Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Anonymous,bruncher,niord,gvonge,Shelford, for Donating to support the site

Laptop for data analysis?

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
blueloch

Laptop for data analysis?

Postby blueloch » February 27th, 2023, 9:01 pm

I am training to become a data analyst and am looking to buy a laptop for my work. After some research online, the following two models are in the short list:

1. LG gram 16.

This model meets all my requirements in CPU, RAM, storage, monitor size, weight and battery life. My main concern is LG is not best known for its laptops and I am not so sure about the quality. It is also a Korean brand so I wonder about the after-sale support as well.

2. HP ENVY 17.

This model is a bit cheaper; it also meets my main requirements in CPU, RAM, storage and monitor. But it is heavier with a much shorter battery life. Some online reviews also indicate problems with the screen light, the mouse, the keyboard and the after-sale support.

Which one would be the better option? Advice would be much appreciated. Many thanks.

BobbyD
Lemon Half

Re: Laptop for data analysis?

Postby BobbyD » February 27th, 2023, 10:02 pm

If you are not happy keep looking. I definitely wouldn't buy the HP if you find the complaints credible, and weighing that sort of thing is very much an art.

You should be able to get some idea about the LG from a hands on or from watching/reading reviews. You never know about aftersales until you get there, but give your bow a second strong and make sure you pay with a credit card in case things go horribly wrong.

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » February 27th, 2023, 11:35 pm

I second the advice to keep going until you ARE happy - if you are looking at if for data analysis you're probably not looking at a cheap machine

I'm not familiar with LG laptops (but it looks smart) and I don't really like HP

I would suggest you have a look at the Lenovo range which most closely matches the LG you are considering.
They are popular in device schemes for education and have some models designed to be easily repairable as a result
There's a UK education portal here: https://www.lenovo.com/gb/en/student-discounts/ and you never need to worry too much about any given sale price as there's always more offers and promotions coming up.

Good luck
-sd

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » February 28th, 2023, 3:48 pm

If you need workstation class performance with sustained CPU/GPU loads then I'd check the thermal throttling performance with the better review sites that routinely run these tests.

A lot of 'high end' ultra books/laptops will be very fast across the board for a limited period and then the numbers start to dive once they heat up - the laws of physics catch up eventually. :)

https://www.notebookcheck.net/The-Best- ... 537.0.html

Gerry557
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gerry557 » March 1st, 2023, 9:02 am

I thought the LG gram got good reviews when I last looked. I wouldn't worry too much about your other concerns

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”