Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to GrahamPlatt,gpadsa,Steffers0,lansdown,Wasron, for Donating to support the site

Domain and email hosting transfers

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Domain and email hosting transfers

Postby Infrasonic » November 11th, 2016, 5:07 pm

Currently looking at transferring one of my my domains registration and email hosting/forwarding to 1+1, as it seems to be the most economic way to go by comments on a previous thread.

Any pointers appreciated as to costs, their website has a lot of info but I just want to know the basic £ from someone who's already done it.

One domain (co.uk), one address, current registration runs out April 2017. If I transfer early am I just swallowing the fee or does a credit balance get transferred also? Likewise email hosting/forwarding.

Fasthosts are the current registrar/email hosting company.

didds
Lemon Half

Re: Domain and email hosting transfers

Postby didds » November 12th, 2016, 7:59 pm

do 1+1 charge to transfer a domain in?

that i think is the crux.

if its free - then its not a problem id say... when the domain is due for expiration you renew it at 1+1 and on you go.

If they do charge and its not cost effective to do so with a charge, then all you could do is wait for your domain to expire then buy it afresh at 1+1. However, you may find that this won;t be as easy as buying it the day after it allegedly expires, as domains are usually held over for three months after expiry date. You also run the risk of waiting until after expiry that somebody else may buy it!

I think you need to find out from 1+1 what the course of action is TBH

other than that the "technical" bits to consider are

making a note of any DNS settings you have with the current host, as these may not always get transferred, and definitely won't be there if you need to expire then repurchase.

didds

stooz
Site Admin

Postby stooz » November 12th, 2016, 10:31 pm

Personally I would not switch from fasthosts to 1.1 having used both

The best service I have ever had its from vidahost.com. excellent support. this site is under them.

https://my.vidahost.com/aff.php?aff=3271

pottager

Postby pottager » November 13th, 2016, 7:48 pm

stooz wrote:The best service I have ever had its from vidahost.com. excellent support.

Vidahost is the same company as TSOHOST, which I recommended on the other thread.

supremetwo
Lemon Quarter

Postby supremetwo » November 13th, 2016, 8:09 pm

pottager wrote:
stooz wrote:The best service I have ever had its from vidahost.com. excellent support.

Vidahost is the same company as TSOHOST, which I recommended on the other thread.

Yes and my transfers to TSO were seamless.

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”