Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Pre pay for dummies

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
JonE
Lemon Slice

Re: Pre pay for dummies

Postby JonE » March 12th, 2024, 10:28 am

Infrasonic wrote:£2.50 a month [Now] deal...This is a PAYG plan valid for 30 days

The 'true' PAYG on Now seems to require top-up every 90 days whereas RWG say (and this matches my experience) "You can use our service on a simple pay-as-you-go basis. Just top-up your account and charges will be deducted as and when you use it. Your credit will never expire.":
Scroll down past 'Bundles' on https://www.rwgmobile.wales/rates-plans-eng-per/

Cheers!

Stompa
Lemon Slice

Postby Stompa » March 12th, 2024, 1:22 pm

JonE wrote:I don't recollect ever seeing RWG mentioned in these pages but they offer PAYG with non-expiring credit charging voice at 5p per minute, SMS at 5p plus data at 1p per MB. Various 'teaser' & in-advance plans are on short-term offer from time to time which may suit some users better than PAYG.

I've had no problems whatsoever with PAYG over last 18+ months (including roaming in EU) and am still using the initial credit I loaded onto it. Free SIM is available pre-loaded with £1 credit for testing purposes:
https://www.rwgmobile.wales

Cheers!
(usual disclaimer applies)

Yes, I use RWG too and would also recommend. If using purely for PAYG then they fairly frequently have double top-up offers, which effectively halves the cost of calls etc. Potential disadvantages are no Wi-Fi calling (they've been saying it's coming soon for a long while now), and no band 20.

elkay
Lemon Slice

Postby elkay » March 12th, 2024, 1:41 pm

Stompa wrote:Yes, I know that's what it says, but that's not what happened for me. I think I did pay 1p to activate the plan, and my subsequent manual reactivation was indeed free. However, when I attempted to manually reactivate for the second time they wanted 1p, which was taken from my balance. I was also offered the option of setting up automatic reactivation, but that had to be done by credit card (or Paypal I think). You couldn't have automatic reactivation where the 1p was taken from your balance, goodness knows why not.

My initial topup was indeed £2.50, but having just checked the minimum I'm now offered is £5.

There is a long thread about TalkHome here:

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/talk/thread ... ome.39594/

Thanks for the update with your experience. On the basis of this, the linked thread, and no response to my enquiries, I think I'll steer well clear.
I note that B20 is also not available with Talk Home.

elkay

Stompa
Lemon Slice

Postby Stompa » March 12th, 2024, 2:25 pm

elkay wrote:I note that B20 is also not available with Talk Home.

AFAIK 1pmobile is the only MVNO on EE that offers B20.

Maroochydore
Lemon Slice

Postby Maroochydore » March 12th, 2024, 2:29 pm

James wrote:Thanks for the replies.
Tesco appears to require a minimum top up of £10, which only lasts 28 days from what I can ascertain, but happy to be proved wrong.

Think the 28 days refers to their Rocket Packs which they are trying to push. I know I put £10 on very, very infrequently and it doesn't expire.

May be worth asking Tesco Mobile if you are interested.

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”