Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Old Money programme

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
Dod101
The full Lemon

Old Money programme

Postby Dod101 » June 9th, 2022, 8:34 am

I know that MS Money is now ancient (like me!) but I have used it for years and find it works for what I want. So do others I think. Does anyone know how to change the name of a shareholding easily? There have been a number of name changes in recent months, Glaxo to GSK, Royal Dutch Shell to Shell and soon Schroders Non Voting to Schroders and maybe others. Obviously I want to keep the history but simply change the name.

Dod

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Re: Old Money programme

Postby Itsallaguess » June 9th, 2022, 8:56 am

Dod101 wrote:
I know that MS Money is now ancient (like me!) but I have used it for years and find it works for what I want.

Does anyone know how to change the name of a shareholding easily?

There have been a number of name changes in recent months, Glaxo to GSK, Royal Dutch Shell to Shell and soon Schroders Non Voting to Schroders and maybe others. Obviously I want to keep the history but simply change the name.

Does this help Dod?

Right-click any reference to that stock, and choose 'Investment Details' or 'Go To Investment -> Details'.

There you will see a 'Rename' button in the upper right.

https://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/b6aac867-837d-4204-8a01-e70fdc59e69f/correct-typo-in-investment-name?forum=money

I'm using an older version of MS Money 2002 Deluxe, which doesn't quite fit the above process, but if I go to my 'Account Summary' and right-click on one of the shares listed there, then I can see an option to 'Rename' on that right-click menu, so hopefully one of these two options will suit the version you're using...

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » June 9th, 2022, 9:12 am

Itsallaguess wrote:
Dod101 wrote:
I know that MS Money is now ancient (like me!) but I have used it for years and find it works for what I want.

Does anyone know how to change the name of a shareholding easily?

There have been a number of name changes in recent months, Glaxo to GSK, Royal Dutch Shell to Shell and soon Schroders Non Voting to Schroders and maybe others. Obviously I want to keep the history but simply change the name.

Does this help Dod?

Right-click any reference to that stock, and choose 'Investment Details' or 'Go To Investment -> Details'.

There you will see a 'Rename' button in the upper right.

https://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/b6aac867-837d-4204-8a01-e70fdc59e69f/correct-typo-in-investment-name?forum=money

I'm using an older version of MS Money 2002 Deluxe, which doesn't quite fit the above process, but if I go to my 'Account Summary' and right-click on one of the shares listed there, then I can see an option to 'Rename' on that right-click menu, so hopefully one of these two options will suit the version you're using...

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Thanks. Not had any success yet but will keep looking! It must be possible of course.

Dod

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » June 9th, 2022, 9:18 am

Dod101 wrote:
Not had any success yet but will keep looking!

It must be possible of course.

On your version of MS Money, do you have a drop-down menu option titled 'Investing', with an option under that drop-down that says 'Portfolio'?

When I use the above drop-down menu process on my version, I get presented with a list of portfolio holdings, where I can then right-click an individual row in that portfolio list, and I can then see the 'Rename' option at that point, in the right-click menu...

Is that similar to your version?

If not, then it might be helpful to know your specific MS Money version, from the 'Help / About' window accessed via the drop-down menu....

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » June 9th, 2022, 9:27 am

Itsallaguess wrote:
Dod101 wrote:
Not had any success yet but will keep looking!

It must be possible of course.

On your version of MS Money, do you have a drop-down menu option titled 'Investing', with an option under that drop-down that says 'Portfolio'?

When I use the above drop-down menu process on my version, I get presented with a list of portfolio holdings, where I can then right-click an individual row in that portfolio list, and I can then see the 'Rename' option at that point, in the right-click menu...

Is that similar to your version?

If not, then it might be helpful to know your specific MS Money version, from the 'Help / About' window accessed via the drop-down menu....

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Success! I sort of followed the instructions from the forum response that you very kindly highlighted. These things always just need an open mind to try new things which I am not very good at! Anyway it is not something we need very often but it is great when it works because I have been finding it very frustrating. I find Money to be very good and such a shame that they stopped updating it.

I am very grateful for your help.

Dod

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » June 9th, 2022, 9:36 am

Dod101 wrote:
Success!

