Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to gpadsa,Steffers0,lansdown,Wasron,jfgw, for Donating to support the site

Windows Explorer display setting

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
bitstrange

Windows Explorer display setting

Postby bitstrange » November 11th, 2016, 12:41 pm

At work we have a complicated system of filing electronic documents on a shared drive, with a huge sub-folder structure and long-winded naming conventions. I have to use Windows Explorer quite a lot in order to work on various documents and other files. When viewing a list of files within a folder (in the “Details” view), often the file names are too long to be displayed in full and are cut off by the next column. Because of the naming convention, it would be really helpful if I could see the full name of all the files. I know I can manually expand the width of the “Name” column, which I do on a regular basis, but I just work with so many different folders that it’s starting to annoy me that I have to do this pretty much every time. Is there any way I can set the default display in Windows Explorer so that the width of the Name column is always wide enough to show the full file name? I hope this makes sense! By the way, we're running Windows 7 Enterprise.

Thanks,

Est

Stompa
Lemon Slice

Re: Windows Explorer display setting

Postby Stompa » November 11th, 2016, 5:04 pm

AllYourBase

Postby AllYourBase » November 11th, 2016, 5:09 pm

Try this. In any folder, right click the Name column heading and choose "Size column to fit". Then on the Explorer menu, choose Organize > Folder and search options. On the View tab, click "Apply to folders". Does that help?

bitstrange

Postby bitstrange » November 14th, 2016, 3:55 pm

AllYourBase wrote:Try this. In any folder, right click the Name column heading and choose "Size column to fit". Then on the Explorer menu, choose Organize > Folder and search options. On the View tab, click "Apply to folders". Does that help?

Thanks, that's brilliant, does exactly what I wanted! :-)

Thanks,

Est

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”