Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to gpadsa,Steffers0,lansdown,Wasron,jfgw, for Donating to support the site

SSD Dead

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

SSD Dead

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » February 19th, 2022, 2:14 pm

My SSD is dead :cry:

The computer guy has said it can't be copied as it's totally fried.

Any help appreciated

Thank you

AiY(D)

pje16
Lemon Half

Re: SSD Dead

Postby pje16 » February 19th, 2022, 2:19 pm

not had to use myself but this might be worth a try
https://www.easeus.com/ad/recover-hard-drive-uk.html
good luck

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » February 19th, 2022, 2:34 pm

Yup, random, sudden and catastrophic death is normal with SSDs. At least with HDDs they usually go slowly and give warning signals, but not with SSDs.

https://blog.elcomsoft.com/2019/01/why-ssds-die-a-sudden-death-and-how-to-deal-with-it/

If you google for recover dead ssd you'll find a number of possible solutions, but personally I'd suggest just buying another and restoring your latest full and incremental/differential backups to it, and then syncing with your live offsite storage.....

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » February 19th, 2022, 4:02 pm

AsleepInYorkshire wrote:My SSD is dead :cry:

The computer guy has said it can't be copied as it's totally fried.

Sorry to hear that. Yes, as mc2fool said, when an SSD lets go it's usually sudden. Having said that, they generally last a long time before they die. I've not had one die on me yet. What make/model was yours?

I do hope you had been taking regular backups. A recent system image is a great way to recover from an unexpected drive failure. If you don't make system images, well, I guess you will be from now on ;)

JohnB
Lemon Quarter

Postby JohnB » February 19th, 2022, 4:16 pm

Mine died last year after 6 years use. It did make warning signs, but I didn't connect them with the SSD. Once it went I found no way to access it, which was a shame because while I have backups, my notes on on how to restore them were on a wiki, which was also backed up, but its install instructions were inside the wiki, which had failed. There is always a gotcha.

Midsmartin
Lemon Slice

Postby Midsmartin » February 19th, 2022, 8:25 pm

A professional data recovery company might be able to recover data, at a high price, depending on the drive, and the manner in which it has failed.
Eg https://pcimage.co.uk/flash-drive-recovery/

Otherwise you just have to buy a new drive, and restore data from backups (hopefully). One of the times you appreciate things like OneDrive is when you log in to a brand new hard drive and all your stuff is magically there.

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » February 19th, 2022, 8:56 pm

How old is the SSD?

The one failure I had the SSD was a couple of months outside the three year warranty but the OEM Western Digital (Sandisk brand) honoured it anyway and sent me a new drive free of charge, including covering postage and delivery costs.
They emailed me a postage label.
The new drive was of a larger capacity and higher spec than the failed SSD too.
Better quality higher spec. SSD's often have five year warranties.

I've mentioned this to others who have received the same service - so it's definitely worth trying with the major OEM's. Turnaround was about ten days as it had to be sent to the Czech republic.

The RMA procedures are online on the manufacturers websites, you'll probably need a receipt for the original purchase and upload a scan to their website. I used the MS lens app on my mobile to do that - there are plenty of options there. Thermal paper receipts often fade with age so I always take a scan of receipts when I purchase stuff and keep a digital copy synced with a cloud service + local backup.

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » February 19th, 2022, 9:16 pm

almost for i did use these guys last year to recover data from a eternal hardrive that was f*ucked by running a scan on it
https://www.anyrecover.com/data-recovery

It did a very good job and I got over 90% of my data back

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”