Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to gpadsa,Steffers0,lansdown,Wasron,jfgw, for Donating to support the site

Problems browsing LemonFool with a SmartTV

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.

By make, can you see lemonfool.co.uk on your SmartTV's browser?

Poll ended at February 25th, 2017, 10:26 pm

Pannasonic - Yes
No votes
Samsung - Yes
No votes
LG - Yes
33%
Sony - Yes
No votes
Others - Yes
No votes
Pannasonic - No
33%
Samsung - No
33%
LG - No
No votes
Sony - No
No votes
Others - No
No votes

Total votes: 3

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Problems browsing LemonFool with a SmartTV

Postby Breelander » February 18th, 2017, 10:26 pm

I have a Pannasonic Viera SmartTV which has (amongst other things) a web browser. It's reported by websites that detect such things as being based on Chrome. I find it a convenient alternative to check some of my favourite site while away from the PC. As of today it cannot connect to lemonfool, the error message is:
There is no response from the server.
Please run the Connection test' from the 'Network' menu. If
the test passes try accessing the network again.

Being a TV, there are no configuration settings available for the browser, but past experience has shown there are three conditions that cause this error.

No internet. (not the case here, other sites work)
The site is down. (well, obviously not or I wouldn't be able to post :) )
There is a problem with the server certificate.

This last one could be the cause. While I have no such problems on the PC, examining the certificate shows a new certificate was issued four days ago on the 14th. It's not clear exactly how my TV's browser accesses the internet. If (as I understand it) Pannasonic's servers are acting as a proxy they may still have the expired certificate in their cache. I suspect other brand may suffer similar issues. I'd be interested in hearing other's experiences.

This survey is open for a week, you can choose up to 3 answers.

staffordian
Lemon Quarter

Re: Problems browsing LemonFool with a SmartTV

Postby staffordian » February 18th, 2017, 10:58 pm

Whilst I think I'd rather poke my eyes with hot needles rather than try to navigate my TV's browser with the remote control, I have eventually managed to enter the appropriate web address and bring up the homepage.

Please don't ask me to attempt to log in; I have other things I have to do between now and Christmas :D :D

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » February 18th, 2017, 11:40 pm

staffordian wrote:Whilst I think I'd rather poke my eyes with hot needles rather than try to navigate my TV's browser with the remote control...

Ah, I see you have an LG. So does my daughter - I know exactly what torture it is - sorry :( Just accessing the home page is sufficient for this test. My deepest thanks for making the effort.

Raptor
Lemon Quarter

Postby Raptor » February 19th, 2017, 10:04 am

Breelander wrote:I have a Pannasonic Viera SmartTV which has (amongst other things) a web browser. It's reported by websites that detect such things as being based on Chrome. I find it a convenient alternative to check some of my favourite site while away from the PC. As of today it cannot connect to lemonfool, the error message is:
There is no response from the server.
Please run the Connection test' from the 'Network' menu. If
the test passes try accessing the network again.

Being a TV, there are no configuration settings available for the browser, but past experience has shown there are three conditions that cause this error.

No internet. (not the case here, other sites work)
The site is down. (well, obviously not or I wouldn't be able to post :) )
There is a problem with the server certificate.

This last one could be the cause. While I have no such problems on the PC, examining the certificate shows a new certificate was issued four days ago on the 14th. It's not clear exactly how my TV's browser accesses the internet. If (as I understand it) Pannasonic's servers are acting as a proxy they may still have the expired certificate in their cache. I suspect other brand may suffer similar issues. I'd be interested in hearing other's experiences.

This survey is open for a week, you can choose up to 3 answers.

When stooz upgraded TLF to have the SSL software (secure site) my Android browser had a similar problem, seemed to be that the "internal android browser" did not support this level of SSL. Installed Firefox (as do not like chrome) and it works fine. Not going to help you if the "browser" is fixed on the TV. Might be worth checking Panasonic web-site for any software updates that may help.

Raptor.

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » February 19th, 2017, 1:39 pm

The oxymoron that is 'smart TV'... :?

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » February 19th, 2017, 5:09 pm

Breelander wrote:Just accessing the home page is sufficient for this test. My deepest thanks for making the effort.

I can get the homepage up but it doesn't load (Samsung). Will try the Sony later.

stooz
Site Admin

Postby stooz » February 19th, 2017, 6:12 pm

If you can clear cookies do that. Also try going to a new page for of but ensure you start with HTTPS not http. So it doesn't redirect

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » February 19th, 2017, 6:50 pm

stooz wrote:If you can clear cookies do that. Also try going to a new page for of but ensure you start with HTTPS not http. So it doesn't redirect

Yes, I can delete Cookies on the Panasonic TV - makes no difference. Nor does deleting the bookmark. Explicitly typing the HTTPS: address doesn't work either. That is the limit of control in the TV's browser, there's no option to update the browser software or change any of its settings.

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”