Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Windows 11 available on October 5

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Windows 11 available on October 5

Postby Breelander » September 27th, 2021, 4:02 pm

With the official launch of Windows 11 just a couple of weeks away I'm surprised no one has mentioned or asked about it yet ;)

Microsoft wrote:Today, we are thrilled to announce Windows 11 will start to become available on October 5, 2021. On this day, the free upgrade to Windows 11 will begin rolling out to eligible Windows 10 PCs and PCs that come pre-loaded with Windows 11 will start to become available for purchase.
https://www.elevenforum.com/t/windows-1 ... er-5.1142/

It will be a free upgrade for Windows 10, but the new higher hardware requirements for Windows 11 mean that not all Windows 10 PCs can be upgraded. Only PCs built in 2018 or later stand any chance of seeing it offered as an upgrade in Windows Update. Minimum requirements are: Secure boot, TPM 2.0, a UEFI GPT install, 4GB RAM, and a supported processor (for Intel that means an 8th gen or newer processor).

Microsoft wrote:These are the minimum system requirements for installing Windows 11 on a PC...if your device is already running Windows 10, you can use the PC Health Check app to assess compatibility.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows ... ifications

For unsupported PCs don't worry, Windows 10 will remain fully supported with cumulative updates and feature updates until 14th October 2025. In fact a W10 21H2 feature update is due to be released shortly.

How-To Geek wrote:Microsoft has set the end date of Windows 10 support to October 14, 2025....
https://www.howtogeek.com/741245/dont-p ... ntil-2025/

And finally: no - Microsoft never officially said that Windows 10 would be the last Windows ever. That was an off-the-cuff remark at the Ignite conference in 2015 that got picked up by the press and got blown up out of all proportion....

According to the transcript of the session, Nixon’s comment was more of a throwaway line, one that he literally referred to as a segue...

. ...But give Nixon a break, too: He made an enthusiastic, throwaway comment that ended up being understood as company policy.
https://www.pcworld.com/article/3622190 ... ndows.html

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Re: Windows 11 available on October 5

Postby mc2fool » September 27th, 2021, 6:43 pm

Breelander wrote:With the official launch of Windows 11 just a couple of weeks away I'm surprised no one has mentioned or asked about it yet ;)
Microsoft wrote:Today, we are thrilled to announce Windows 11 will start to become available on October 5, 2021. On this day, the free upgrade to Windows 11 will begin rolling out to eligible Windows 10 PCs and PCs that come pre-loaded with Windows 11 will start to become available for purchase.
https://www.elevenforum.com/t/windows-1 ... er-5.1142/

Here are 11 highlights of this release​

1. The new design and sounds are modern, fresh, clean and beautiful, bringing you a sense of calm and ease.

Uh? That's the number 1 highlight, "a sense of calm and ease" ?!? :shock:

Is Windows 11 a new operating system or a branded version of a Gwyneth Paltrow scented candle ?!? :roll:

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » September 27th, 2021, 6:48 pm

Good to know, thank you.

I have one laptop that is still running Windows 7 because it cannot support W10. I have another that hasn't been making updates to W10 for the last 18 months because of a lack of disk space. So I have no chance with W11.

This might tempt me to buy a new W11 machine which is a shame because the three devices I currently have all work just fine other than that.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » September 27th, 2021, 7:12 pm

mc2fool wrote:Is Windows 11 a new operating system or a branded version of a Gwyneth Paltrow scented candle ?!? :roll:

:lol: It's okay, you're safe. I think the mods are on their tea break...... :lol:

One thing's for sure. My desktop computer is 3 years old, and my laptop is 6 years old. Neither of them is up to spec for the new global peace panacea, so I'll have to make do with the ylang ylang room spray, and maybe some saffron and incense. But by 2025 they'll be old enough that I probably won't mind replacing them. It could have been worse. :|

BJ

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » September 27th, 2021, 7:19 pm

mc2fool wrote:
Here are 11 highlights of this release​

1. The new design and sounds are modern, fresh, clean and beautiful, bringing you a sense of calm and ease.

Uh? That's the number 1 highlight, "a sense of calm and ease" ?!? :shock:

Is Windows 11 a new operating system or a branded version of a Gwyneth Paltrow scented candle ?!? :roll:

Windows 11 is Windows 10 with a substantial redesign of the Start menu, the Settings app, and the Taskbar. Less 'earth shattering' design changes include the return of rounded corners for all windows, last seen (and sadly missed by some) in Windows 7.

Operationally it is little different from Windows 10, and everything that runs in W10 should run equally well in W11. Microsoft say that gamers will find it's got greatly improved graphics speeds.

I've been running Windows 11 for two months now, since the Insider preview was first released. I'm not an Insider, but I got an ISO from Microsoft with the help of UUPDump. I used it to upgrade a copy of my main machine and have been using W11 for my usual daily tasks. Everything works just as it did in W10.

