dod, I posted it for people who want to customise their home networking setup and have the technical knowledge and confidence to do so.

If you don't have the understanding the last thing you should be doing is fiddling with networking settings (which is partially why ISP modem/router boxes are so locked down to stop customers breaking things and then expecting their ISP to fix it...).

If you truly want to learn about networking protocols et al there are literally thousands of articles and YT tutorials explaining it all - just search the terms. It's a major rabbit hole though... :)

Here's a good YT channel that explains many networking and other computer topics in a simple digestible fashion..https://www.youtube.com/@PowerCertAnimatedVideos/videos

Thanks. I am glad not t have to worry about that. Maybe it has been covered already and if so sorry but what will the answer be once landlines are no more?

I will certainly take a look at the item you have highlighted.

Dod

Dod

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » March 2nd, 2023, 10:41 am

My ISP - Zen - in whom I have complete trust, so far, are pushing VOIP, with only a phone-in resource for questions.

I have a Strowger phone, for which I will need a pulse/tone adaptor, whether and how that will ring with no line voltage... and I have two phones on hard-wired extensions, how does that work....

Anyway I am in no rush to adopt new fangulations, I haven't even got round to buying a DVD as yet, so I will let others fall over all the early problems...

V8

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » March 2nd, 2023, 10:50 am

88V8 wrote:My ISP - Zen - in whom I have complete trust, so far, are pushing VOIP, with only a phone-in resource for questions.

I have a Strowger phone, for which I will need a pulse/tone adaptor, whether and how that will ring with no line voltage... and I have two phones on hard-wired extensions, how does that work....

Anyway I am in no rush to adopt new fangulations, I haven't even got round to buying a DVD as yet, so I will let others fall over all the early problems...

V8

The router is powered and will have a dedicated VoIP port (RJ11) or you'll use an external phone/VoIP adapter box which will interface with the router.

AFAIK all the ISP's are using one of those two options to maintain compatibility with older phones with FTTP.
Extensions I don't know but I'm sure it's been thought of... :)

scrumpyjack
Lemon Quarter

Postby scrumpyjack » March 2nd, 2023, 10:53 am

88V8 wrote:My ISP - Zen - in whom I have complete trust, so far, are pushing VOIP, with only a phone-in resource for questions.

V8

I too have Zen (FTTP) and use their VOIP which is fine. I just plugged my existing Dect base station phone into the router and all works fine.
It has the advantage that phone messages and missed calls are emailed to me so I can listen to phone messages on my mobile or PC from gmail.

I think they require FTTP for it.

ps also easily transferred my existing landline number

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » March 2nd, 2023, 11:00 am

Infrasonic wrote:The router is powered and will have a dedicated VoIP port (RJ11) or you'll use an external phone/VoIP adapter box which will interface with the router.

AFAIK all the ISP's are using one of those two options to maintain compatibility with older phones with FTTP.

Um... So far, Plusnet is described as not providing any voice telephone services once FTTP is ordered. No word about if you remain on FTTC. The current Plusnet Hub 2 router (it is a BT router in disguise) has the port - covered over with a peel off label - but the customised firmware does not support having a phone plugged in. So it says in forum posts. BT and their router will support phone services on FTTP.

Mind you, after switch off of the PSTN (actually, starting from 5 September this year) Openreach's own words seem to me to imply the remaining copper system will be allowed to slowly degrade.

https://www.openreach.co.uk/cpportal/products/the-all-ip-programme/wlr-withdrawal
Last edited by XFool on March 2nd, 2023, 11:11 am, edited 3 times in total.

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » March 2nd, 2023, 11:05 am

88V8 wrote:I have a Strowger phone, for which I will need a pulse/tone adaptor, whether and how that will ring with no line voltage... and I have two phones on hard-wired extensions, how does that work....

You have a "Strowger phone"?

I doubt it! I guess you mean you have a Loop Disconnect pulse phone? Strowger went the way of the horse through, decades ago.

88V8 wrote:Anyway I am in no rush to adopt new fangulations, I haven't even got round to buying a DVD as yet, so I will let others fall over all the early problems...