I sort of followed the instructions from the forum response that you very kindly highlighted.

These things always just need an open mind to try new things which I am not very good at!

Great news. I think they've clearly made slight changes in this particular area between the different MS Money version, so some level of hunting down is often needed, but great that you found the right process.

You're dead right about MS Money generally though. I don't actually use it for my investments at all now, and use Excel for all that type of work, but all of my general expenditure goes through my MS Money software, and I've just checked that my spending history goes all the way back to 2007.

I keep all sorts of useful details in the discretionary spending entries, and often find myself wanting to go back and look at a particular make or model of something I've bought in the past, just to make sure I can get the correct one again, or to find where I bought it, and so the usefulness of the MS Money software, for me at least, goes well beyond just aligning my finances - it's a very useful historical record in itself, I often find!

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » June 9th, 2022, 2:47 pm

ObPedant: I clicked this thread expecting something about a radio or TV programme. Not a computer program!

SalvorHardin
Lemon Quarter

Postby SalvorHardin » June 9th, 2022, 3:06 pm

Itsallaguess wrote:You're dead right about MS Money generally though. I don't actually use it for my investments at all now, and use Excel for all that type of work, but all of my general expenditure goes through my MS Money software, and I've just checked that my spending history goes all the way back to 2007.

I keep all sorts of useful details in the discretionary spending entries, and often find myself wanting to go back and look at a particular make or model of something I've bought in the past, just to make sure I can get the correct one again, or to find where I bought it, and so the usefulness of the MS Money software, for me at least, goes well beyond just aligning my finances - it's a very useful historical record in itself, I often find!

I see your 2007 and raise you to 2001, back when I bought Microsoft Money on a CD :D I'm currently on the 2004 Sunset UK version.

Like you I use Money for tracking all of my bank and credit card accounts, but the investments were switched to Excel a long time ago. Microsoft Money is superb for keeping bank records, particularly since you can set it up to automatically post all direct debits and standing orders to your accounts when they arise (mine is set up so that on the 1st of the month all of that month's payments are automatically recorded in each account).

Every time that Microsoft announces a new version of Windows it's a case of "fingers crossed that Microsoft Money still works with the new version".

Just before I upgraded to Windows 7, I set up a backup for Microsoft Money. It's an Excel workbook where I've made a detailed note of every direct debit, direct credit and standing order for each of my accounts. If I ever set up a new regular payment (or credit) then immediately after setting it up in Microsoft Money it goes into this spreadsheet. So if a Windows update ever disables Microsoft Money and there isn't a workaround then I'll resort to this whilst I check out alternative programs which say that they can import Microsoft Money data.
Last edited by SalvorHardin on June 9th, 2022, 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » June 9th, 2022, 3:06 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:ObPedant: I clicked this thread expecting something about a radio or TV programme. Not a computer program!

I'd don't like to see people disappointed
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Money_Programme
featured Valerie Singleton
who 60s kids grew up with on

Blue Peter
The Money Programme
Nationwide &
Tonight

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » June 9th, 2022, 4:24 pm

I use the opposition, Quicken Deluxe 2000. This was an upgrade from an earlier version, and stores all my transactions since 1997 in 29 bank accounts and 30 credit card accounts.

Scott.

JuanDB
2 Lemon pips

Postby JuanDB » June 9th, 2022, 4:31 pm

SalvorHardin wrote:
Itsallaguess wrote:You're dead right about MS Money generally though. I don't actually use it for my investments at all now, and use Excel for all that type of work, but all of my general expenditure goes through my MS Money software, and I've just checked that my spending history goes all the way back to 2007.

I see your 2007 and raise you to 2001, back when I bought Microsoft Money on a CD :D I'm currently on the 2004 Sunset UK version.

Like you I use Money for tracking all of my bank and credit card accounts, but the investments were switched to Excel a long time ago. Microsoft Money is superb for keeping bank records, particularly since you can set it up to automatically post all direct debits and standing orders to your accounts when they arise (mine is set up so that on the 1st of the month all of that month's payments are automatically recorded in each account).

Every time that Microsoft announces a new version of Windows it's a case of "fingers crossed that Microsoft Money still works with the new version".

