Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

iPhone possessed... weird behaviour of Xr - virus or bug?

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

iPhone possessed... weird behaviour of Xr - virus or bug?

Postby AleisterCrowley » June 11th, 2022, 11:41 pm

My iPhone Xr has started playing up recently
It's like I'm randomly tapping apps etc even when I'm not touching the screen
Or I'll get all the apps 'wobbling' with x by them asking me if I want to delete, so i have to cancel
I've had an iphone for about 10 years (4S then Xr) and have never had any 'buggy' behaviour before
I was under the impression they couldn't get viruses - so any ideas?
I've powered off several times and I'm currently downloading latest iOS 15.5

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Re: iPhone possessed... weird behaviour of Xr - virus or bug?

Postby Infrasonic » June 12th, 2022, 7:12 am

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » June 12th, 2022, 10:31 am

Thanks , plenty to try and I at least know what to call the problem !

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » June 12th, 2022, 6:21 pm

Had a chat with the tech expert at the Apple Store today and he did a full check of hardware and software and it looks OK
He was obviously aware of the 'ghost touch' issue

After downloading iOS15.5 last night it was still playing up this morning, but I did a full reset (not a factory settings restore) and it - touch wood- seems to be working OK
Chap in the Apple store said if it is a problem I can backup and do a full factory reset
Trouble is;
I don't have iTunes
I don't have enough space to back up to iCloud, and it's a work phone so I can't buy more
I can't get iTunes as Microsoft Store is blocked on my work laptop

iPhones are standard issue to staff....

D'oh!

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » June 12th, 2022, 7:23 pm

AleisterCrowley wrote:and it's a work phone…

So it’s a problem for your employer’s IT support team?

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » June 12th, 2022, 8:26 pm

Yes, if I can't get it fixed. If it's a simple fix I'd rather do it myself. Their usual response is to send a new one out - not very 'green' :mrgreen:

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » June 13th, 2022, 2:21 am

AleisterCrowley wrote:Yes, if I can't get it fixed. If it's a simple fix I'd rather do it myself. Their usual response is to send a new one out - not very 'green' :mrgreen:

I think the duff one would normally be recycled/refurbished so it's not as un-green as one might think at first glance.

The various layers of reset are just moving up the "turn it off and on again" hierarchy - eventually you should get to one where the calibration info is blatted and it can start afresh.

There might be third party tools that can do the job of itunes if it comes to a full reset, but the last time I looked at this was many moons ago with a school ipad; while process seemed to be a way to onboard folk for iCloud :roll:

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » June 13th, 2022, 10:48 am

Bear in mind that with age smart phones just get flakey, wear and tear, humidity changes etc take their toll.

I keep mine until they pretty much stop working (but I always carry two phones on different networks) - near the end of life a full factory reset will generally get a few extra months out of them but it's definitely diminishing returns.

I'm on my fourth smartphone in 23 years - my old Sony P900 lasted the longest and that just needed the power/data socket daughter board replacing as the connector had got worn - Symbian OS was the bigger operational problem there... :)

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » June 13th, 2022, 10:52 am

My XR is pretty new (<2 yrs?), I kept my old 4S until it was unusable (battery life and iOS support)

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » June 13th, 2022, 10:54 am

servodude wrote:
AleisterCrowley wrote:Yes, if I can't get it fixed. If it's a simple fix I'd rather do it myself. Their usual response is to send a new one out - not very 'green' :mrgreen:

I think the duff one would normally be recycled/refurbished so it's not as un-green as one might think at first glance.

The various layers of reset are just moving up the "turn it off and on again" hierarchy - eventually you should get to one where the calibration info is blatted and it can start afresh.

There might be third party tools that can do the job of itunes if it comes to a full reset, but the last time I looked at this was many moons ago with a school ipad; while process seemed to be a way to onboard folk for iCloud :roll:

Yes, they do recycle, but there's the hassle of getting a new phone set up, particularly as I'm travelling end of week and off for a while
That being said, going from the 4S to the XR was 'relatively' straightforward...but not something I want to try at the moment as snowed under with other stuff

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » June 13th, 2022, 11:25 am

With old phones with weak batteries remember to use the charger and a y-split power/data cable if doing a cable to cable settings transfer.

It's the diminished peak current capability that is the issue not the length of charge it will hold. If it's got wireless charging capability it still might not provide enough peak current, wireless charging is much less efficient. Some of the fast charge wireless systems might manage it (check the specs).

I forgot when doing my Nexus 5 to Pixel 3a transfer and the Nexus 5 flaked out halfway through. Luckily most of the settings were backed up elsewhere so I recovered okay but it was still a PITA at the time...

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”