As with any new Windows, there are some who will like all the design changes, some who will hate them, and others like me who will find it's not sufficiently different from W10 to make it difficult to adapt to the changes.

Microsoft could easily have got away with calling it the next version of '10'. But with the new look and the increased hardware requirements it makes some sense for Microsoft to 'turn it up to 11', particularly as W10 will continue to be available and updated for those PCs that can't run W11.

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » September 27th, 2021, 7:31 pm

Lootman wrote:I have one laptop that is still running Windows 7 because it cannot support W10. I have another that hasn't been making updates to W10 for the last 18 months because of a lack of disk space. So I have no chance with W11.

This might tempt me to buy a new W11 machine which is a shame because the three devices I currently have all work just fine other than that.

When Windows 11 was announced none of my laptops were supported for running Windows 11. None of them have a processor that's on Microsoft's list of supported processors (my newest has a 6th gen i7). But that's not really a problem, they can happily stay on Windows 10 for the next four years while it's still supported.

I don't think I've ever bought a new laptop, I always get them 2nd hand. For Windows 11 I bought a used laptop from CashConverters, less than 1 year old, that does meet the minimum specs. I used Macrium Reflect to restore a system image from my main laptop to it, then upgraded that to Windows 11. The lowest price I found for a fully 'Windows 11 ready' used laptop was about £150, mine cost £220.

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » September 27th, 2021, 8:00 pm

Breelander wrote:...I used Macrium Reflect to restore a system image from my main laptop to it, then upgraded that to Windows 11....

What are you doing licensing wise with that method?

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » September 27th, 2021, 8:47 pm

Infrasonic wrote:
Breelander wrote:...I used Macrium Reflect to restore a system image from my main laptop to it, then upgraded that to Windows 11....

What are you doing licensing wise with that method?

Windows activation is tied to the hardware ID of the PC through a digital licence stored on Microsoft's activation servers. As both the 'donor' PC and the new PC I copied its OS to had a digital licence for Windows 10 Home in their own right there were no issues copying the installed OS from one machine to another, or in continuing to use Windows on the original machine. My installed Windows 10 had the generic Home key as its installed key, so relies on the Digital licence for activation. Windows 11 and Windows 10 both activate from the same digital licence.

Care would be needed for other installed software if it had its own licensing arrangements, Microsoft Office for example. Fortunately the only software licence I need to transfer would be Macrium Reflect itself, and for that it's easy to remove the installed key on one machine so it can be installed on another. Reflect reverts to the Free edition when you uninstall it's key.

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » September 27th, 2021, 8:56 pm

And how does Windows sort out drivers and manufacturer's PC specific software and the like?

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » September 27th, 2021, 9:46 pm

mc2fool wrote:

And how does Windows sort out drivers and manufacturer's PC specific software and the like?

It does so very well. Microsoft supply Windows with a library of drivers for most of the commonly found hardware. The donor machine had an Intel processor and graphics, while the recipient has an AMD processor with Radeon graphics. Network, WiFi, and touchpad used different hardware too. On first boot Windows said 'installing drivers' for a while, then rebooted to a system using all the correct drivers for the new hardware.

OEM pc-specific software often won't work on another make or model of course. But then I tend to uninstall most of the OEM 'bloatware' anyway. For the new machine, should you really need their OEM utilities, they can always be downloaded from the manufacturer's support site.

Nocton
Lemon Slice

Postby Nocton » September 28th, 2021, 9:42 am

"Windows 11 is Windows 10 with a substantial redesign of the Start menu, the Settings app, and the Taskbar. Less 'earth shattering' design changes include the return of rounded corners for all windows, last seen (and sadly missed by some) in Windows 7.
Operationally it is little different from Windows 10, and everything that runs in W10 should run equally well in W11."

So it looks like change for change's sake. I'm perfectly happy with W10 and really don't see why I should have to get used to a substantially redesigned Start menu, etc. And as for "rounded corners" - words fail me! For me a PC is a tool not an office ornament.

Redmires
Lemon Slice

Postby Redmires » September 28th, 2021, 10:05 am

I can't see the take up rate for Win 11 being that popular. I'll not be swapping out our laptops & desktop just for a fancy new look. Perfect timing from Microsoft to try to enforce everyone to buy new hardware, just as the world suffers from a shortage of semi-conductors (with subsequent price increases) and we're all encouraged to stop sending perfectly decent products to landfill. From the popular press .....

One of the biggest laptop makers in the world, Acer, has said the worldwide global chip shortage will continue to have a “severe” impact on its production capabilities until at least the first or second quarter of next year. The shortage of semi-conductors across the globe has resulted in supply issues for everything from computers, phones and gaming consoles to new cars.

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » September 28th, 2021, 12:01 pm

Well one of the winners from these W11 hardware restrictions might be Linux, which will run fine on pre gen 8...