Just before I upgraded to Windows 7, I set up a backup for Microsoft Money. It's an Excel workbook where I've made a detailed note of every direct debit, direct credit and standing order for each of my accounts. If I ever set up a new regular payment (or credit) then immediately after setting it up in Microsoft Money it goes into this spreadsheet. So if a Windows update ever disables Microsoft Money and there isn't a workaround then I'll resort to this whilst I check out alternative programs which say that they can import Microsoft Money data.

I’ll see your 2001 and raise v4 which I believe dates to 1995. I once tried updating to money 98 but it all seemed a bit new-fangled. I ran it on a windows XP machine until last Christmas when I was delighted to find it continues to run quite happily on windows 10 on a new-to-me refurb PC from Amazon.

I have an archived money file 1995-2003, after which my wife and I consolidated finances - a nearly 20 year record of every penny earned, spent and invested. My magnum opus.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » June 9th, 2022, 4:58 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:ObPedant: I clicked this thread expecting something about a radio or TV programme. Not a computer program!

Well it is on the Computer Board (although I see that also covers TV and Phones)

Dod

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » June 9th, 2022, 5:06 pm

I am a simple soul when it comes to tracking my finances. I have an Excel spreadsheet on which I record all my expenses. Very simple. Since I only have accounts with one bank that too is easy, a C/A and two savings accounts.

It is keeping track of my investments that I use Money for and it works admirably for that.

Dod

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » June 9th, 2022, 7:53 pm

JuanDB wrote:I’ll see your 2001 and raise v4 which I believe dates to 1995.

1995 was when I first started using Microsoft Money as they gave away a copy of v4 on a floppy disk on Computer Shopper to promote Windows 95 (iirc it would only run on Win 95).

Subsequently purchased a couple of updated versions and am now running v14 which was the last UK version and it still works fine on Win 11.

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Postby ReformedCharacter » June 9th, 2022, 8:13 pm

I've just been asked by a friend and long-term MS Money user to help fix him up with a new laptop which will be running W11. From what I've read it can be made to run on Win11 but I'm unsure for how long it is likely to work, apparently one of the Win10 updates broke it for a while. I've suggested that he try Moneydance on his new machine. Have I given good advice? Obviously, like many here, he would prefer to continue with MS Money. I even considered a Win7 Virtual Machine but that seems like going a bit far.

RC

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » June 9th, 2022, 8:44 pm

ReformedCharacter wrote:I've just been asked by a friend and long-term MS Money user to help fix him up with a new laptop which will be running W11. From what I've read it can be made to run on Win11 but I'm unsure for how long it is likely to work, apparently one of the Win10 updates broke it for a while. I've suggested that he try Moneydance on his new machine. Have I given good advice? Obviously, like many here, he would prefer to continue with MS Money. I even considered a Win7 Virtual Machine but that seems like going a bit far.

RC

I use my version of Money on Windows 11 and it works as well as it ever did.

Dod

staffordian
Lemon Quarter

Postby staffordian » June 9th, 2022, 10:35 pm

ReformedCharacter wrote:I've just been asked by a friend and long-term MS Money user to help fix him up with a new laptop which will be running W11. From what I've read it can be made to run on Win11 but I'm unsure for how long it is likely to work, apparently one of the Win10 updates broke it for a while. I've suggested that he try Moneydance on his new machine. Have I given good advice? Obviously, like many here, he would prefer to continue with MS Money. I even considered a Win7 Virtual Machine but that seems like going a bit far.

RC

I can't comment on the MS Money / Windows 11 aspect, but after using Quicken from about 1994 until 2009, I took the plunge and moved to Moneydance as I'd got fed up with Quicken's inability to download share prices, and it's withdrawal from the UK market meaning it might become obsolete and unusable.

Importing data from Quicken wasn't exactly straightforward, but with some tidying up it was fine.

Moneydance lacks the sophisticated interface of Quicken and Money, but once that is accepted, I've found it extremely good. There are extensions which work seamlessly with it, including one to automatically download stock and currency prices and there is also an Android app to allow basic transaction entry on the go, which synchronises with the main program.

Additionally, there is a reasonably active forum to get answers to any queries or problems.

So whilst I'm sure initial impressions might be a little underwhelming to a long term Money user, the fundamentals are certainly all there.

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”