Here's hoping you have a mobile... :)

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » March 2nd, 2023, 11:06 am

XFool wrote:
Infrasonic wrote:The router is powered and will have a dedicated VoIP port (RJ11) or you'll use an external phone/VoIP adapter box which will interface with the router.

Um... So far, Plusnet is described as not providing any voice telephone services once FTTP is ordered. So far no word about if you remain on FTTC. The current Plusnet Hub 2 router (it is a BT router in disguise) has the port - which is covered over with a peel of label - but the customised firmware does not support having a phone plugged in. So it says in forum posts. BT and their router will support phone services on FTTP.

As long as the ISP's aren't blocking UDP VoIP traffic via firewall rules then you can use a third party SiP/VoIP provider with an adapter box, port your existing number over and away you go. If not then get rid of those ISP's and use a decent one... :D

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » March 2nd, 2023, 11:28 am

XFool wrote:Mind you, after switch off of the PSTN (actually, starting from 5 September this year) Openreach's own words seem to me to imply the remaining copper system will be allowed to slowly degrade.

https://www.openreach.co.uk/cpportal/products/the-all-ip-programme/stopsell-updates

WLR Withdrawal programme

"Consideration will also be given to investment policies in the copper network which could include VDSL cabinet capacity and repairs of the copper network"

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » March 4th, 2023, 10:30 am

scrumpyjack wrote:I too have Zen (FTTP) and use their VOIP which is fine. I just plugged my existing Dect base station phone into the router and all works fine

My Zen package isn't VOIP (yet), but it includes one landline number as well as all my broadband.

If I upgrade to VOIP (and if I understand correctly?), I can get a second landline number routed through the same package, and presumably save myself the £30 a month that I'm currently paying Shell Energy for that second number and the separate analogue phone service that comes with it?

Can somebody please explain in tech simpleton's language what I'd need to do to get to that point? Ta muchly. :)

BJ

scrumpyjack
Lemon Quarter

Postby scrumpyjack » March 4th, 2023, 12:11 pm

bungeejumper wrote:
scrumpyjack wrote:I too have Zen (FTTP) and use their VOIP which is fine. I just plugged my existing Dect base station phone into the router and all works fine

My Zen package isn't VOIP (yet), but it includes one landline number as well as all my broadband.

If I upgrade to VOIP (and if I understand correctly?), I can get a second landline number routed through the same package, and presumably save myself the £30 a month that I'm currently paying Shell Energy for that second number and the separate analogue phone service that comes with it?

Can somebody please explain in tech simpleton's language what I'd need to do to get to that point? Ta muchly. :)

BJ

VOIP comes over your internet connection and does not need a rented landline. Zen's VOIP service (Digital Voice) costs £7 a month and includes loads of free minutes so effectively there is nothing extra. I scrapped my landlines when i went VOIP.

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » March 4th, 2023, 6:39 pm

XFool wrote:
88V8 wrote:I have a Strowger phone, for which I will need a pulse/tone adaptor, whether and how that will ring with no line voltage... and I have two phones on hard-wired extensions, how does that work....

You have a "Strowger phone"?
I doubt it! I guess you mean you have a Loop Disconnect pulse phone? Strowger went the way of the horse trough, decades ago.

Haha, I mean a phone with a dial, a real dial, and a real bell or rather two bells.

XFool wrote:
88V8 wrote:Anyway I am in no rush to adopt new fangulations, I haven't even got round to buying a DVD as yet, so I will let others fall over all the early problems...

Here's hoping you have a mobile... :)

Yes, a Nokia 3110.
Is it smart, you're wondering. Yes, it is, it has a two-tone leather case.

V8

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » March 27th, 2023, 5:48 pm

BT defies critics to restart rollout of controversial digital phones: Move could leave customers unable to call emergency services during power cut

This is Money

"Telecoms giant BT is set to quietly restart its controversial digital home phone rollout, which could leave customers unable to call emergency services if there is a power cut, The Mail on Sunday can reveal."

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”