I've not kept up to date with the W11 'will it won't it install' saga but my understanding was that it's only the W10 to W11 free upgrade path that will be very restrictive.

If you go the W11 clean install route then there's more hardware flexibility?

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » September 28th, 2021, 12:46 pm

Nocton wrote:... as for "rounded corners" - words fail me! For me a PC is a tool not an office ornament.

Whatever they do, MS cannot win on this one. Does anyone remember the backlash from users when Microsoft introduced square corners in Windows 8?

I would like to know whether it's possible to change the sharp corners/edges of the windows (in windows 8.1) to the curved corners/edges as we have in windows 7 ?
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/win ... 6e7161a97d

i dont like an never use an OS that looks likes Windows 1.0 or 2.0. I want colors, degraded colors, transparencies, rounded borders, full color 3D icons, shadows, effects, and more.
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/ins ... 9bf65df0d6

Basically, you cannot please all of the people all of the time... ;)

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » September 28th, 2021, 1:09 pm

Infrasonic wrote:..I've not kept up to date with the W11 'will it won't it install' saga but my understanding was that it's only the W10 to W11 free upgrade path that will be very restrictive.

If you go the W11 clean install route then there's more hardware flexibility?

The installer checks for hardware compatibility too. There are ways to bypass these checks, and I have done so to test this on a machine with a 1st gen i5. But I wouldn't recommend this for any machine you need to rely on. While W11 currently runs well on almost anything, further down the line MS may introduce functions that rely on the newer hardware features.

Many machines built in the last three or four years should be capable of running Windows 11, though some of the required functions (eg: TPM) may currently be disabled by default in the bios. A lot of the major OEMs are currently issuing bios updates to change the default to 'enabled'.

Microsoft wrote:This article is intended for users who are not able to upgrade to Windows 11 because their PC is not currently enabled with TPM 2.0 or their PC is capable of running TPM 2.0 but is not set up to do so...

...The option to enable the TPM may be labeled Security Device, Security Device Support, TPM State, AMD fTPM switch, AMD PSP fTPM, Intel PTT, or Intel Platform Trust Technology.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/win ... 6b0c90645c

Many Dell machines can have their TPM firmware updated from TPM 1.2 to TPM 2.0.

https://www.dell.com/support/kbdoc/en-u ... 1-2-to-2-0

You can check you PC for compatibility with the PC Health Check app, link near the bottom of this page.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/windows-11

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » September 28th, 2021, 1:34 pm

Breelander wrote:You can check you PC for compatibility with the PC Health Check app, link near the bottom of this page.

Hmmm ... so what is it that makes my less than 4 years old i3-7100 @ 3.90GHz processor (in my desktop PC) incompatible, I wonder?

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » September 28th, 2021, 2:01 pm

My W10 desktop is 4th Gen i5, no TPM facility (not even as a socketed add on on the MB - first thing I checked when W11 beta was announced), no BIOS updates available after 2016.

Ho hum - I'll run it W10 and wait until the current component shortage resolves itself and then look at buying a W11 compatible replacement.
Maybe a decent spec refurbed workstation so I can run multiple VM's and containers - I note in addition to WSL (Linux) W11 is doing better Android compatibility as well - maybe they might do a container a la Chromebooks?

My Chromebook isn't high enough spec to run Windows via Parallels (which is also enterprise only currently) but that is a tempting route. Chrome OS + Android container at boot with Linux and Windows as installed VM options. I use Chrome OS/Android/Linux daily on my Chromebook, Windows desktop much less now.

Or maybe by then developers will have figured out the ARM Mac Minis so I can do the same there...

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » September 28th, 2021, 2:38 pm

mc2fool wrote:
Breelander wrote:You can check you PC for compatibility with the PC Health Check app, link near the bottom of this page.

Hmmm ... so what is it that makes my less than 4 years old i3-7100 @ 3.90GHz processor (in my desktop PC) incompatible, I wonder?

The 7th gen i3-7100, it's not on the supported Intel processor list. You need an 8th gen or later.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/window ... processors

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » September 28th, 2021, 2:45 pm

Breelander wrote:
mc2fool wrote:

The 7th gen i3-7100, it's not on the supported Intel processor list. You need an 8th gen or later.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/window ... processors

Yes, yes, I read that. I was just wondering what feature of 8th+ gen processors W11 uses that 7th gen don't have ... and why they couldn't code round it and use a fallback mechanism.....

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » September 28th, 2021, 3:06 pm

mc2fool wrote:Yes, yes, I read that. I was just wondering what feature of 8th+ gen processors W11 uses that 7th gen don't have ... and why they couldn't code round it and use a fallback mechanism.....

Yeah - that's the bit I don't fully get.

I understand the need for improved chip level firmware security going forward as root kits and other malware get ever more sophisticated - but the cut-off being gen 8 seems somewhat arbitrary - unless others know better?

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”